Vinyl reissues

I've never been sure why Maiden has not released more live stuff ... there is a market for it. They don't have to go Deep Purple nuts with it, but I imagine a release from AMOLOD tour, something from when Blaze was in the band, earlier stuff would draw interest. there are certainly plenty of bootlegs out there that sound pretty releasable almost as-is

I don't think the EMI holding the rights is that big of an issue. As CFH said, it's not like they are making money on those albums. It is probably a matter of the band's management simply not being bothered to get the rights to those albums at this time. Maybe now that the catalog of studio albums is being completed, they will look into the more obscure archival stuff. If Virtual XI on vinyl is a big seller, that might as well signal to the band that they can release just about anything at this point and there will be a demand for it.

Does anyone have a source for EMI holding the rights to some albums etc?

I thought EMI was broken up and doesn't exist anymore.

It's also uncharacteristic of Maiden to not be in control of their music.

Does anyone have a source for EMI holding the rights to some albums etc?

I thought EMI was broken up and doesn't exist anymore.

It's also uncharacteristic of Maiden to not be in control of their music.

:facepalm: He's exactly right. I totally forgot. EMI was acquired by UMG in 2012.

Unrelated to the new reissues, but a general vinyl question: Which of the albums were originally released as gatefolds? Was Powerslave the first?

Unrelated to the new reissues, but a general vinyl question: Which of the albums were originally released as gatefolds? Was Powerslave the first?

Yup, Piece of Mind was released as a Gatefold in Europe at least, but not in North America or Japan.
Live after Death was also Gatefold and Fear of the Dark too.
The X Factor and every reunion record as well.
Powerslave was not released as a Gatefold cover.

Fun facts:
The Number of the Beast was released as a gatefold in Venezuela. So that was technically speaking the first.

Somewhere in Time was released as a gatefold in Peru.

Last edited:
I have this vague idea that Powerslave wasn't a gatefold in Europe, but I have no evidence on my hands to check.

My Powerslave isnt gatefold and its some kind of European original issue, maybe German, cant remember.
Given Steves professed love of the gatefold format and the level of the artwork I thought it would of been standard.

Yup, Piece of Mind was released as a Gatefold in Europe at least, but not in North America or Japan.
Live after Death was also Gatefold and Fear of the Dark too.
The X Factor and every reunion record as well.
Powerslave was not released as a Gatefold cover.

A Real Live One , A Real Dead One were gatefolds too from the pre-reunion days. I think Virtual XI was too

My original copy of Powerslave, which I bought in the U.S. the week (maybe even day) of its release in 1984, is not a gatefold. But the cover does have a neato "pebbled" texture.

My original copy of Powerslave, which I bought in the U.S. the week (maybe even day) of its release in 1984, is not a gatefold. But the cover does have a neato "pebbled" texture.

Same here for the UK release which I bought on day one in 1984. A textured cover but not gatefold. ;)

Bought the first eight on vinyl on release, with the exception of the first two
Live After Death was the only gatefold.

Went to a vinyl fair just recently, and they had loads of Maiden stuff like Brave New World for ridiculous prices. I just thought... In a couple of months we'll see these re-released. And behold!

I imagine those old pressings will keep their value, especially since most (if not all?) are picture discs. Last year's BNW might go back down, although a sealed copy will probably keep its value.

I went to a record convention last week too which is what inspired my gatefold question. I picked up POM and realized the only Maiden album from the 80s that I own in a gatefold version is LAD. Always thought Maiden were a big gatefold band, surprised that isn't really the case.

No one was a really big gatefold band, just because of cost ... until CD length pretty much dictated double albums. LAD was the only Maiden 80s Gatefold

Got a shipping notice that the box with No Prayer, FotD, X-Factor, and Virtual XI will be here today .... so something to listen to over the weekend.

Back