The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Well I think they might change TOAC for WTRRD now.
I was thinking The Great Unknown might replace something, since IIRC in 2015 Adrian commented on it potentially getting played live (I wanna say it was something like "dreading it a bit" because of the weird tuning on the acoustic guitar). It'd be a pretty strange and un-Maiden move to bring in a new song from the album on the second year of touring behind it, but we live in strange times!

For clarification, he was speaking in answer to being asked if they would play any other TBOS material, he didn't bring it up himself. However, the fact that they've published the interview, including that comment, at this stage, does make me wonder if it's a hint!

It's hard to gauge crowd reaction live. There were people enjoying RATB, and others looking a bit lost (as there were through several newer songs). From general fan discussion of the album, though, it still seems to be one of those love or hate songs.

I kinda forget I've heard TRATB live to be quite honest, it wasn't that memorable at Download last year. Maybe I was too distracted by some dicks in the crowd to pay attention fully.

I kinda forget I've heard TRATB live to be quite honest, it wasn't that memorable at Download last year. Maybe I was too distracted by some dicks in the crowd to pay attention fully.
It worked a lot better indoors. There were a lot of distractions at Download, not least keeping your footing in the quagmire, and it didn't come across as well as it did in a more confined area.

I get that TRATB is a controversial tune, but I'm not really sure how it's a possibility that they won't play it on the next leg. The Harris epic always gets played (with one exception).

I love The Red and the Black. It's funny though too, because on the album I always considered it a "meh" song. But seeing it live in Tulsa 2016 blew me away. They absolutely nailed it, and the part of the crowd I happened to be in was really into it. And so I was excited to see it again in Chicago one month later, and loved it a second time.

Hope it stays in the setlist. But if it did get swapped out, it wouldn't bother me that much, just because I have already seen it twice now. If they do swap it out, they better appropriately fill that thirteen minutes rather by playing two songs in it's place or another 10-13 minute epic (Sign of the Cross? Rime? When The Wild Wind Blows?)...

I get that TRATB is a controversial tune, but I'm not really sure how it's a possibility that they won't play it on the next leg. The Harris epic always gets played (with one exception).

I don't love TRATB and, as @Demigod_Tyek said, I've seen it twice so I'd love for it to get swapped out. However, I definitely don't see that happening. They have a beer named after the song, so for marketing reasons I don't imagine Rod will allow it to go anywhere.

Also, what's the exception?

With the talk of extra Books of Souls songs being played, I thought I'd try a BOS-tastic setlist (Not quite full AMOLAD-spec)

If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
Tears of a Clown
The Great Unknown
The Red and the Black
The Trooper
Shadows of the Valley
When the River Runs Deep
The Book of Souls
Hallowed
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Rainmaker
Blood Brothers
Wasted Years

Another Harris sort of epic that didn't get played is Mother Russia.

At only 5:32s I've never really considered Mother Russia to be an epic.

Most songs are longer, even older ones before NPFTD. For example, Where Eagles Dare comes in at over 6 mins and is thought of as an opener by most, not an epic. I think if Mother Russia was placed somewhere else in the running order on NPFTD nobody would even consider it being an epic :)

Back