Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Whenever I hear a German person speak, it feels like all they ever say is "Arbeiten" or some conjugation of the same verb.

Which is stereotypically funny considering what it means.

1263597_1.jpg

If a flight is overbooked, you do have to give up your seat by law if asked to do so and if someone puts up a fight like that man did, then yes, the way he was removed was fine by me. But it turned out a bit differently so UA did fuck that one up.

If a flight is overbooked, you do have to give up your seat by law if asked to do so...
Why would they ever offer incentives then?
... and if someone puts up a fight like that man did, then yes, the way he was removed was fine by me.
Haven't seen any evidence he put up a fight, have you?
But it turned out a bit differently so UA did fuck that one up.
What turned out differently? You just said you were fine with what happened.

They offer incentives to help better the chances of someone giving up their seat.

He put up resistance by refusing to give up his seat.

What turned out differently is that the flight was not overbooked.

Also, see this: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...nts-before-man-was-dragged-off-united-flight/ It seems he was hoping for a bit lawsuit. Another thing. Do a bit of research on Dao. They're making him sound like this wonderful Doctor. He was arrested for trading drugs for gay sex. That doesn't change anything with UA, but they shouldn't make it sound like he's this wonderful doctor.

Well I'm not a fan of airlines purposely overbooking flights to begin with, but my biggest issue is that they didn't resolve the situation before the passenger boarded the plane. Once the plane has been boarded and the passenger is sitting in his seat, it's not right to then come over and tell them they have to get up and leave.

Because something like this has most likely never happened before and passengers are usually fine with getting bumped, they didn't have a good reason to take care of it before the he boarded the plane. And if my dad is right and it's a law that you have to give up your seat, then it is their right to tell them they have to get up and leave.

The other thing is, even if you were right and it was according to law to ask him to give up his seat, I'd question whether the private airline company is entitled to enforce the law in such a way as to beat the bloke silly.

They offer incentives to help better the chances of someone giving up their seat.
Yes, I've said this already.
He put up resistance by refusing to give up his seat.
Again, where is the evidence of this? "Put up resistance"; you mean, said no?
What turned out differently is that the flight was not overbooked.
So the action was totally unjustified then, you'd agree? And I'd assume your Dad ("if my dad is right and it's a law that you have to give up your seat, then it is their right to tell them they have to get up and leave") would agree it certainly wasn't lawful to drag him off the plane either?
It seems he was asked, and he said no. Any evidence anyone else was asked before or after him? Is he the only guy ever who's said no when asked to make room for airline staff through the fault of overbooking?
Another thing. Do a bit of research on Dao.
I hadn't thought of doing that before, do go on...
They're making him sound like this wonderful Doctor.
They did mention he was a Doctor, yes, I remember that. Wonderful, no, don't recall that...
He was arrested for trading drugs for gay sex.
Ahh, I see where you're going here. The man's a criminal! And UA would have known that, right? And it was some sort of "gay" crime, so that makes it worse, what with him being a Doctor and all. I mean, imagine that was your Doctor & you found that out about him? It's even possible he associates with gay people. Maybe he is gay? Jesus, how awful. That's got to be illegal, right?
That doesn't change anything with UA...
Indeed, we shouldn't let our narrow-minded personal prejudices get in the way of the facts.
... but they shouldn't make it sound like he's this wonderful doctor.
Quite. And this is probably the most important point. Yes, this man was manhandled & dragged off the plane; "assaulted" would probably be the legal jargon. But, he wasn't very good at his job. People should know that.

Last edited:
@Travis The Dragon let me offer you another perspective on this. I don't know if you've ever flown before, but as someone who flies quite frequently, let me tell you that if I found myself in an overbooked flight and would be asked to give up my seat, law or not, I'd be pissed. The company gave me the promise that they would fly me to a certain spot at a certain time, I made my arrangements around this promise, and I gave them my money for this promise. I am entitled to this service - I am not responsible for the company's poor business decisions. I did my part to ensure that I get this service. I paid for it in advance, I spend several hours getting to the airport, going through security and passport control, I spend extra money at the airport for overpriced services like drinks, which I am not allowed to bring in from outside, I wait at the gate, I perhaps go through frustrating experiences such as rush hour gate changes or technical failures (something frequent at Berlin's third world airports), and I somehow make it through an ill-behaved crowd to get to my seat on board. If I went through all of this and through no fault of my own, I'd be denied the service, I'd absolutely refuse to accept this. If I got dragged out and experienced physical violence, I'd be willing to sue the airline to the point where it is no longer operational.

Back