The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Their sets have been closer to 2 hours for quite a few tours now. I just checked last year's Wacken show and that comes in at exactly 1 hour and 59 minutes.

Oh cool - for some reason, I thought they were still at 90-100 min mark. Thanks. I never paid much attention to set times when watching online stuff recently.

18 minutes in a 2 hour set is quite a chunk, especially given the various demands of the fanbase.

So,we'll soon get some bad quality videos form each show.....yeaaaahhhh...

Oh cool - for some reason, I thought they were still at 90-100 min mark. Thanks. I never paid much attention to set times when watching online stuff recently.

18 minutes in a 2 hour set is quite a chunk, especially given the various demands of the fanbase.
EotC's never getting played in a regular set for multiple reasons, and the length is definitely one of them. I think the best bet for it ever getting played is some special one-off event, probably complete with a small orchestra to do the song right.

Less than 2 weeks until showtime. The question is what route will they go with the set. Are they going to embrace TNOTB's 35 anniversary? Are they going to go the safe route with previously proven live tracks? Are they going to change anything?

If they want to celebrate TNOTB's 35 anniversary I would go with this:

IESF
SOL
COTD
22AA
TRATB
Trooper
Powerslave
DOG
TBOS
HBTN
FOTD
IM
---------------------
TNOTB
RTTH
Wasted Years

5 TNOTB tracks, 5 TBOS tracks.

I doubt Blood Brothers is getting replaced. It went over really well and it's included in the tour promo video. Plus I don't think Bruce is up for RTTH in the encore anyway, I believe they tried that in rehearsals for the 2011 tour but had to go with Running Free in the end, and I don't think they want to risk it anyway.

Nah, my bet is on a pretty "safe" setlist in the sense that not much gets changed from last year since it worked pretty well. Children of the Damned might get swapped with something like Revelations and I think there's a small chance Tears of a Clown is replaced by another reunion era track (Coming Home and Brave New World both feel like good possibilities). Although honestly I think Maiden might surprise this year and not change the setlist at all, or maybe swap out one song and call it a day. No evidence, just a feeling I have.

I can't see them celebrating NOTB's 35 year anniversary. They already tried and failed to mark it's 25 year anniversary.

I doubt Blood Brothers is getting replaced. It went over really well and it's included in the tour promo video. Plus I don't think Bruce is up for RTTH in the encore anyway, I believe they tried that in rehearsals for the 2011 tour but had to go with Running Free in the end, and I don't think they want to risk it anyway.

Nah, my bet is on a pretty "safe" setlist in the sense that not much gets changed from last year since it worked pretty well. Children of the Damned might get swapped with something like Revelations and I think there's a small chance Tears of a Clown is replaced by another reunion era track (Coming Home and Brave New World both feel like good possibilities). Although honestly I think Maiden might surprise this year and not change the setlist at all, or maybe swap out one song and call it a day. No evidence, just a feeling I have.
This is the safest bet. I just hope they keep Children of the Damned and Powerslave in the set.

EotC's never getting played in a regular set for multiple reasons, length is definitely one of them. I think the best bet for it ever getting played is some special one-off event, probably complete with a small orchestra to do the song right.

As for EotC, I think you can substitute the orchestra with an electric violin... I doubt Maiden would add a player for song, so if Adrian, Dave or Jannick could play it then the possibly of hearing it would greatly increase. However, Maiden did add a keyboardist for the song 7th son of a 7th son. I also think the song can easily be shortened 13 minutes. I tend to hear everything repeated in groups of 4 on Iron Maiden songs...you can really pep up a song reducing the repetitions. I don't know the proper musical terms for how to describe this style of musical playing.

wishing for Empire of the Clouds is like wishing for Caught Somewhere in Time. It's too complex and probably a mindfvck to even think of pulling off live the way it would sound on the album... I'd like "The Man of Sorrows" and "The Great Unknown" from TBOS if they changed any actual album based songs

wishing for Empire of the Clouds is like wishing for Caught Somewhere in Time. It's too complex and probably a mindfvck to even think of pulling off live the way it would sound on the album... I'd like "The Man of Sorrows" and "The Great Unknown" from TBOS if they changed any actual album based songs
Agree totally with that, would love both (or even one) of these to get an airing this time round, preferably in place of , TOAC.....

Some of the songs on AMOLAD are pretty complex and they did all of that. Hell, almost every long epic they've done has had a fair amount of complexity to them.

However, Maiden did add a keyboardist for the song 7th son of a 7th son.

AFAIK, the keyboardist in question is Michael Kenney, Steve's bass tech. I believe he plays all the keyboard/orchestral parts, but does so from behind the stage set. Seventh Son was kind of his 12 minutes of fame.

Less than 2 weeks until showtime. The question is what route will they go with the set. Are they going to embrace TNOTB's 35 anniversary?

The NOTB nostalgia has kind of been done to death (first 2 history tours and AMOLAD 2007). If Maiden does go for an anniversary theme, I suspect it'll either be SIT 30th (HCW replaces Powerslave, maybe SIASL for TOAC) or FOTD 25th (COTD out for ATSS, Be Quick or Be Dead shoehorned in somewhere). But I reckon we'll see a largely unchanged setlist

AFAIK, the keyboardist in question is Michael Kenney, Steve's bass tech. I believe he plays all the keyboard/orchestral parts, but does so from behind the stage set. Seventh Son was kind of his 12 minutes of fame.

The NOTB nostalgia has kind of been done to death (first 2 history tours and AMOLAD 2007). If Maiden does go for an anniversary theme, I suspect it'll either be SIT 30th (HCW replaces Powerslave, maybe SIASL for TOAC) or FOTD 25th (COTD out for ATSS, Be Quick or Be Dead shoehorned in somewhere). But I reckon we'll see a largely unchanged setlist

I believe if they wanted to do a SIT celebration, it'd would've been done last year but heck, I'm open to it more than anything else. I do remember reading that Steve said they won't change much. Maybe one or two songs.... I hope they drop Tears of a Clown and Children of the Damned... or Blood Brothers..

Children of the damned can be replaced by Revelations...and if i had my wish they would replace Red and Black with RotAM or Paschendale
Empire being in the set is just a dream, but it would be awesome

I believe if they wanted to do a SIT celebration, it'd would've been done last year but heck, I'm open to it more than anything else. I do remember reading that Steve said they won't change much. Maybe one or two songs.... I hope they drop Tears of a Clown and Children of the Damned... or Blood Brothers..
Or Somewhere Back In Time since the name of the tour pretty much had the name of the album.

I always thought that whole tour would've made a lot more sense if they'd played Caught Somewhere in Time and Stranger in a Strange Land in the encore instead, and left all the Seventh Son tracks out. It would've made the tour more of a 1984-1986 appreciation run with four songs from Powerslave and four from Somewhere in Time, with only FotD being the odd song out that doesn't fit in that period.

This would've also made the Maiden England setlist far better since both the title track and Moonchild would've last played been in '88, while The Clairvoyant and CIPWM would've had close to a 10 year break. Compare to how things actually happened where SSOASS, The Prisoner and ATSS were the only tracks they hadn't played relatively recently.

I always thought that whole tour would've made a lot more sense if they'd played Caught Somewhere in Time and Stranger in a Strange Land in the encore instead, and left all the Seventh Son tracks out. It would've made the tour more of a 1984-1986 appreciation run with four songs from Powerslave and four from Somewhere in Time, with only FotD being the odd song out that doesn't fit in that period.

This would've also made the Maiden England setlist far better since both the title track and Moonchild would've last played been in '88, while The Clairvoyant and CIPWM would've had close to a 10 year break. Compare to how things actually happened where SSOASS, The Prisoner and ATSS were the only tracks they hadn't played relatively recently.
That's because the original plan was to release Maiden England at the end of SBIT and have both eras covered with one tour. Maiden England was planned after they realized the phenomenal success SBIT was, resulting in some overlap. However, if they hadn't been so lazy with Maiden England things could have turned out better, I agree.

Back