METALLICA SURVIVOR 2016: Results - Fade to Black wins again

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ride the Lightning has qualities beyond the songwiting that makes it superior to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All. It has an impeccable atmosphere.

I don't think Ride the Lightning suffers from filler or meh/boredom. Creeping Death is an impressive and anthemic in your face riff fest headbanger and the other songs have variation, some of them with melodic brilliance. Also: the best guitar leads (harmony and end-solo) are on the Ride the Lightning album, namely Fade to Black. That harmony might be in my top 3 of all time, by any band.

The problem I have with with Puppets is that I miss the melodic/catchy-aspects from its predecessor. Especially shown on the second half. When Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is over I already have the idea "Well, that was that, the rest is only going to be less". Instead of putting emphasis on melody, Puppets, relies heavily on riffs. Now if some of those riffs were less repetitive, and if some of the songs had more melodic passages built in, then it'd be a different matter. As a whole, there’s not much variety, especially the mood feels the same most of the time.

Justice... suffers from the same Puppets syndrome. Most songs are repetitive and monotone, thus a big majority of the album bores me to tears.

Eliminated:
... And Justice For All

METALLICA 2016
10. ... And Justice For All

I love the first two tracks and the last two tracks on Puppets. The stuff in between is pretty good but not at the same caliber. Justice is good but still doesn't live up to RTL. Both albums hint to the band's eventual drift into mediocrity.

Neither Puppets nor Justice contain songs as weak as Fight Fire With Fire and Trapped Under Ice or as sappy as Escape. The other five songs on Lightning are great - I'll give it that - but not great enough to make it a better album than its two followers.

I don't think Ride the Lightning suffers from filler or meh/boredom. Creeping Death is an impressive and anthemic in your face riff fest headbanger and the other songs have variation, some of them with melodic brilliance. Also: the best guitar leads (harmony and end-solo) are on the Ride the Lightning album, namely Fade to Black. That harmony might be in my top 3 of all time, by any band.

The problem I have with with Puppets is that I miss the melodic/catchy-aspects from its predecessor. Especially shown on the second half. When Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is over I already have the idea "Well, that was that, the rest is only going to be less". Instead of putting emphasis on melody, Puppets, relies heavily on riffs. Now if some of those riffs were less repetitive, and if some of the songs had more melodic passages built in, then it'd be a different matter. As a whole, there’s not much variety, especially the mood feels the same most of the time.

Justice... suffers from the same Puppets syndrome. Most songs are repetitive and monotone, thus a big majority of the album bores me to tears.

Completely disagree.
Ride has a block of 3 killer tunes, a good closing song, and the rest is meh.

Puppets is killer because all the songs fit together well. It is a complete album. For me, other than the opener, and the closer, the rest is perfect. And those 2 aren't bad, just weak in comparison to everything else on the album.
I want killer riffs from Metallica. I could care less about being melodic if the song is weak / boring.

For me, their best albums are
Puppets
Justice
Black
Lightning

Eliminated:
Blackened

You guys are evil..

METALLICA 2016
9. Blackened

Why, it's nothing special, should have gone already

Why MOP has so many votes is the real question...

Eliminated:
The Call of Ktulu

METALLICA 2016

8. The Call of Ktulu
9. Blackened

Back