METALLICA SURVIVOR 2016: Results - Fade to Black wins again

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
oPxbFrB.jpg

I think Metallica has seven good albums, personally, but the fact that the entire Top 10 consists of RTL, MOP and AFJA is not ridiculous.

I'd probably switch AFJA title track for All Nightmare Long or The Four Horsemen, but outside of that it's a great Top 10.

I am half kidding. I enjoy Kill Em All and the last two albums, but they are all pretty average Metal albums. They are only in the conversation for greatest Metal bands because of the three albums represented in this top ten.

I am half kidding. I enjoy Kill Em All and the last two albums, but they are all pretty average Metal albums. They are only in the conversation for greatest Metal bands because of the three albums represented in this top ten.

I can pretty much agree with that.
Though I might add a 4th, the black album.
That's the one that put them over the top as far as mainstream acceptance. Even though it isn't as strong as the previous 3 where they were more hardcore. It is still a solid piece of work that stands on it's own.

I hate the black album. But I recognize the success it brought them and that it helped them transcend being just another metal band.

I'm in a similar boat. I don't care for Kill 'Em All, but I recognize the important foundation it set. I also don't care for the Black Album, but I recognize how important it was their career, and for bringing an entire army of new fans to metal/heavy music.

I loved their progressive thrash era with the those middle three records. MOP still competes with SIT/Powerslave/Seventh Son for my personal top albums of all time.

Too much album focus/stigmatizing overshadows recognition for quality in individual songs. Horsemen really has a lot going on. It would win head to head battles vs Justice and Ktulu for sure. It probably could beat Blackened as well.

Last edited:
I can definitely understand how some may feel that the black album sounds sterile and simple compared to the albums that came before it, but the album has truckloads of power and crunch and is well-praised for a reason.

The real question becomes which album is better: Puppets or Justice? I'm going with the latter because even though it has no bass I feel it has less filler and punchier songs.

Justice would probably get the edge for me. Although you could take the best songs from both to make an album almost as good as RTL.

Back