METALLICA SURVIVOR 2016: Results - Fade to Black wins again

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, same goes for Now That We're Dead. Honestly, there's not a bad song on the first disc. The title track is the worst and that's only because the chorus lyrics are idiotic, but the music is great.

Man Am I Savage is the next best song on Disc 2 after Spit Out the Bone. How did it get eliminated already?

Well I gave Hardwired a second listen and I think I can safely say how it ranks overall. Better production than Death Magnetic, but not as good music. The double album thing is extremely stupid and unnecessary. First of all, you could fit all the music on one disc. There's no thematic or musical difference between the two discs so it doesn't make any difference. They aren't sequenced in any clever way either. It's strange to me that Lords of Summer didn't make it to the main album. Plenty of room for more and would've been a nice upbeat moment on disc 2. Secondly, there's a lot of filler. Everything from Dream No More to Here Comes Revenge is average at best.

This could've been a really solid 50 minute album. Something like this:
Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Dream No More
Lords of Summer
Am I Savage?
Spit Out the Bone

I might just keep a playlist for that album, because if that was the sequence it would be up there with their best. Which brings me to the positives of the album. When it's good, it's the best they've sounded since the 80s. The energy is there, the riffs are there, and the music just sounds great. Disc 1 makes for a near perfect album. There are throwback tunes like Hardwired, really melodic heavy tunes like Atlas Rise and Moth, and also some songs that show a progression from the more groovy 90s Metallica. Halo On Fire isn't my favorite moment on the album, but I can appreciate them acknowledging that side of the band.

The problem is really how long it took for them to make this. People like to talk about quality over quantity, but this just feels like another Metallica album. It's not particularly daring or special, it's just a solid Metal album. The kind of solid Metal album that smaller bands can pump out on a regular basis. And those are usually better. If they were releasing albums at this level on a regular basis, it would make sense. That's basically what Megadeth does at least. I'd say Dystopia was pretty much at the same level as Hardwired and they release an album every 2 or 3 years. Then trying to pretend that they put extra music on the album by arbitrarily splitting it into two CDs adds insult to injury.

Overall it's a solid album. I'd say it's better than all 90s Metallica albums and St. Anger. If they could use the momentum from this album and quickly get started on the next one, they could be on to something great.

I can't vote cuz I still havent heard Hardwired. I'm really behind, I still havent heard Dystopia.

Eliminated:
Now That We're Dead
Dream No More
Confusion
Lords of Summer

Sorry about the delay. I forgot this existed. This should be the last round before the finals.

Eliminated:
Nothing Else Matters
Hardwired
Halo On Fire

The number 2 and 3 seeds from each album join the game, after another round or two the number one seeds will jojn. (Seeds being determined which songs received the least amount of votes)

Atlas. Rise! was promoted as the #1 seed from Hardwired

Hit the Lights
The Call of Ktulu
Wherever I May Roam
The Memory Remains
That Was Just Your Life
Moth Into Flame
Spit Out the Bone

Eliminated:
Hit The Lights
The Outlaw Torn
The Memory Remains
Fuel
Frantic
Some Kind of Monster

One more round until the rest join.

Seek & Eliminate, Eliminate Sandman, Sad But Eliminated, Until It's Eliminated, Moth Into Elimination, Spit Out The Song.

I love its atmosphere. Surprisingly nice drumming by Lars, haunting leads, good vocals, good lyrics. Probably my favorite song of the Load/ReLoad era.

Back