USA Politics

People who are concerned by Trump's political impact do not struggle with the reality that he is the new President. On the contrary, because they understand this reality, they are concerned.

We may be talking past each other. Being concerned about his political impact is one thing. Dreaming up far-fetched impeachment scenarios is another. There may be some overlap between those two sets of people, but I find it hard to take the latter group seriously.

I'm not saying Trump can't be criticised, but Trump's critics need to do it like adults, or they'll only strengthen his popularity. If this behaviour from the mainstream left continues, I could see Trump getting re-elected.
I could see anything happening when policy and behaviour of a candidate/president(!) is less important than words/behaviour by
others. Everyone their own order of prefered focus.

Last edited:
Well, *some* of the left has become the same kinda enemy they used to fight....seeing left people and/or popular people (like Michael Moore, and a bunch of other artists and filmmakers) inciting to violence and hate....That's very embarrassing and doesn't make them any better than the violent extreme right.

Trump is the one currently complaining that the media is reporting accurate numbers for his inauguration, which seems to be all people can talk about. Which means people aren't talking about his early executive order gutting Obamacare.

I wonder if he'll be able to completely get rid of Obamacare or just parts of it. Hopefully he can make it so people who don't want it don't have to pay a fine every year.

Trump is already showing how "anti-establishment" he is with the people he hires. Hired ex-Rotschild Wilbur Ross to be the Secretary of Commerce, and Gary Cohn who was expected to be the heir apparent of Lloyd Blankfein at Goldman Sachs to be his economic advisor. Can't believe a billionaire ran on a campaign saying he's "for the people" and won by channeling the anti-establishment sentiment. Above all the polarizing statements, sexual assault allegations, this is the most mindboggling thing about his election.

Bernie Sanders was the only true anti-establishment candidate in the race.

I think what would have been really interesting is to see who won between Bernie and Trump.

Above all the polarizing statements, sexual assault allegations, this is the most mindboggling thing about his election.
Have to agree with this one. He was a political outsider in the sense that he never held public office, but he has been actively part of politics for years and a part of the "swamp" he promised to drain.

Have to agree with this one. He was a political outsider in the sense that he never held public office, but he has been actively part of politics for years and a part of the "swamp" he promised to drain.

That was the appeal of Obama as well ... no real "insider" record to attack. Hopefully we will get back to the trend of governors going forward.

The "Trump as President" madness has already started:

3500.jpg

Crowds on the National Mall just before Donald Trump’s inauguration in 2017 (left) and Barack Obama’s in 2009. Photograph: Reuters

The debut of this lying clown:

Rattled by the nation’s biggest political demonstrations since the Vietnam war, Trump and his aides spent an extraordinary first weekend in office falsely claiming that record numbers of people had attended his swearing-in on Friday.

Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer, used his first White House briefing to shout at journalists about what he incorrectly termed “deliberately false reporting” on Trump’s inauguration, declaring: “We’re going to hold the press accountable.”

“This was the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration, period,” said Spicer, in one of several statements contradicted by photographs and transit data. “These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...llyanne-conway-inauguration-alternative-facts

:lol:

Last edited:
And so it shall be written. And so it shall be done.

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/01/grea...ers-bizarre-n-korea-style-statement-yesterday

If you are puzzled by the bizarre “press conference” put on by the White House press secretary this evening (angrily claiming that Trump’s inauguration had the largest audience in history, accusing them of faking photos and lying about attendance), let me help explain it. This spectacle served three purposes:

1. Establishing a norm with the press: they will be told things that are obviously wrong and they will have no opportunity to ask questions. That way, they will be grateful if they get anything more at any press conference. This is the PR equivalent of “negging,” the odious pick-up practice of a particular kind of horrible man (e.g., Donald Trump).

2. Increasing the separation between Trump’s base (1/3 of the population) from everybody else (the remaining 2/3). By being told something that is obviously wrong—that there is no evidence for and all evidence against, that anybody with eyes can see is wrong—they are forced to pick whether they are going to believe Trump or their lying eyes. The gamble here—likely to pay off—is that they will believe Trump. This means that they will regard media outlets that report the truth as “fake news” (because otherwise they’d be forced to confront their cognitive dissonance.)

3. Creating a sense of uncertainty about whether facts are knowable, among a certain chunk of the population (which is a taking a page from the Kremlin, for whom this is their preferred disinformation tactic). A third of the population will say “clearly the White House is lying,” a third will say “if Trump says it, it must be true,” and the remaining third will say “gosh, I guess this is unknowable.” The idea isn’t to convince these people of untrue things, it’s to fatigue them, so that they will stay out of the political process entirely, regarding the truth as just too difficult to determine.

This is laying important groundwork for the months ahead. If Trump’s White House is willing to lie about something as obviously, unquestionably fake as this, just imagine what else they’ll lie about. In particular, things that the public cannot possibly verify the truth of. It’s gonna get real bad.

Last edited:
Back