Running Free

How good is Running Free on a scale of 1-10

• Total voters
  • A simplistic approach is fine. On a lot of occasions it works like a charm. But not when it leaves the song absent off any show of brilliance.
  • Rhythm is what makes a lot of tracks in the 80s Maiden work. Running Free has what possibly is the most boring rhythm section out of any Maiden song ever.
  • The guitar harmony part is decent, so are the chugging guitars right after it.
  • Fun lyrics, nothing particularly brilliant, a la Sanctuary.
4/10.

The guitars save this song. The riff is enjoyable, but the drums are flat out annoying. I hate the rhythm, and I don't like the lyrics.

7/10

You can't accuse Maiden's debut of lacking diversity. We had some sledgehammer metal, then a power ballad, and now we've got a simple old-style rock number, like something Free might have written (Paul would have fit like a glove in a band like that, wouldn't he?). Not a great song, but certainly a successful one. Good first single. 7.

I don't have anything special to say about this song - studio version never impressed me and I can live easily without it.
On the other hand, live version sometimes works well.

Overall, completely average song.

No real highlights.

5/10

Great live track, thin production kills it. As people have already said, pretty average song on record. 6

I suppose this shows the more punk side of Maiden rather than the metal side. It's a basic track in every sense of the word. I do really like the twin harmonies in the middle though. And I actually kinda dig the backing vocals from Stratton. Aside from that, it's the sort of song that seems clearly made for a live audience and falls flat in the studio.

Fun-ish one live, but there's really not a whole lot to it, really. 6/10 because I'm feeling charitable.

8/10. I used to hate this song TBH. I didn't understand why it was played live often lol. But since, the debut has became one of my favorite Maiden albums and I have really came around to this song. I was enjoying Maiden Japan earlier today and when this song came on I enjoyed it more than ever before! Still it isn't a 9 or 10 for me, but an enjoyable song to me!

6. Decent song and the part at 1:30 is especially catchy but not enough to lift it higher.

8 - Prowler
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Sanctuary
6 - Running Free

I find this version a bit annoying. The production really doesn't help. Still, it has certain qualities, but the song didn't click until Bruce made it into a live classic. However, it's gotten quite boring even with Bruce the last couple of years. 6/10

7/10. Perfect for a debut single. Worked better live in the old days, but it only works properly with Paul and Clive.
I heard it first in the LAD version and I didn't like it much. I still think the LAD version is the very worst, but none of the later versions are much better. Give me the Maiden Japan or BBC Archives versions any day.

10. My top Maiden song. Sentimentality certainly comes into it but theres nothing wrong with that when yer favourite band is concerned. To be fair, this particular version wouldnt be my favourite but its the only wan i can give a rating to here so 10 it is.

9/10

Love the feeling of this song. Simple and strict to the point.

Isn't it what rock n' roll is about?

It's a fun song and I actually quite like the rhythm section on it. But for some reason the chorus grates a bit. I love a lot of the early, punkier stuff but this is that bit too simplistic.

Good rocker, nothing special. Maybe slightly better than Sanctuary. It is a good song.

7/10

Last edited:
A simple but fun rocker that has really grown on me.
Highlight: The chugging instrumental
Lowlight: The soloing at the beginning of the instrumental
7/10

Back