BRUCE DICKINSON SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> Darkside Of Aquarius wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Yeah, Tyranny doesn't feel as solid or strong as CW/AoB. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the songs don't flow as well... and there is some filler on there that wasn't present on CW/AoB (made worse by the fact that Tyranny isn't that long to begin with). It's still pretty good overall.

It has a great chorus but the rest doesn't do much for me, will probably vote for it next round if it survives.

"Broken", "Silver Wings", "Mars Within", "Abduction", "Soul Intruders", "River of No Return", "Power of the Sun", "Devil on a Hog" and "Believil". Yes, I think Tyranny of Souls is not up to the standards of the 4 previous albums in terms of inspiration (only Tattooed Millionaire is at that level: is that to say that Bruce only does good solo stuff when he is out of Maiden?)

The power, menacing riffs and tight double bass drums, awesome chorus and solo in Soul Intruders are so much better than some seem to hear out here.

Mars Within - not a song
Soul Intruders - I agree with Foro about the amazing intro/outro, but I don't love the chorus and I think the verses are rather weak.
Power of the Sun - a fine song, but nothing special. Sounds like a Maiden B-side.
Devil on a Hog - because it's bad.
Believil - because it's worse.
Eternal - because I don't listen to Bruce Dickinson to hear Pink Floyd.
Broken - a fine song again, but it just doesn't sound like a Bruce song.

Re: Devil on a hog. I've come to the conclusion that many Maidenfans don't appreciate this type of simple, energetic song built around an repetitive riff and a catchy chorus. But for those, like me, who like that stuff, this song is great. In the '80s these were hits.

In regards to Eternal, Gilmour and Waters wish they could sing like that.

In which way?

Something about it just sounds like a 90's/early 2000's alt metal song to me. I like all the guitar work during the Maidenish harmony and the sparkly, spaced-out effect during the verses, but that post-chorus chug riff followed by Bruce's lame "CRUSHED!" really doesn't work for me. The chorus is fine, but the melody sounds more radio-metal than Bruce Dickinson to me. Also, the "whoah-oh" section here sounds out of place. I don't know if I'm describing myself correctly, it's just the general vibe I get from the song.

Regardless, Broken and (especially) Silver Wings are far superior to some of the songs that made the album. No doubt Tyranny of Souls would've been a stronger album had it included those two tracks and cut Hog and Believil.

In regards to Eternal, Gilmour and Waters wish they could sing like that.

Agreed. But I just don't like that kind of trippy, water-trickling down your soul in deep space sound.

Soul Intruders is awesome.
Re: Devil on a hog. I've come to the conclusion that many Maidenfans don't appreciate this type of simple, energetic song built around an repetitive riff and a catchy chorus. But for those, like me, who like that stuff, this song is great. In the '80s these were hits.
This has been done better both by solo Bruce and reunion era Maiden.

From Here to Eternity, Run to the Hills, Road to Hell, The Final Frontier, Bring your Daughter, Tattoed Millionaire, Different World - all meh by Maidenfans standards, all worthy of being singles by Maiden standards.

Eliminated after Round 15:
Mars Within - 16 votes
Believil - 14 votes
Power Of The Sun - 9 votes
Devil On A Hog - 9 votes
Eternal - 9 votes

Some people only like Bruce if he sounds like Maiden, sadly.

For example? No similar Bruce/Maiden songs come to my mind.
Not songs that necessarily sound similar to Devil On the Hog, but are simple energetic rockers that are superior:

Road to Hell, Different World, The Alchemist, The Wicker Man, Speed of Light, Death Or Glory, Montsegur, Freak, Starchildren, Soul Intruders, Abduction, The Mercenary, etc

Devil On A Hog is 2nd worst song on the album IMO (only Believil is worst and I don't count the intro), riffs are too hard-rock-ish for my taste and the chorus drags + Bruce is straining too much in it.

King in Crimson (best two solos you can find in a row)
Book of Thel (great ride of riffs and solos, with biting Bruce and catchy chorus)
Abduction (Roy in optima forma, fine up tempo metal track)
Soul Intruders (as promoted above)
Kill Devil Hill (gotta love that keyboard work, haunting stuff)
A Tyranny of Souls (remarkably epic. Man, that song has some beastly riffs. And what a chorus! Every time preceded by that cool echo of that single guitar chord. Later, the mid part gets very interesting with this complex rhythm, the hacking riffs and intriguing vocal harmonies; should be mentioned in my favourite Bruce vocal performances. Can this song finally do better in this game?)
Broken (I like the rhythmic aspects of this song, the heaviness and vocals)
Silver Wings (a top 3 Bruce song, with one of the best instrumental sections, grooving the deafest Ayatollahs out of their houses)

>
  1. Chemical Wedding (can't really say what I find less appealing, but in the last years I've grown more tired of it than other songs)
  2. The Tower (a little too standard to regard as being one of the greatest)
  3. Jerusalem (not the biggest fan of some vocal melodies)
  4. The Alchemist (decent beginning, dull second half)
  5. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun (annoying last two minutes; I regard this track as the most overrated thing he has ever done. It goes "on and on" and takes the form of a lullabye. Lullabye Bruce is not my favourite Bruce)
  6. River Of No Return (decent, but not that powerful as others)

Last edited:
"The Alchemist", "Abduction", "Soul Intruder", "River of No Return", "Tyranny of Souls", "Broken" and "Silver Wings".

By the way, where can I check what songs remain from the previous albums (1990-1997)?

Last edited:
Back