NOW READING

If this is accurate, the film will be a SEQUEL (!?) to the books and the TV series a prequel? Can you say disaster? Who thought this would be a good idea? Why not a more direct adaptation attempt like the lord of the rings films?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...n-the-works-idris-elba-will-return-as-a145323

A direct adaptation would have involved a fourth film taking place to 99% when the protagonist is 14 years old (or left that out entirely). Which is now what the TV-series adapts. As for the idea of the films being a sequel, this is very spoilerish, so unless you want the ending to the whole bookseries revealed, don't click:

The story is revealed to be cyclical, and it ends as it began, with minor differences. As Roland walks through the door at the top of the Dark Tower, he is thrown back to where the story began, with no memories of what's happened. Though a small change indicates that it's not an eternal cycle, but a journey towards a final redemption - or so most readers have interpreted it. The films will show his final redemption. Hollywood wouldn't have wanted a major film series with that kind of ending, so how about this?

I'm not convinced it will be a good film, and definitely not convinced that this idea about a TV-series to run along with it is good - but I'll be there at the premiere for the film to see for myself. :)

Just finished House of Darkness House of Light Vols I & II. They are written by one of the five girls in the Perron family who lived in the haunted farmhouse which was the inspiration (very loosely) for the film The Conjuring. Even though the books jump around chronologically, I like the story it tells far better than the film (which I loved). Especially in Vol II where she finally reveals the night the Warren confronted head on via a seance the demon in their house.

I can tell through the reading how close the female in the house were. By the way, the father of the family is a complete idiot. I also very much agree with her take on Catholicism as well.

@Ariana I confess I've never read it myself yet, but in this article I see some comparisons with The Catcher on the Rye.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...gs-first-english-translation?CMP=share_btn_fb
It is a novel lauded in the Netherlands as a modern classic, while its author is a literary titan. But British readers are unlikely to have heard of The Evenings or Gerard Reve.

Nearly 70 years after the novel’s publication and 10 years after Reve’s death, it has finally been translated into English. Set in Holland just after the second world war, it is a powerful story of an alienated young office worker who is cynical about his loving, middle-class parents and friends.

The novel went on to find such appreciation that it has never been out of print and was ranked by the Society of Dutch Literature as the country’s best novel of all time.

Daniel Seton, a commissioning editor at Pushkin Press, which is publishing it in the UK on 3 November, said: “It’s taught in schools over there. It’s a kind of cultural touchstone … It’s highly acclaimed critically and very popular – quite a rare combination.”

The Pushkin edition’s jacket bears a comment from Herman Koch, the Dutch bestselling author of The Dinner, who draws parallels between The Evenings and classics by the Americans Jack Kerouac and JD Salinger: “If The Evenings had appeared in English in the 1950s, it would have become every bit as much a classic as On the Road and The Catcher in the Rye.”

Victor Schiferli edited Reve’s books when he worked at the Dutch publisher De Bezige Bij. He said of The Evenings: “Maybe you can compare it to The Catcher in the Rye in terms of familiarity among readers. It’s [about] an adolescent contemplating how to live so, especially for late teenagers, it’s a book that they will read and always remember. Also when you’re older, it’s a very beautiful book to read.

Heard about it (taught about this author and some of his titles and behaviour), but it was not a must to read it. In fact there is no literal "every Dutch citizen must read at least...." At least, in my time we were able to compile our own reading lists (I did that for Dutch, English and German). Not everything was allowed of course, but there's a lot of other (big) authors. But yeah, other books by other authors seemed more interesting at the time. Who knows, later! :)

I don't get why this one was never translated into English before. I missed that.

Has anyone here read the books that Witcher (the video game) is based on? Opinions on it?
That's my favourite book series/fantasy universe ever. And literally is in my top 3 of all things in the world, but I obviously can't promise anyone will share this sentiment. ;)

When it comes to foreign versions of these books, the problem (besides the fact that I've heard some negative remarks about the English translation in general) is that the original has a very specific Slavic vibe and I think that's where a lot of its magic comes from. The language, familiar imagery etc... It all enhanced my experience when reading it. So I'm afraid some stuff is lost in translation, but well... As a foreign reader you won't notice that and will take the books for what they are. And they are amazing stories in an original, gritty universe filled with incredibly well constructed and memorable characters. If you like the games, then I can say they are a faithful adaptation of that world. The vibe is spot on and the plot happens to mirror some of the events from the novels (and short stories).

The Johan Cruyff biography. The master, the visionary, The Savior. The total footballer.

Despite his unimpressive stature and strength, Cruyff's tactical brain and reading of the game were exceptional.
For me the most important figure in football. Although he's carrying on his points more than just a few times, it's fascinating to read how this legend was formed and how he tells how it is (and should be).

That's my favourite book series/fantasy universe ever. And literally is in my top 3 of all things in the world, but I obviously can't promise anyone will share this sentiment. ;)

When it comes to foreign versions of these books, the problem (besides the fact that I've heard some negative remarks about the English translation in general) is that the original has a very specific Slavic vibe and I think that's where a lot of its magic comes from. The language, familiar imagery etc... It all enhanced my experience when reading it. So I'm afraid some stuff is lost in translation, but well... As a foreign reader you won't notice that and will take the books for what they are. And they are amazing stories in an original, gritty universe filled with incredibly well constructed and memorable characters. If you like the games, then I can say they are a faithful adaptation of that world. The vibe is spot on and the plot happens to mirror some of the events from the novels (and short stories).

Thanks for letting me know, I think I'll have a go!

Back