Metallica

That album is the closest they get to AJFA level for me, but it still really falls short. I can't pick out a single song I thoroughly enjoy, but there are so many awesome moments sprinkled throughout.

Would still take it over The Black Album, come at me! :D

I know this is a trite and overused critique of DM, but I still cannot get past the production. There are some 80s era worthy moments in that record, but the clipping drives me completely crazy to the point that I can't give it a proper listen.

If they had the crisp huge sound of the Black Album, DM would be an absolutely beast of a record.

Not overused IMO. That is one of the worst sounding mainstream albums I've ever heard.

Yeah, I tend to be overly critical of Shirley's production with Maiden, but at least I can say it's a stylistic preference...modern Maiden still sounds professionally produced (it's just not the production style I prefer). Whereas DM sounds like a high school intern was let into the mastering room. How can a band with access to the best talent and gear that the industry has to offer release something that sounds like that?

It's fine.

Vocal melodies continue to lack melody.
Riffs continue to be pedaled and chromatic with no emotion.
Kirk's solo is garbage.

Otherwise, it's fine.

I liked it a lot actually.

We already heard a little snippet from this song before, which turns out to be the verse. I loved the vocal rhythm there upon first hearing. "Build the higher wall" part is cool, the riff before the chorus makes for a less monotone track. Love James' vocals and the overall energy. Kirk's solo is the only downside, yet another trash solo.

Vocal melodies continue to lack melody.

"Build the higher wall" part definitely isn't lacking in melody.

I do like it and on second listen the vocals (and the lyrics) have grown on me. Dare I say they are the best part of the song.

Honestly, the main thing I don't like is...this is Metallica. These are the creators of modern heavy metal. Why is this entire song mostly a string of constantly palm-muted open Eb string with chromatic turnarounds? These are riffs that an 8th grade Metallica clone band could write. It's just boring riffwise.

I think they're going for a full on punk rock approach on this album. Either that, or they're picking the singles from the punk rock sounding stuff. Because the structures are very simple, the vocals and lyrics have a punk rock edge to them.

I thought it was fine. Nothing spectacular, but f the whole album is like this I'll probably enjoy it more than DM or anything else post AJFA.

I'll have to listen after work as it won't load. I'm now very excited to get of work!

Not bad. To me it sounds like a return to the streamlined simplicity of The Black Album and the Load albums..That's a good thing IMO.

The best post-Black album track. This song will go down well live, I bet. Better than anything else they did in the last 25 years.

Moth into flame is ok, seems pretty generic Metallica. I wouldn't be bothered forking out money for it. I have enough Metallica songs in my player.

I don't really listen to a whole lot of Metallica these days. That was just okay. I kinda agree with Knicks in respect to the whole palm-muted Eb/Em driven guitar lines with little else. Still, it's amazing how good a nice palm-muted Em sounds. I actually thought it sounded a little thin in those non-vocal sections; almost sounded like just one guitar. But, take away the vocals & there isn't a whole lot going on. I remember when I was young really liking Kirk as a guitar player. But, really, they could loose Kirk & it would make absolutely zero difference. Not really sure what he brings to the band. Is he still writing lots of the tracks?

Back