DREAM THEATER SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Well it's a progressive band so only appropriate that we have a progressive survivor. :p I look forward to doing the same with Opeth!

I think the popularity of the DT survivors also mirrors the band's growing popularity in general. I got into DT in 2010 and they seem to have been growing steadily since then. MP really picked the worst time to leave.

Do you think that (at least here on Maidenfans) their tour with Maiden helped? Wasn't that in 2010 too?

I'm sure it did. Made me a fan, probably others too. I know for sure of all the times I've seen Maiden (and any other major band really) that was the most support for the opening band I'd seen since Dio. Lots of people wearing DT shirts and some who were there just to see DT since that was the only major touring they did that year.

I think all the drama that came with MP leaving helped too actually. A great example of any press is good press. The DT guys also came off really well during a lot of that.

Listening to Happy Holidays. I don't think I've actually ever listened to this. I downloaded it the day it came out (Christmas 2013) and was excited to have an official live release from that tour because I'm a completist, but I was busy with Christmas festivities and also wasn't in a DT mood that week I guess. So I never really got around to it. I also didn't care much for the setlist for that tour. It was a solid selection of songs but no big favorites for me besides TGD, TCOT, and Learning to Live. Also nothing really rare. The big exception of course being The Count of Tuscany, which I did listen to right away. Worth noting that there are 3 songs on this release from the actual ADTOE 2012 tour: Another Day, To Live Forever, and As I Am.
  • Definitely bootleg quality, but I don't mind much. Unlike Chaos In Motion, which is a full official DVD, this was advertised as a bootleg so it's at least expected. It actually enhances some of the songs since it isn't mixed to the DT standard. In other words, you can hear Myung throughout and the guitar doesn't drown everything else. There are also a lot of Rudess parts that I've never noticed before because they're buried under guitars. The guitar is actually mixed lower than the keyboards mostly.
  • Mangini plays the old songs competently and faithfully. I've noticed he doesn't push the tempo as much as Portnoy did.
  • JLB already sounds lightyears better than CiM or anything I've heard from 2009 and 2010. He really sounds reenergized and as if he has something to prove.
  • JP really improvises a lot of the solo on Endless Sacrifice. That's actually rare for him, but I wish he'd do it more. I'd rather hear him play something different than flub an old solo.
  • JLB messed up the words to Endless Sacrifice. Specifically the line "endless sacrifice". How do you mess that up? :p
  • I hate drum solos, but MM showcases some cool grooves. Why aren't those groves in the new DT songs?
  • The Great Debate makes its second appearance on a DT live release: yet another bootleg. To this day, the only real high quality recording of a song from disc one of SDOIT is Disappear, which is also the least played song of the 5. Blind Faith on Chaos in Motion hardly counts because it's basically a bootleg quality recording. They should've kept TGD on the setlist for 2012, or at least play something besides an excerpt of the title suite.
  • John Petrucci doing live vocals on Fatal Tragedy! I wish they'd ditch the backing tracks and just have JP doing the backing vocals. His voice is fine and it sounds more organic (obviously).
  • Does anyone here actually like To Live Forever? It's not a bad song but I'll never understand why it didn't die off with the rest of the b-sides from that era. How do they always manage to dig it up every few years?
  • Maybe I'm just paying better attention here, but it feels like Mangini is taking more liberties with Learning to Live than the other songs. I really like what he's doing on this song.
  • JLB actually hits the F# here! I remember being so disappointed listening to Live Scenes for the first time and he didn't even attempt it. Obviously I understand why he didn't now, but at the time that was the moment I was looking forward to the most. I can't believe he was able to hit it here 12 years later.
  • I love the ambient section of TCOT but I think it kills the live momentum of the song a bit.
  • As I Am should not be anywhere in the setlist besides the opening song. Portnoy's backing vocals are greatly missed on this. JLB is clearly trying to fill the void during the pre chorus. One of the best Portnoy vocals btw.
I'm glad they made this available and it was a lot of fun listening to it. The MVP of this is clearly JLB. If anyone benefitted from Portnoy's departure, it's him. Granted he is the one who put this together and chose all of the recordings, so you could say he was careful to choose only those that flattered his voice, but it still shows a higher level of consistency than Chaos In Motion did, which also compiled different shows. JLB has also continued to give great live performances since, so something definitely changed.

Just rewatched the drummer auditions before moving on to ADTOE. Mangini was clearly the only real fit for the band. That isn't a hindsight statement either, I remember thinking the same thing watching the documentary the first time when we didn't know who they ended up going with. I actually wonder if they chose Mangini initially and the record label persuaded them to do an audition process for a documentary to generate publicity. It definitely worked. Also his reaction to getting the job was priceless. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Anyway, moving on to ADTOE:

First of all, I genuinely think they intentionally copied the structures of songs from I&W and wish they would admit that. There's really no shame in it and it's a very Dream Theater thing to do, which is why I'm convinced that's what happened. It's actually a really cool concept, to write new songs based off of old structures. Most bands make a living off that, but for a band with as complicated music as Dream Theater, it makes for something really interesting. I'm also going to compare each song to its counterpart because why not?

Worst thing about this album is the production. It's probably the worst mixed album since WDADU and the mastering isn't very good either. It is so muddy and sounds over compressed. Also Mangini is mixed insanely low and there's no clarity in the drums. There's just no life in any of the songs. Midway through the album as I type this and man the production is really awful. I remember it not being great but it's really a lot worse than I remembered.

As for Mangini's drumming, it's OK. The horrible mixing makes it difficult for me to zero in on the drums and really focus on that, but his performance is serviceable to the songs. It's clear that they wanted him to be understated and I get why, they didn't want people scrutinizing the drumming constantly. At the same time, I really wish this album had more power in it. Better production and more involved drumming may have helped.

On the Backs of Angels - Awesome song. I remember first hearing this and any worry I had about a Portnoy-less DT was immediately erased. It has a good balance of prog and metal, with the metal part not bordering on excessive like it was on the last two albums at times. Love the chorus. Amazing solo from Petrucci, at the level of his pre-Octavarium work. Everyone is firing on all cylinders here and it really sets the bar high for the whole album.

I honestly think this song is better than Pull Me Under. It takes the same formula and really improves it. Better chorus, better solos, more memorable melodies. Pull Me Under is a great song but it isn't as exciting as Angels.

Build Me Up, Break Me Down - Unfortunately the quality level quickly drops with this song, where they satisfy the demands of those who wanted to hear DT do Nu Metal. :huh: The riff at the beginning is OK but everything else with this song is a major miss. At this point it's starting to feel like there's a tradition of making the 2nd song on the album as generic as possible. Forsaken, AROP, and BMUBMD all sound like blatant attempts at a radio single. And I want to stress that I don't necessarily have a problem with that, it's just that each of those songs are among my 10 least favorite DT songs. So obviously this gets a vote. I will at least say this song is better than AROP and Forsaken. Especially AROP. They managed not to throw in an unnecessarily long instrumental section.

Lost Not Forgotten - The first epic of the album. Another vivid memory for me listening to this album for the first time is when the full band kicks in and being shocked at how blatantly UAGM it was. I hadn't read any reviews yet so I hadn't seen the comparisons on the internet so I was pretty surprised. Of all the I&W "ripoffs", this one is by far the most obvious. It follows the format of UAGM almost perfectly. They switch it up here and there but overall it has the same structure. Even some of the riffs and melodies sound similar.

I love the "tickle section". I know some people find it excessive but I personally think it's so cool. It's in an unusual spot, usually the crazy unisons are toward the end of the song, so I like how unexpected it is. It also just sounds different from their other unisons. Way more interesting than 90% of the instrumental stuff on the last two albums.

One of my favorite parts is before the second verse when Myung gets to jam a bit. The first time we've really heard him in 6 years. Really cool guitar and vocal melodies during that part too.

Man the Petrucci solo on this song is so good. I love how Jazz Fusion-y it is, he hasn't done anything remotely fusion since the 90s. Really soulful and melodic, but also just a great composition to the solo. It's amazing that just the same guy was doing solos like the one on AROP just a couple years earlier.

Rudess' solo is really fantastic too. Short and sweet. Believe it or not, I get a real Dave Murray vibe from it. Bet you didn't see that comparison coming!

Only thing with this song I'm not too sure about is the chorus. Overall Under a Glass Moon is a far superior song in just about every way, but this sone is a worthy companion. Was an early favorite for me and brings the album back to the quality level that Angels established.

This Is the Life - The Another Day of this album. I think this song stands a bit better as its own than the others, just because Another Day probably had the least unique structure of the I&W songs. It's just your standard fare ballad, so if none of the other songs had similarities this would've probably gone unnoticed. Another Day is without a doubt the better song.

Not a fan of this. I think DT's ballads post Octavarium have been really hit or miss. Often they just feel a bit forced, not as emotionally effective. Some soulful soloing from JP and JR though and you can hear Myung the whole time. Love his increased presence on this album. He plays some tasty lines. It's not the worst song they've done, but really bland and kind of boring at times. I also really dislike when the song gets heavy. There's really no power in it when it really should be a huge moment ala the end of Spirit Carries On. Maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the production, probably a bit of both. JLB also doesn't really sound that into it. The whole thing just kind of plods. It gets a vote.

Bridges In the Sky - Really cool cinematic intro, totally worthy of a DT epic. The riffing on this is immense. It reminds me of stuff like The Glass Prison where it's just awesome riff after awesome riff. It's heavy but not in a way that feels forced like some stuff on the last few albums. It still has that proggy vibe to balance it out. The MVP of this song is without a doubt JLB. He gives his best performance on the album here. He has a great tone throughout and gives this song a great sense of drama. One of his best performances on a DT album in a long time. Love his singing on the choruses. It really has that epic spiritual DT thing that really defined their sound early on.

Structurally it doesn't have any I&W counterparts, but it's really your standard DT song anyway. Does the whole verse -> pre chorus -> verse -> pre chorus -> chorus -> instrumental section thing that countless DT songs have. I don't mind it, but it's one of those things that once you notice it the first time it becomes hard to ignore. I think this is a great song anyway. At one time it was my favorite on the album but I think I just slightly prefer Angels. My major qualm with this song is the guitar solo. It feels like BC&SL JP creeping up again with a bland solo under a looped meh riff. The eastern flavored melody bookending it is cool at least and JR's solos are good. I'm also not big on the ending riff for this song. But everything else is at a really high level. A worthy addition to the extended DT tunes.

Outcry - For the longest time, this song just would not click with me. It just seemed so all over the place and hard to follow. But you know what? Most of I&W made me feel that way the first time. So once the song finally clicked I was happy that DT were challenging me again. Clearly the counterpart to this song is Metropolis. Personally, when the song being copied is as complex and exact as Metropolis, it's pretty easy to find the similarities. It's not as great as Metropolis, but it's a cool song. Really dramatic buildups and an awesome chorus.

This song sort of has an Alexander the Great quality though in that the real draw for me is the insane instrumental section. So I've previously criticized several DT instrumental sections for sounding forced or completely out of place, and this used to be one of those instrumental sections. It actually took me watching them play this on the DVD to appreciate it.

Listen to the way the instruments call and response. The filming on this video actually did a pretty good job showing this. It actually feels like a conflict between the instruments. The way the keyboard is interrupted by the guitar finishing the phrase. Or the way the bass cuts in seemingly at random. There's also some dissonance in some of the harmonies. At some point a triumphant melody is played and then met with more musical conflict. It's like they're depicting the conflict through their instruments, rather than writing words about it. Same vibe from Alexander the Great. Also similar to Sacrificed Sons' instrumental, but I think Outcry is much more interesting and effective. You can say that they were just being self indulgent, but I don't think it's a coincidence that this is the song they chose to have a crazy instrumental section. It was much more thought out than that.

The parts before and after are cool but not really at the same level, so it's not my top song on the album. Still good stuff though.

Also, someone mentioned DT songs over 10 min without a guitar solo. This is another one.

Far From Heaven - Probably the only song that could possibly be about Portnoy? Again, something they'll never admit but it's a possibility. This is clearly written as your average "calm before the storm" ballad before a big epic. It's inoffensive and actually really enjoyable. Just seems written for an obvious purpose without much more than that. Still more musical merit than, say, BMUBMD. Good JLB lyrics too as always.

Technically speaking I guess this is the counterpart to Wait For Sleep, but I don't really hear any similarities besides being a piano ballad. Yes it gets reprised in the next song, but that's more BAI being similar to LTL than this being similar to Wait For Sleep, if that makes sense.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with this one. I haven't listened to it in a long time and it's actually a really nice song. Maybe I'll even refrain from voting for it.

Breaking All Illusions - This was probably among the most overhyped DT songs. A 13 minute epic with John Myung writing the lyrics? Sure the lyrics don't really make much of a difference in the musical quality for most DT songs, but it still carries a level of prestige. I think this song mostly lives up to the hype. I'm still not too sure about the intro, it actually sounds like it came out of a video game. It's not bad, just jarring. Then we get the big bass riff. Clearly a LTL homage, but I actually think the song takes on a life of its own after that. Unlike Lost Not Forgotten, where it's in the shadow of UAGM the entire time. It's a really cool bass groove too and I love JLB's subtle vocals. Lots of tension.

The "emerald thoughts" bit is so cool. JLB sounds awesome and there's a real urgency to the music.

My favorite part is when the song slows down and JP delivers one of his best solos to date. I seriously can't believe how much JP improved from BC&SL to this. The difference is like night and day. He went from turning in some of the worst solos in his career to an album with some of his best. And overall only one not so good solo on the entire album.
This section feels like something that should've been on BC&SL, but much better executed. Much more fully realized. The organ playing underneath the solo also really harkens back to classic 70s prog rock.

It also transitions smoothly into the next part. Great instrumental climax before the final chorus.

The Far From Heaven reprise is cool but a little forced. I can't tell if they wrote the BAI first and shoved the part into FFH or the other way around, but either way it just doesn't work the way Wait For Sleep/LTL did. I think one of the best things about the Wait For Sleep reprise is how unexpected it was. It just comes totally out of nowhere and yet it works with the song. With this you almost expect them to do something like that since the rest of the album is so I&W inspired. Like it's an obligation rather than a cool idea they had while putting the song together. It is a good melody to end the song with at least. Has that nice "epic" DT ending.

Compared to LTL, it honestly doesn't hold a candle. It's a good song but it doesn't give me chills or excite me the way LTL always does. For me, BAI is a song with a lot of nice moments and is enjoyable to listen to throughout, but doesn't feel like an experience the way LTL does.

Beneath the Surface - I love this song. Has a nice ending credits vibe and is really unique for a DT song. It's their Journeyman, they ended the album with something completely out of left field. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is their only song with only acoustic guitars. Just a great song with good lyrics and really nice performance from JLB. One of my all time favorite DT ballads. Perfect way to end the album.

JR's solo is controversial but I honestly think it's one of his best. It's a bit jarring but I think the keyboard tone actually complements the acoustic guitars surprisingly well.

I'm also convinced that this song is about Kevin Moore.

So I actually enjoyed this album a lot more than I anticipated. It's definitely DT playing it safe overall. I think the problem with this album is they just wanted to do something that would reassure the fans that they're still capable of doing what they do without MP, and it worked brilliantly at that, but I don't need to be reassured about that anymore. It's certainly a more enjoyable album than the last two, but it also still doesn't reach the heights of their earlier work. They're all mostly good songs and I don't really have anything bad to say about a lot of them, but I don't know if any of them would crack my top 20. Basically I always enjoy listening to it, but then I never have the urge to go back to it. Very strange relationship with this album personally.

But it also gives you a glimpse of what DT would sound like if they just tried to replicate the success of I&W every time. Clearly it was better for them not to do that. Although the novelty of them copying the old structures is still really cool IMO.

Ranking
On the Backs of Angels
Bridges In the Sky
Beneath the Surface
Ouctry
Breaking All Illusions
Lost Not Forgotten
Far From Heaven
This Is the Life
Build Me Up Break Me Down

I'll be back later with my in-depth analysis, but for now I'm voting for:

Nightmare, AROP, Shattered Fortress, Best of Times, Raw Dog, This Is the Life, and Far From Heaven

I also meant to vote for Build Me Up, Break Me Down, but forgot. @Night Prowler - if you wanna reset my votes, I'll vote again but I don't think it'll matter either way.

Just rewatched the drummer auditions before moving on to ADTOE. Mangini was clearly the only real fit for the band. That isn't a hindsight statement either, I remember thinking the same thing watching the documentary the first time when we didn't know who they ended up going with. I actually wonder if they chose Mangini initially and the record label persuaded them to do an audition process for a documentary to generate publicity. It definitely worked. Also his reaction to getting the job was priceless. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Anyway, moving on to ADTOE:

I also just watched this and was shocked that I had never seen the whole thing before! It really is a very well-produced documentary. Mike Mangini clearly fit well with the guys, he played what they wanted him to play, and he jived personality-wise. Honestly though, I would have loved for them to pick Marco Minneman. He's a brilliant drummer and I think jubilant, odd personality would have really pushed DT into new directions that they will never ever go with Mangini (who I think is great, but is not going to challenge the other guys). I get that they wanted someone to basically follow along with their songwriting instead of contributing much, and Mangini is that guy. Still, it'd be real interesting to hear what kind of music they would have written with Minneman.

I also just watched this and was shocked that I had never seen the whole thing before! It really is a very well-produced documentary. Mike Mangini clearly fit well with the guys, he played what they wanted him to play, and he jived personality-wise. Honestly though, I would have loved for them to pick Marco Minneman. He's a brilliant drummer and I think jubilant, odd personality would have really pushed DT into new directions that they will never ever go with Mangini (who I think is great, but is not going to challenge the other guys). I get that they wanted someone to basically follow along with their songwriting instead of contributing much, and Mangini is that guy. Still, it'd be real interesting to hear what kind of music they would have written with Minneman.

I will return to write more about ADTOE some time later but...

1. though I agree Mike might have been the best pick in the end (and I love the guy very much), I don't see it as clearly as you do, Mosh. Some were obviously completely incompatible (Roddy, though his blastbeats were funny, Priester), but Lang, Minnemann, Donati and even Wildoer are all very technical, capable and would probably be a good fit - honestly I still have problem with that line of reasoning "he doesn't play the songs like Mike did" they used with Lang and Donati. Wildoer would be probably a bad fit in the long run, since he's still way too extreme-influenced, but Donati would push them as well as MM, even though probably in a slightly different direction. And I understand Marco would be a weird fit, since he seems quite incapable of taking anything all that seriously, unlike DT...

...which doesn't mean anything, since this brings me to...

2. I don't know whether it's true (but I have no problem believing it) that they actually chose Minnemann at first. That's why his reaction is the only one missing out of those three. However, they requested full-time attention, which would mean no side projects, to which he eventually reacted as "thanks, but no thanks". Also, he allegedly never even listened to the band all that much, coming to the audition more or less spontaneously because Jordan called him and he wasn't all that crazy about the material. Or so the rumour goes.

Also, from what I heard, Jason Rullo was one of the first blokes they contacted, but he also politely declined, preferring to stay in "his" band.

Also, from what I heard, Jason Rullo was one of the first blokes they contacted, but he also politely declined, preferring to stay in "his" band.

If that's true, Jason Rullo is an idiot. I love Symphony X more than Dream Theater, too, but that's a very poor financial decision. SX could find another drummer, I'm sure. The chance to be in the biggest prog metal band ever is simply too good to pass up.

If that's true, Jason Rullo is an idiot. I love Symphony X more than Dream Theater, too, but that's a very poor financial decision. SX could find another drummer, I'm sure. The chance to be in the biggest prog metal band ever is simply too good to pass up.

Like I said, maybe it's just rumours. I don't even remember where I read that (though I surely did)

This is hilarious in hindsight, though :D

http://www.lebmetal.com/2010/10/who-is-dream-theater-new-drummer/

Well, the constant need to fill they kinda have in common, though Brann takes it into the realm of parody :D

Hmm, so far I have found only the following on TV Tropes, which is hardly a reliable source:

Aside from the drummers who did audition (Marco Minneman, Peter Wildoer, Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Aquiles Priester, and Derek Roddy), Bobby Jarzombek and Jason Rullo were apparently also called to audition. Both declined; Roddy was apparently going to as well (as he didn't really care about joining one way or another and was more than content to stick with his snake-breeding business), but he decided to accept the invitation at his wife's insistence.

I'm surprised Rullo didn't at least go to the audition. Of the people who auditioned, I think only 3 or 4 were actually serious contenders for the part. The rest were just there for the documentary. I think it's clear that drummers like Roddy were never seriously being considered for the band and the drummers themselves also weren't intending on actually joining. Like I said, just being in the doc was good publicity. I also remember reading about other perks the drummers were offered for auditioning.

I've heard a lot of different things about what happened with Minnemann. If it's true that he was the first choice before Mangini, the documentary actually kind of supports that. They didn't show his phone call and they also never really explained how they decided to go with Mangini and not Minnemann. They also didn't show who JR's picks were, I wouldn't be surprised if he was most enthusiastic about Minnemann joining initially.

I still stand by what I said though. yea there were plenty of people who auditioned and played the songs well, but I didn't get the same personal and musical chemistry that I saw with Mangini. Mangini also comes from a similar musical and personal background as the other guys which helped. Minnemann comes really close but still not a totally perfect fit. Again, I know it's easy to say that now but I genuinely felt the same way when this first aired.

honestly I still have problem with that line of reasoning "he doesn't play the songs like Mike did" they used with Lang and Donati. Wildoer would be probably a bad fit in the long run, since he's still way too extreme-influenced, but Donati would push them as well as MM, even though probably in a slightly different direction. And I understand Marco would be a weird fit, since he seems quite incapable of taking anything all that seriously, unlike DT...
Totally agree with this. I wish they would be open to someone bringing a new dynamic to the band, but I also understand why they didn't want to do that.

Which brings me to:
new directions that they will never ever go with Mangini (who I think is great, but is not going to challenge the other guys).
As much as I've criticized Mangini's playing in the past, with The Astonishing I've started to realize that Mangini's role in the band is really more of a hired gun. Regardless of who is actually in the band, they're going to be asked to play in a certain style and not overstep their creative boundaries. It's like Megadeth and Iced Earth but without the ego. I think JP and JR have a clear vision of where they want DT to go and probably don't want to have to go through another Portnoy-like filter for their ideas, regardless of how useful that input would be.

I think Minnemann would've ended up quitting after one album.

As much as I've criticized Mangini's playing in the past, with The Astonishing I've started to realize that Mangini's role in the band is really more of a hired gun. Regardless of who is actually in the band, they're going to be asked to play in a certain style and not overstep their creative boundaries. It's like Megadeth and Iced Earth but without the ego. I think JP and JR have a clear vision of where they want DT to go and probably don't want to have to go through another Portnoy-like filter for their ideas, regardless of how useful that input would be.

I think Minnemann would've ended up quitting after one album.

I think you're probably right. Minnemann seems like a guy who wants to be creative and play a very creative role, and whoever DT hired was not going to get that outlet. I think that Mangini will gain some traction over time, but who knows if he actually cares to or has anything to say as a songwriter? He might be fine with his position. Although I'm happy that Portnoy is gone, I do wish someone else in the band would take a stronger stance on musical direction so that it doesn't continue to be the JP/JR show.

Well JP and JR need to allow that to happen. Deciding they want to write an album by themselves isn't going to invite much input from others.

Hopefully they got that out of their system with The Astonishing and will make a more collaborative album next time.

If it's OK with everyone, I'll wait for a couple more days before updating, or as long as you need to finish ADTOE analysis :D I have like half a post written and I've been reading/listening/quoting for like 3 hours and gave up for the night :p

When did you see them? I've never seen a clear answer on whether or not they used a click on the first summer 2011 tour. They definitely hadn't introduced backing tracks yet at least.

I changed my mind a bit when it comes to Train Of Thought songs; Stream Of Consciousness clicked with me and I rate it higher than This Dying Soul now. It’s clearly inspired by The Call Of Ktulu, so it’s much catchier than other DT instrumentals and that’s probably why I like it. This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father both have some tedious parts (rapping) that make my head hurt. They are OK songs, just not pleasant to listen to a lot. Endless Sacrifice and In The Name Of God are by no means perfect, but for this album they are as close as you can to "great".

Beginning of A Nightmare To Remember is quite epic. I’m not a big of the main riff that follows... it has a totally different feel compared to the beginning. It goes from good to meh to good to meh a couple of times before the part with the acoustic guitar comes in. The good parts being the ones when the theme from the beginning reappears and the double bass parts, the meh parts are for example right at the beginning ("a nightmare to remember..."). Vocal lines suit Russell Allen more than LaBrie. „Bathing in beautiful agony“ is probably the best part of the song, but sadly it's followed by the 2nd worst which is the ultra-shitty solo section. It picks back up with another cool part but then...
Portnoy commits his absolute worst sin of all time in this song. “BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, EVERYONE SURVIVED, UGGGGHHHH!” There’s no reason this should be growled, these lyrics are upbeat.
That might be one of the worst moments in their discography. The vocals, that is, the music is fine. They should've just gotten Mikael to do it if they really wanted growls. They were OK with having a guest vocalist when they got that dude to sing on... (had to check) ... Lines In The Sand. That's an awful song though. The ending is quite cool and the blastbeat part is a cool addition. Overall, this would've been a much better song with some trimming.

A Rite Of Passage is a great song. I’d put it under the same label as Forsaken, for example. Clearly intended to be a commercial song but still DT-ish enough. Unlike Nightmare it’s consistent in its style and doesn’t have anything I can nitpick :p Chorus is catchy and the main riff is quite cool. Probably the best song on the album. Other songs have some better moments, but this one’s by far most consistent.

I don’t like Wither. It’s generic and the chorus is annoying. There’s nothing memorable about the music either. Probably in their Top 10 worst songs.

The Shattered Fortress is a solid song until you realize that the best parts are callbacks from previous parts of the suite. I know that’s kind of the point of the suite, but... Also, Portnoy’s vocals are annoying as fuck.
I think they should've kept to 3 steps at a time and knocked it out in 4 songs.
Or they could've just skipped an album, then made the last song when they felt like it. Although with Portnoy leaving I guess they never would've finished it :p

The Best Of Times is a beautiful song. Chorus is a bit cringey, and the lyrics are a bit too... what’s the opposite of metaphorical? But I get the intent and it’s quite heartful. Also Petrucci’s solo is amazing. I’d say it’s the 2nd best song on the album. Maybe repeats some parts a bit too much, but at least it doesn’t have parts don’t fit.

The Count Of Tuscany is a solid song. The story is kinda silly and the music is nothing special for a 19 minute long song (more like 15 if you remove the guitar whining for 4 minutes <_<). But it’s mostly consistent and relatively catchy from beginning to end.

Raw Dog is probably just a throwaway jam they submitted for that game because they had to submit something and couldn’t be bothered to write something better.

On The Backs Of Angels is DT’s best opener IMO. Right from the beginning it’s noticeable that this’ll be their most melodic / least tuff-guyz-metal album since Octavarium, if not Six Degrees. Petrucci kills it on this song. One of his best solos ever.
I honestly think this song is better than Pull Me Under. It takes the same formula and really improves it.
I'll admit that the structure is similar, but the similarity ends there IMO. Pull Me Under is much heavier and harder hitting; Angels is much lighter, almost ballad-ish at times. Also I feel there's more riffs in Pull Me Under and more leads/soloing in Angels. And Angels has an actual ending :p

Bring Me Up Break Me Down:
Unfortunately the quality level quickly drops with this song, where they satisfy the demands of those who wanted to hear DT do Nu Metal.
I don't hear a single bit of nu metal in this song :p I hear a lot of similarities to Home during the verses though. To me, the structure of the song is basically Home without the extensive solo section and with a lighter chorus. Which of course isn't bad. Solid song. I kinda understand the hate, but I disagree with it :p
BMUBMD is a good song and I wouldn't have voted for it if it wasn't so hated. I know it's gonna be gone anyways, I'm just gonna make this easier on NP.
Please don't do this. Just vote for whatever you feel is worst/best and ignore others. For example, I really like this song and I wouldn't have voted for it even if everyone else did. Only tactical voting I support is voting for all but 3 songs from an album since 3 songs per album get promoted.

Lost Not Forgotten was my favorite around the time of the album’s release but it dropped off massively by now. It’s too similar to Under The Glass Moon... to be fair, most songs on this album copy another DT song but this one’s probably the most blatant one. However, biggest problem I have with this song are the weird rhythm changes in the chorus... just sounds so awkward and forced and doesn’t suit the vocal lines at all. It worked for UAGM because back then LaBrie had a much higher range, but now he just sounds bored.

This Is The Life has Another Day-ish parts but the production and LaBrie’s limited range makes it much lighter than that song. It doesn’t have saxophone which is a plus, and Petrucci delivers another awesome solo.

Bridges In The Sky is the best song on this album IMO. It has a pretty epic beginning with the throat singing and the choirs and one of DT’s best choruses. Solo section is probably their best wankfest ever. They are wanking with everything they have but it’s super catchy for once :p Gotta say the production is pure shit though. Imagine this album with SFAM’s production...

Outcry is IMO Beyond This Life of this album. Heavy riffs + wanking all over the place that unlike in the previous song isn’t catchy. Everything Bridges In The Sky got right, this song got wrong. I forgot the beginning of the song by the time the wanking ended...

Far From Heaven isn’t bad, but compared to other songs on this album, it’s almost an interlude.

Breaking All Illusions’ beginning is total Learning To Live worship. The rest of the song stands on its own, but honestly... it could’ve been better.

Beneath The Surface is a beautiful ballad. I actually think that the masturbating-space-monkeys section is pretty cool.

Can someone explain what you guys mean by "dynamics"? And also, I think I kinda understand what "unison" means, but can I get examples from 2-3 different songs?

Back