Bruce Dickinson

Is it sacrilege for my to say I don't own a live album other than Live After Death and I couldn't tell you the track listing for Live/Dead?

Is it sacrilege for me to say I don't own Live After Death? :ninja: I have the History DVD, though... :D

Mckindog, Judas: Yes it is. Just for not owning. I must confess that I'm not sure of the track order myself anymore, especially A Real Dead One. I could mention the songs though.

Maybe one for the controversial opinions thread, but LAD is my least favorite live album from the 80s. But it wasn't the only live album out when I became a fan, so it didn't impact me the way it probably did those who were fans at the time.

A Real Live/Dead One is a pretty cool setlist and I dig the more raw recordings. The tempos are insane though.

No. Maiden aren't deities, we're not bringing service to them and there is no church to impose its dogma on you.

p:ninja:

Oh, I beg to disagree.
Many of the faithful gather here to listen to the word God every day.

or at least they do when you are posting more often:ninja:

Bruce is way better on Live/Dead than on LAD (or Maiden England...) He's fucking awesome on Rock in Rio, but I prefer the sound of Live/Dead. RiR also suffers from the cut-and-pasting of the vocals where in reality Bruce let the audience sing - really a shame, and it's Steve's fault. My fave is En Vivo.

I also can't watch the video of RiR, which is just shit, sorry. Which brings me back to the feud between Steve and Bruce, because as far as I understand Steve is responsible for the editing of that video, and I think the cuts are so crazy fast in order to have an excuse for not showing Bruce. I guess Steve needed longer to come to his senses and let go of some ego crap - which you can also see in the reunion-interview Talisman posted, where he still fires against Bruce. As soon Bruce was back with Maiden, he was pretty loyal and professional and chose other targets to get the headlines (Metallica, Ozzy). Which again supports my theory that Bruce can be very "rational" in losing his temper.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there, though I still love RiR despite its obvious faults... Also, the Death on the Road video went even further as far as crazyass editing goes - that's one video capable of waking your latent epilepsy potential, really.

I never liked LAD because 1.) Bruce's vocals, 2.) it's about the 80's material (yeah, very surprising, since it's an 80's album). I realise to many people it's the greatest Maiden ever, but not to me. I enjoy Live at Donnington much more, honestly.

Last edited:
I guess Steve needed longer to come to his senses and let go of some ego crap - which you can also see in the reunion-interview Talisman posted, where he still fires against Bruce.
The country and western thing that Ling wrote about in that article was from 1998! He didn't say anything negative about Bruce after he rejoined the band:
To a certain extent, Harris shares my disbelief that the reunion has come this far.
“I didn’t think it would work either - until we met with Bruce,” he admits. “Both sides had their say in the [official] Run To The Hills book, but there didn’t seem to be any harm in going to a meeting with him. And it went very well. His attitude was exactly where I wanted it to be. My only worry was that he was acting like that because he knew that’s what we wanted to hear. But so far that’s not proven to be the case. With all this stuff he’s been saying onstage, he’d look pretty silly if he just bailed out at the end of all this.
“That said, I think Bruce is a changed man,” he continues. “A lot of that’s to do with him sorting out his personal life. He’s as happy as a pig in shit with his new aeroplane and being back in the band. We’ve been pretty much on the same wavelength from the start.

Didn't Nicko imply that in an interview he did fairly recently? He was quite frank about the personalities in the band and the future. He likened Steve and Bruce to a kind of bickering couple, I seem to remember. :D

Just a little question to you guys..

How and when did you discover Bruce solo albums?
I got into Maiden big time late 2002-early 2003 thanks to one guy in my class at school, and I had all their studio albums by summer 2003 I think. During one of the first day at school that year, he brought Scream for me Brazil at school and asked me if I've heard Bruce solo albums, and I had no idea he even had any solo career! I listened to that album and really loved it, even Adrian was playing on it, so after school that thay I bought the two disc version of the Best of Bruce Dickinson album, and the first song Broken became a favorite track immideantly :)

Guess I bought his other albums during the next year. I'm eternally grateful for that guy in my class who introduced me to both Maiden and Bruce Dickinson

I was actually being stupid enough as to avoid Bruce's solo career - I have heard stories about it being "simpler" hard-rock etc. and heard Tattooed Millionaire on the radio (which was good, but nothing I would actively pursuit).

I never felt the need to actually try it out until 2014/15 or so, when - after I've been already visiting this forum for some time - I couldn't help but notice Flash's avatar and decided to finally give The Chemical Wedding a try. And I was blown away. I listened to that album a lot, in fact TCW, AOB and later even TOS were much more often on my playlist than any given Maiden material at the time. I still have trouble appreciating Skunkworks and Balls, though. I know people here love it, but next to those two-and-a-half masterpieces, I cannot enjoy those that much. But maybe it'll change. I certainly hope so. :)

I heard AoB and TCW just before Bruce/H were back to Maiden.
Because of that, I wasn't impressed with Brave New World.

Same as Judas, in the sense that I had kind of ignored them (bought & heard Balls when it came out though), and was then blown away when I finally heard AOB then CW then TOS (think I first heard them in 2013). Three stunning albums with tons of quality. It's made me respect Bruce far more as a musician, vocalist, lyricist, etc.

I actually found out about it back in Napster days, when people would share mislabeled tracks. I downloaded the Bruce b-side "Return of the King" accidentally when looking for Maiden stuff. A quick check online let me find out more, and then I downloaded his entire discography, which I listened to in order.

Pretty good stuff. It took Skunkworks a long time to grow on me, though. My favoured Bruce album is AoB, top songs are Book of Thel and Silver Wings.

You filthy pirate.

I (we) used Napster mostly for stuff that couldn't be found in the shops. Because what you had in the shop, you could sample by asking a guy to copy few songs from CD to your tape, and you would come back in few days. CD shops used to have listening consoles so people could sample, and this was the way to lower down the queue and number of people in the shop. There were also full-pirate shops with catalogues and everything. However, their source wasn't CD. Some Maiden tapes I got that way were really crappy. But you could also compile yourself.

In any case, P2P back in the day was about finding rare stuff. I found so much 'rare' Maiden (bootlegs and b-sides) on Napster. But as you say, mislabeled, at least, sometimes it was entirely different performer, like 'Iron Maiden - The Ripper (Judas Priest cover).mp3'. Sometimes it would get disappointing because it took a while to download...and dial-up wasn't cheap.

Ah, the good'ol days.

Ah yeah, anybody else had "Iron Maiden featuring Ozzy Osbourne - Paranoid (live).mp3"?

It was from the '97 Black Sabbath live album.

Ive had a strange relationship with Bruces solo stuff. I got Balls when it came out and despite liking it alot i never heard anything else til I got the Best Of in 2001. I was blown away by stuff like AoB, Silver Wings, Book of Thel. Still, never delved any further until about 6mths ago when I got AoB and streamed TCW and TOS. And only listened to Millionaire for the first time last week! I got the anthology dvd 3yrs ago. Still aint watched it. :blink:

Love his shit, bring on another and a tour to boot.

I came here and everyone was very high on TCW and AoB so I gave them a listen on youtube and loved them. I immediately downloaded them from a Russian website and later purchased them. TCW is my third favorite album of all time!

Back