GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I'm on board anything Neal Morse. I know all the spocks albums, some of each side project. Lots of stuff I haven't heard.

Marillon I'm familiar with the Fish era but apparently the stuff they've done since is just as good if not better. so I'd be up for a noobvivor for them.

Do you mean all of that? I think that is way too much for a casual noobvivor :D
I would just do it as long as people are interested. Start with Spocks, if people want more add Transatlantic, and so on and so forth.

That might be the way to do it and then be prepared to see people come and go....

Just the solo artist Neal Morse seems to have 20+ albums so I thought adding everything together might be a bit overkill on this forum.

Personally I'd pick a broader more well known artist for a "noobvivor"...who has more deep cuts in the catalog that people might not be aware of....An artist whose known for a couple of albums but has 10 other just as good ones people never heard of. Could be a band as well...

I would only include his prog albums, which narrows it down to 6 or 7.

Also we're long overdue for a Savatage survivor! Now there's a band with great albums but only a few really known hits :D + they are criminally underrated and a lot of the prog metal people around here would probably like em!

Last edited:
I had this idea to do this because I suspect there might be enough people here who'll like it. His/their brand of "Genesis-like retro-prog" is actually pretty likable and I really hope this n00bvivor might mean an additional fan or two :)

However, you guys might be right about the "overkill" part, at least until we see how it'll go. As the great SMX put it...

I think SB would not make a very good survivor beyond the first few albums. Snow is a strange album, and I can't choose which of the seventeen parts of "A Guy Named Sid" is my favorite. (Probably the one where they sing "this is the story of a guy named Sid" for the 103rd time.)

Seriously, though: the songs are often very long, and I think few people who don't already know prog would have the patience for it. Adding TA only magnifies the problem... how many on this forum have the patience for "All of the Above"? I barely do myself sometimes.

The music is great, though. I've only heard 3 of those solo Morse albums and they were all amazing.

One last edit, since I finally read everything Mosh wrote... SB thru Snow + TA is a workable idea, but adding the solo Morse is overkill.

So if I did, I'd do it in a following "episodes":

1.) Neal-era Spock's Beard (up until Snow, which is great, BTW :p)
2.) Neal solo - since this is why I actually wanted to do this survivor the most - apart from the Worship albums and the cover albums (I would probably only mention/discuss/present those, since apart from me no-one is gonna be really interested in them, I guess).

If the people would still be interested (which I believe they might at the time, but who knows)

3.) Transatlantic (of course studio only)
4.) Flying Colors (two albums, so...)

and for the brave/completists/if someone wanted to continue further, I guess we could do the rest of SB discography after Neal, since allegedly there are some real gems there, too. That would however mean kind of n00bvivor even for me, so we'll see about that. :D If we even got this far. :innocent:

Last edited:
Well I just read the post I wrote that smx is replying to there and I stand by the list of albums I came up with. Maybe even minus Snow. It sounds like you're mostly interested in discussing the albums, maybe a discography discussion/primer would also work. I'd be interested in your take on the solo albums as none of them have stuck with me and it might help having the perspective of someone who really likes them.

The problem with post Neal Spocks is they took a really long time to figure out what kind of band they wanted to be. It's clear that Neal was steering the ship in virtually every way. This becomes a problem in a Noobvivor because there is a ton of stuff that's mediocre at best and there are very few gems. The only album that comes close to touching just the lesser Neal-era albums is Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep. X is also pretty good. Everything else is forgettable.

Ah, you're probably right. Okay, I'll do it as a discography discussion, once I'm finished with the Rush one (which I believe is going to gain momentum soon :D)

Nah, not really. I love Accident and Wedding (and parts of Tyranny as well), but I don't feel that's nearly enough.

I would be actually willing to do the Marillion noob, if anyone was interested, since I know about three albums at most and 1.) I'm very curious whether a Fish-era or h-era song would win (there seems to be nearly equal camps of fanatical devouts to each of the singer, with very little to no overlap), 2.) it would force me to listen to the rest of their discography. But that's probably not such a bright idea, too, so I'll try to come up with something else. :D

(Mostly because the Porcupine Tree/SW n00b should start soon as well and I must take into consideration some people like myself might want to participate in both, and I'm afraid of sudden outbreak of collective narcolepsy :D )

Last edited:
If you want to do a noobvivor, I would suggest doing a non-prog band, or at least something more on the metal side, so we don't have 3 prog survivors going at once.

It's funny, but it seems as if every interesting band I would be willing to check out via noobvivor (Marillion, Nevermore, Vanden Plas, Mars Volta, Pain of Salvation, VDGG/Hammill [seriously this time], Queensryche [still haven't heard most of the stuff], Therion or Týr) is either prog or at least very prog-inclined. Oh, well... :bigsmile:

We have done QR a few times, you are welcome to host another (unless someone claimed them already). They would be good. Last time I only included the first 5 or 6 albums.

QR Survivor would be boring IMO :p We all know the best songs/albums, half of their discography is usually skipped, new album's songs might survive for a bit but won't make Top 10 etc. Do something new!! :p I'd vote in Nevermore, Therion and Týr. I'd like to do Paradise Lost, doubt I'll have the time until 2017 though.

Haven't liked any Paradise Lost I've heard. Would be willing to try the others, vaguely familiar with Tyr and Therion.

Agree that QR would be boring - it's no fun to keep taking up the same bands again and again. More people need to listen to Nevermore so I would support a survivor on them. They don't really have a bad album in their entire discography and they actually play progressive metal! Savatage, like I've suggested before would be awesome and instead of Neal Morse, Steve Vai could also be an idea.

Last edited:
Back