Dream Theater

By very different he probably means similar to the title album.

I've lost my enthusiasm for new DT. Don't have any expectations anymore.

DT has always been good about doing something different every time, not sure why you would expect them to go back to DT12.

We want Train of Though part two with a shit ton of long songs.

and Portnoy to come back!! :p

I really don't understand why people think bringing MP back is going to change anything. He never wrote the music.

That's all on @Collin though..:D I certainly don't want him back. He was mentioned and he was amazing back in the day. To me though, DT started to go wrong already when he was in the band, so bringing him back wouldn't make much of a difference. Octavarium for me, was the album that changed DT. For some people they changed for the better, to others for the worse...

It's a common sentiment though. I would love to see DT with a different drummer, but not Portnoy again.

That said, I'm sure a reunion will happen eventually.

I'm not denying anything about Portnoy - he was an absolute beast behind the kit and helped create this amazing band. But, the later albums became dominated by his tuff-guy songwriting, domineering attitude, and annoying personality.

I'd take 1,000 Astonishings over even another 1 BCASL.

Portnoy was a better drummer but his presence has nothing to do with what happened to DT. 3 out of my 5 least favorite albums were done in his era.

Prior to him leaving, DT were already on a rough patch with Octavarium, Systematic Wankery and Black Clouds.

I'm not denying anything about Portnoy - he was an absolute beast behind the kit and helped create this amazing band. But, the later albums became dominated by his tuff-guy songwriting, domineering attitude, and annoying personality.

I'd take 1,000 Astonishings over even another 1 BCASL.

Well I don't like those albums either, like I said. Octavarium was the straw for me really. They changed too much after that. But blaming the later albums on his personality alone? Hm , I don't buy it. They all had a part in those albums. I'd like to see the interview that says that Portnoy forced them to make tuff-guy music. ..And that they were too afraid of him to say no.

I really don't understand why people think bringing MP back is going to change anything. He never wrote the music.

He did not, but between him and Petrucci it was already two metalheads in the band - probably having more leverage regarding the musical direction. I love Mike (M) and I don't want to see him go, but after the (for me) pretty much immaculate string SDOIT -> BCASL, where every album was great, IMHO, the "direction" with Mangini leaves something to be desired, even if I really loved and still love ADTOE.

The Astonishing was a misstep, a rather enjoyable, occasionaly great one, but a misstep nonetheless. I'm looking forward to the next album, however it might sound.

It might be a coincidence, but there's also that "special" feeling the band had with P, with the bootlegs and demos and stories, rotating setlists etc. That's pretty much gone.

On the other hand, when I see all those "BRNG PROTNOY BAK M&$#$@+#", I get rather angry.

Portnoy was a better drummer but his presence has nothing to do with what happened to DT. 3 out of my 5 least favorite albums were done in his era.

Prior to him leaving, DT were already on a rough patch with Octavarium, Systematic Wankery and Black Clouds.

Completely subjective, I wouldn't call that a rough patch at all. I know most people see the 90s as DT's "golden era" but stylistically, I prefer them from the 00s.

Back