Blaze Bayley

Well you have to understand Arry also, they would have to play old songs tuned down, and new songs in standard tuning, and Arry always has to play the same bass on all concerts and all albums

Interesting interview from 15 december 2000, Silicon Messiah-era. Includes audio of "Ghost in the Machine", "Silicon Messiah", "The Hunger" and "Born as a Stranger" performed live by the band.

45:15 Iron Maiden dismissal.

To me Bayley seemed very optimistic at the time, happy to have proved something with the new album and to have played at Wacken, and excited for the upcoming tour.

Last edited:
Had a look at the old planetblaze.com website with the internet wayback machine recently and I found some great stuff. :)
6.jpg

Wacken, august 2000.
7.jpg

Silicon Messiah tour 2000-2001.
9.jpg

Rehearsal 2000.
10.jpg

The Man Who Would Not Die promo 2008.

Last edited:
It's probably impossible, but it would be great if Blaze opened for Maiden on tour.

There are people who say Maiden don't owe Blaze anything, but with the short end of the stick he got with all the circumstances listed above as far as his time in Maiden went, I always thought this was the least they could do, particularly on the Brave New World Tour to really give Silicon Messiah and his new solo career the push it deserved. But considering that it was Sanctuary management that bungled the release of Silicon Messiah by putting it against BNW, an opening slot certainly wasn't going to happen if the conspiracy theories turned out to have some truth to them.

I'd still love to see him open for them one day, but considering where he is and where they are now--nope, never happen unfortunately.

Well if Dirty Deeds (Tony Newton's band, 1998 and 2000-2001) or Psycho Motel (Adrian Smith, 1996) supported Maiden I think BLAZE could have done it too, at least on some dates. I believe that bigger bands who support them buy onto the tour (like Halford or Avenged Sevenfold).

It's not only Bayley himself that was of the opinion that being on Sanctuary was not that good for the band...
BlazeFans.com: How would you describe the support SPV have given the band over the years?

Neil Marklew: Difficult one this. In the beginning they were very supportive but since the release of 'Tenth Dimension' the support level has diminished especially in terms of album promotion and tour support. Unfortunately, most record companies even the smaller ones like SPV are now almost totally controlled by the accountants. They look for an immediate return on any investment made when advertising new album releases and giving tour support. There is no longer room for the build-up of a band name as you perhaps had 10-15 years ago. I really feel that SPV were misled in the beginning by Sanctuary Management in certain areas (which I do not want to bore you with today). In essence, this left us playing catch-up after the release of 'Silicon Messiah', financially with SPV. As a result there has been no room for speculative tours and promotional activity as we have had to work within a very tight budget. So, in my head I know that they have given us as much support as the accountants would allow, but in my heart I know that if they had taken that leap of faith then you probably would not be asking this question.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blaze-manager-speaks-out/

Last edited:
I really think it comes down to there not being much of a market for Blaze. His time in Maiden was generally panned (rightly or wrongly), Wolfsbane was never a big act, just not that many people care ... he is in the same boat as a lot of bands. It's not like Bruce was selling out arenas when he went solo (though he obviously did better than Blaze has).

None of this is a slam on Blaze, I am not really a big fan of his, but at this day in age, he will come out records that will sell in the low thousands (at best) and tour clubs and bars .. that is just where he is and I doubt any management would change that.

Blaze Bayley European tour dates. Also in Leiden(!)
That sounds interesting to be honest. Might go:

February
26th : UK : Stamford, Voodoo Lounge
27th : UK : Wolverhampton, Vinyl & Vintage (meet & greet)
27th : UK : Bewdley, Cock & Magpie (acoustic)
March
1st : UK : Newcastle, Trillians
2nd : UK : Glasgow, Ivory Blacks
3rd : UK : Kendal, Bootleggers
4th : UK : Grimsby, Yardbirds
5th : UK : Manchester, Sound Control
6th : UK : Wakefield, Snooty Fox
15th : UK : Birmingham, The Roadhouse
16th : UK : Cardiff, Fuel
17th : UK : Hastings, The Carlisle
18th : Belgium : Verviers, Spirit of 66
19th : Belgium : Lotenhulle, Wizzfest
20th : Belgium : Deinze, Cafe Elpee (acoustic)
24th : Netherlands : Erica, The Spot
25th : Netherlands : Leiden, Gebr De Nobel
26th : Germany : Grossefehn, Schlappohr Rockkneipe
27th : Netherlands : Geleen, De Meister
31st : France : Arras, Blue Devils Bar
April
1st : France : Fismes, La Spirale
2nd : France : Notre Dame De Gravenchon, L'Arcade
3rd : Belgium : Roeselare, De Verlichte Geest
5th : Austria : Velden, Bluesiana
6th : Italy : Gradisca D'Isonzo, La Baracheta
7th : Italy : Vercelli, Officine Sonore
8th : France : Grenoble, L'Amperage
9th : France : Luynes, Le Korigan
10th : Spain : Barcelona, Monasterio
11th : Spain : Madrid, Chango
12th : Spain : Zaragoza, Sala Lopez
14th : Switzerland : Versoix, Le Caves De Bon-Sejour
15th : Switzerland : St-Maurice, Manoir Pub
16th : France : Pagney-Derriere-Barine, Chez Paulette
17th : Germany : Renchen, Come Inn
20th : Germany : Krefeld, Kulturrampe
21st : Germany : Hamburg, Bambi Galore
22nd : Germany : Herdorf, Rattenloch
23rd : Germany : Balingen, Sonnenkeller
24th : Germany : Konstanz, Rockbar
26th : Austria : Vienna, Viper Rooms
27th : Slovakia : Banska Bystrica, Tartarus
28th : Poland : Tychy, Underground
29th : Poland : Stalowa Wola, Labirynt Club
30th : Poland : Olsztyn, Andergrant
May
1st : Lithuania : Kaunas, Rock Pub (acoustic)
2nd : Latvia : Riga, Nabaklab
3rd : Estonia : Tallinn, Rockstars (meet & greet)
4th : Finland : Helsinki, PRKL Club
5th : Finland : Kuopio, Henry's Pub
6th : Finland : Lappeenranta, Totem
7th : Finland : Mantyharju, Bar Krouvi (full metal)
8th : Finland : Mantyharju, Bar Krouvi (acoustic)
11th : Sweden : Sandviken, Folkets Hus
12th : Sweden : Stockholm, Harry B James
13th : Norway : Fosser, Oak Metal Club
14th : Sweden : Falkenberg, Downtown Rockbar
15th : Germany : Flensburg, Roxy Concerts
17th : Poland : Wroclaw, Liverpool Klub
18th : Czech Republic : Prague, Nova Chmelnice
19th : Czech Republic : Brno, Melodka
20th : Czech Republic : Dolni Cermna, Under Dark Moon Festival
21st : Czech Republic : Klatovy, Music Club U Kosile
22nd : Czech Republic : Litvinov, Attic Rock Club
26th : UK : Merthyr Tydfil, New Crown Inn
27th : UK : Winchester, The Railway
28th : UK : London, Underworld
29th : UK : Bromsgrove, Breaking Bands Festival
July
1st/2nd : Estonia : Hard Rock Laager Festival
August
6th : Spain : Jaen, Barcia Metal Festival
7th : Italy : Padova : Padova Metal Festival
October
1st : Sweden : Huskvarna : Huskvarna Rock & Art Weekend

Blaze Bayley European tour dates. Also in Leiden(!)
That sounds interesting to be honest. Might go:

February
26th : UK : Stamford, Voodoo Lounge
27th : UK : Wolverhampton, Vinyl & Vintage (meet & greet)
27th : UK : Bewdley, Cock & Magpie (acoustic)
March
1st : UK : Newcastle, Trillians
2nd : UK : Glasgow, Ivory Blacks
3rd : UK : Kendal, Bootleggers
4th : UK : Grimsby, Yardbirds
5th : UK : Manchester, Sound Control
6th : UK : Wakefield, Snooty Fox
15th : UK : Birmingham, The Roadhouse
16th : UK : Cardiff, Fuel
17th : UK : Hastings, The Carlisle
18th : Belgium : Verviers, Spirit of 66
19th : Belgium : Lotenhulle, Wizzfest
20th : Belgium : Deinze, Cafe Elpee (acoustic)
24th : Netherlands : Erica, The Spot
25th : Netherlands : Leiden, Gebr De Nobel
26th : Germany : Grossefehn, Schlappohr Rockkneipe
27th : Netherlands : Geleen, De Meister
31st : France : Arras, Blue Devils Bar
April
1st : France : Fismes, La Spirale
2nd : France : Notre Dame De Gravenchon, L'Arcade
3rd : Belgium : Roeselare, De Verlichte Geest
5th : Austria : Velden, Bluesiana
6th : Italy : Gradisca D'Isonzo, La Baracheta
7th : Italy : Vercelli, Officine Sonore
8th : France : Grenoble, L'Amperage
9th : France : Luynes, Le Korigan
10th : Spain : Barcelona, Monasterio
11th : Spain : Madrid, Chango
12th : Spain : Zaragoza, Sala Lopez
14th : Switzerland : Versoix, Le Caves De Bon-Sejour
15th : Switzerland : St-Maurice, Manoir Pub
16th : France : Pagney-Derriere-Barine, Chez Paulette
17th : Germany : Renchen, Come Inn
20th : Germany : Krefeld, Kulturrampe
21st : Germany : Hamburg, Bambi Galore
22nd : Germany : Herdorf, Rattenloch
23rd : Germany : Balingen, Sonnenkeller
24th : Germany : Konstanz, Rockbar
26th : Austria : Vienna, Viper Rooms
27th : Slovakia : Banska Bystrica, Tartarus
28th : Poland : Tychy, Underground
29th : Poland : Stalowa Wola, Labirynt Club
30th : Poland : Olsztyn, Andergrant
May
1st : Lithuania : Kaunas, Rock Pub (acoustic)
2nd : Latvia : Riga, Nabaklab
3rd : Estonia : Tallinn, Rockstars (meet & greet)
4th : Finland : Helsinki, PRKL Club
5th : Finland : Kuopio, Henry's Pub
6th : Finland : Lappeenranta, Totem
7th : Finland : Mantyharju, Bar Krouvi (full metal)
8th : Finland : Mantyharju, Bar Krouvi (acoustic)
11th : Sweden : Sandviken, Folkets Hus
12th : Sweden : Stockholm, Harry B James
13th : Norway : Fosser, Oak Metal Club
14th : Sweden : Falkenberg, Downtown Rockbar
15th : Germany : Flensburg, Roxy Concerts
17th : Poland : Wroclaw, Liverpool Klub
18th : Czech Republic : Prague, Nova Chmelnice
19th : Czech Republic : Brno, Melodka
20th : Czech Republic : Dolni Cermna, Under Dark Moon Festival
21st : Czech Republic : Klatovy, Music Club U Kosile
22nd : Czech Republic : Litvinov, Attic Rock Club
26th : UK : Merthyr Tydfil, New Crown Inn
27th : UK : Winchester, The Railway
28th : UK : London, Underworld
29th : UK : Bromsgrove, Breaking Bands Festival
July
1st/2nd : Estonia : Hard Rock Laager Festival
August
6th : Spain : Jaen, Barcia Metal Festival
7th : Italy : Padova : Padova Metal Festival
October
1st : Sweden : Huskvarna : Huskvarna Rock & Art Weekend

Wow! Tough schedule with often 5 or 6 gigs on the trot.
I know a couple of these venues and they are pretty small, but hats off to Blaze for a proper tour (eg. I often play the New Crown Inn myself where he plays on May 26th. It is just a music pub)

Last edited:
A few pages back I read that like 20 people turned up to some of his shows - is it often that bad in the UK for him these days?

He seems to be doing better in other places, according to a review from a local newspaper he at least played for around 100 people at one of his gigs in Sweden last year.

And check this video from Brazil in 2014:
He seems to gather a decent attendance.

Last edited:
I'd suggest poor choice of venue, poor publicity or poor timing if attendance was that small. But most metal is quite niche, yes.

Blaze will play all songs from "The X Factor" in Chile.

Translated by google:

July 16 Blaze Bayley return to Chile.

The musician will offer a special show at Club Rock & Guitarras, full playing "The X Factor" album recorded with Iron Maiden in 1995. He will also offer solo material, the latest work is "Infinite Entanglement" scheduled to be released in March.
http://rockaxis.com/rock/novedades/agendan-regreso-de-blaze-bayley-a-chile

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/infinite-entanglement/id1079952346
You can preview the album on Itunes now, 1:30 of each track.

"A Thousand Years", "Stars Are Burning", "Solar Wind", "Calling You Home" sound very good to me, so far. Imagine those tracks with Andy Sneap production and they could have been on "Tenth Dimension" actually. Quite similar themes and style to that album too.

Way better than "The King of Metal" anyway. This actually sounds okay, with the exception of the title track which seems a bit to rough for me.

Last edited:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/infinite-entanglement/id1079952346
You can preview the album on Itunes now, 1:30 of each track.

"A Thousand Years", "Stars Are Burning", "Solar Wind", "Calling You Home" sound very good to me, so far. Imagine those tracks with Andy Sneap production and they could have been on "Tenth Dimension" actually. Quite similar themes and style to that album too.

Way better than "The King of Metal" anyway. This actually sounds okay, with the exception of the title track which seems a bit to rough for me.

Glad to hear it's sounding better--just pre-ordered it this week but have been holding out on listening to any clips. And if it sounds along the lines of Tenth Dimension, I'll be quite okay with that.

As for low attendance at shows, mine was a US show, so can't speak of how it is in the UK. I'd imagine a bit stronger showing, but not hugely so. For the show I went to, the only way I heard about it was through Blaze's Facebook page, so likely advertising was more or less non-existent at the local level.

I'm hoping that Blaze does - yet again - an big tour here in Brazil playing the X-Factor. I didn't attended the gig with Di'Anno last year (or it was 2014? I don't remember) just for laziness, for sure that i'll attend this year. I kind of like Blaze's solo albums (except from Silicon Messiah, no one is WOOOOOOOOOW GREAT, but yeah, they're fine. And i also feel sorry for Blaze, so i think that i'll look to his record more gently than if it were a anonymous band), and tickets will be cheap (Blaze usually plays at a famous rock bar on Belo Horizonte's downtown. 300, 400 people at tops). Maybe i can get him to autograph the X-Factor CD, but i'm not counting on that. I'll be happy just to hear some of his good solo songs (i sort of like The Man Who Would Not Die title song, in opposition to everyone here haha) and Futureal/maybe The Aftermath

Steve Wray (guitar with BLAZE 1999-2004), Jeff Singer (drums with BLAZE 1999-2003) and Wayne Banks (played bass on Blood and Belief) did an album together with "Soldierfield" in 2014.
I have that album, as well as the EP that the band did in 2012 and I think it's quite good. I think Steve Wray would be a suitable producer and mixer for Blaze today.

Last edited:
I think Blaze is very much an acquired taste. For some they just really like the sound of his voice and aren't sure why. I've always had this feeling with the monotonous frail voice of Lou Reed, there's just something about his voice that I like despite what a lot of the haters say. And that's fine. Some times the rough flaws of a singer make them all the more authentic and honest. Whether it be the gritty, imperfect yet still technically proficient and emotionally effective voices of Janis Joplin and Maiden's very own Paul Dianno, or the arguably bad by traditional standards singing of Lemmy, Bob Dylan, Brian Johnson, Ozzy Osbourne, even Jimi Hendrix to some extent. Whatever your thoughts on these singers in the latter category are, they maintain polarising to many, and despite their flaws and limited abilities, made an impact on fans. And I suppose Blaze really falls into that category. I will say that as a studio performer, Blaze did a very good job at what was an impossible task to do, filling into the shoes of perhaps one of the top three singers in the metal genre. Add to that, his occasional falling out of key, his very strange sounding vibrato, and his all around lack of texture and passion on the Maiden records he performed on just left a lot of fans cold. I have nowhere near as much esteem for him as I do for Tim 'Ripper' Owens of Judas Priest, and Jugulator had far better material on it than both the Blaze albums Maiden did combined. Some of the songs on there are classics though and Blaze can be good on them, but when Bruce sings "The Clansman" for example, it sounds much, much better.

All in all I don't hate Blaze, and want to check out more of his work outside of Maiden but it would have been one thing if Bruce was replaced by Dianno rather than the other way around, replacing Bruce with Blaze was a whole other.

All in all I don't hate Blaze, and want to check out more of his work outside of Maiden but it would have been one thing if Bruce was replaced by Dianno rather than the other way around, replacing Bruce with Blaze was a whole other.
I think that would be a great idea even if you don't love his work with Maiden. Particularly Silicon Messiah, Tenth Dimension, As Live As it Gets and Blood and Belief are strong albums worthy of having a listen to. :)

Andy Sneap, who produced those albums, said the following about Blaze in 2011:
You once stated in an interview that you consider Blaze Bayley's first album your personal favorite. Yeah Blaze is such a lovely guy and I always got along really well with him. He really was the underdog in Maiden and really wasn't given a fair chance because Steve Harris was writing all the stuff in the same keys as if he was writing for Dickinson. With Blaze, what we did was stand back and listened to the strengths in his voice. We'd start with the choruses and work our way down rather than starting in a key he's just starting to manage to hit, and working up to a chorus that he was not going to hit. So it was common sense really to do it that way. No one was kind of giving him the time of day back then so it was nice to be involved, and be part of that. I think he was the scapegoat for Maiden as it was never going to work because whoever was going to replace Dickinson, was in for a rough ride. It was a bit of a shame really.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/int...ot_the_nightmare_people_expect_him_to_be.html

I think it says a lot considering how many albums he has produced.

Last edited:
Back