GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
I like it a lot as background music, but I have to be in the right mood.

I'd vote in Pink Floyd, though I don't like pre-The Dark Side Of The Moon albums so I'd skip them. And also that last "album" made up of leftover instrumentals, not counting that either, High Hopes was their last song as far as I'm concerned :D

Yea, the main problem with Pink Floyd survivor is that there's a lot of material pre-DSOTM that doesn't stand a chance. It's sort of the reverse problem with other bands with large discographies, where the initial rounds are really exciting and then you start getting to the lesser albums trying to eliminate every song as quickly as possible. It's a bit of a waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of those early Floyd albums, but sometimes it seems that for every Echoes there's a Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pic.

That said, there are still some redeeming factors. Piper and Saucerful are both way too psychedelic and weird for weird's sake, but you will come across a good song every now and then - I have always been enamoured by Astronomy Domine, Chapter 24, Remember a Day, Set the Controls... I think the main problem is the genre incompatibility. I mean, I don't know how much the Pink Floyd fans and the Jefferson Airplane fans overlap.

Ummagumma's shit, really. The live album has its merit, it's mostly good with a good performance of Astronomy and Eugene - a rarity that's really good enough to try out. But the studio work is just appalling. The only thing that even approaches being a song - Grantchester Meadows - is just way too long. I like some parts, there are parts of both "Sysyphus" and The Narrow Way I like, but was the album supposed to disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Atom Heart Mother is really an underrated album - I know the band themselves have said it's bad, but I really like the title track, I like Summer '68 and the whole atmosphere of the album's just pleasantly different. I think it would deserve more love. The Psychedelic Breakfast, however, spoils is. I think I wouldn't even mind it, were it not that overlong.

Meddle is very uneven - the first album in the "classic" sound of Floyd, it has a lot of good music (One of These Days, Fearless, Echoes), but also some experiments that should never leave the vaults (seriously, Seamus?)

And Obscured by Clouds is a forgotten classic. Every DSotM fan should give this one at least 3-4 listens ... it's criminally underrated.

(Yes, I have deliberately forgotten Soundtrack from the Film More - I have heard it more than once, but not more than five times and I don't remember it fondly. Will have to try it out again once more some time.)

I think the main problem is the fact that the people who'll aprreciate those early Syd experiments aren't your usual prog/art audience... and vice versa, fans of Wish You Were Here and Animals will have hard time listening to Scarecrow or Gnome.

And, of course, moving further in time, then there's the whole Waters/Gilmour can of worms. Are the albums after The Final Cut any good? Is TFC itself any good? I kind of understand both sides - I believe the Floydsters greatly benefited from the fact Waters had his vision and pushed the band in his direction - that way we got the conceptual DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall, all of which are very "Watersy" (at least from the lyrical point of view) and all of which are really hard to hate. Then, when Waters ran out of steam and started to not entertain and preach (as before), but only to preach (as on TFC), the band seemed burnt out. And Dave pushed the band into two more albums, out of which we got some really beautiful songs like Poles Apart, High Hopes or Learning to Fly. Though I admit that to swallow A New Machine (Pts. 1-2) or Keep Talking is too hard a task at times.

It took a while but finally I am starting to appreciate pre-Saucerful material. In other words, the shorter, psychedelic but also "song"-like material. I wasn't even fully aware that some of these were from non-album singles.

I haven't actually dug deeper into any of the pre-debut album material but I do know that I like the early stuff because it was more band-orientated and they weren't afraid of letting it rip on stage and space out completely. Their 70's stuff is great of course (Animals s my favorite Floyd album) but they turned into a studio band really... And it's just two very different things.

Just wondering - how would you deal with those non-album singles (Arnold Layne, See Emily Play...etc.)? Ideas:

a) not to include them
b) include that bonus disc to the 40th anniversary reedition of Piper
c) include Relics (which has Biding My Time, IIRC, I used to like that one)
d) include that rare Early Singles disc that was included I believe in the Shine On box set (and is really good - it also has the Point Me at the Sky/Careful with that Axe Eugene single)

Include it all! Just follow the discography on wiki (singles and b-sides included). As long as we can access YouTube vids, I see no reason to exclude anything.
Deep Purple had a non-album single called Black Night! Maiden's Virus is also a non-album single. I could help with the preparations and try to make a complete list.

We managed fine last time.
smug.gif

Just wondering - how would you deal with those non-album singles (Arnold Layne, See Emily Play...etc.)? Ideas:

a) not to include them
b) include that bonus disc to the 40th anniversary reedition of Piper
c) include Relics (which has Biding My Time, IIRC, I used to like that one)
d) include that rare Early Singles disc that was included I believe in the Shine On box set (and is really good - it also has the Point Me at the Sky/Careful with that Axe Eugene single)
Easy. There aren't many b-sides/singles so they'll just be included as part of the albums they'd belong to. Arnold Layne/See Emily would be with Piper, Point Me at the Sky with Saucerful, Tigers with Final Cut, etc etc. We've always done it that way anyway.

Back