Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's all interesting and a food for thought. What's weird is that currently my favourite albums solo-wise (and purely solo-wise and remember I live and breathe for many other solos on other albums) are their most obviously "studio" album (SIT) and their most obviously "live" album (TBOS). These really don't sound alike.

That's certainly not true. You cannot claim such things just by having an attitude.

Fuck attitude. It's 100% true. Do you know how many touring bands are using Kemper Profiler or Axe FX today? Or in the studio? Maiden is a relic insisting on doing things their way, because they're old grumpy men.

The Pilgrim

This outstanding solo has some "Middle East"-touch. Just listen how awesome this build-up is, there are so many notes, played with aggression and still containing interesting twists. I really like that piercing high sharp note (in this clip @ around 2.10).

The Pilgrim. It's perfect. Great energy and a perfectly adapted vibe. It's more than scales and that's what I really like.

Thin Line, Wild Wind. The Pilgrim solo has four distinct phrase groups and uses the same double-stop-followed-by-bend ending on every single one of them. Although I love the tonality and the bluster, it's simply not that interesting.

Thin Line Between Love and Hate & The Pilgrim.

Maybe not the best solo in the former song, but still a very good one. The Pilgrim is excellent - one of the best solos on that whole album. Wild Wind has to be the most uninspired solo by Smith this side of the 90's. (Dave shows were it's at in that song though - especially live version on En Vivo!)

When the Wild Pilgrim Blows. Thin Line has better solos and TMWWBK is better in the context of the song, when it's sitting there weirdly.

Back