Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

Check this out (e.g. @Saapanael and @CriedWhenBrucieLeft )
Janick also plays the solo. And if you listen well to the studio version, there is more than one thing going on. I always thought it was just Dave (with either some delay effect or simply doing two takes), but now I am beginning to believe these are two solos at the same time by Dave and Janick! I must have not paid enough attention in 1998!

You need patience to listen to this one (I haven't yet):

Understatement of the century: "It's not an overproduced album". Enjoy and dive into Virtual XI! (e.g. @Perun & @LooseCannon )

Last edited:
Check this out (e.g. @Saapanael and @CriedWhenBrucieLeft )
Janick also plays the solo. And if you listen well to the studio version, there is more than one thing going on. I always thought it was just Dave (with either some delay effect or simply doing two takes), but now I am beginning to believe these are two solos at the same time by Dave and Janick! I must have not paid enough attention in 1998!
We've discussed this already, have we not? ;)

I've seen the footage before & was aware that they both played it live. (I've certainly mentioned it on this forum before.) This doesn't mean that they both played it together on the album though. It could have been Dave & Janick on the album; it could have been Dave & Dave; and it could have been Dave & delay. Can you hear the difference? H & Janick play Evil That Men Do and The Trooper together live; I think this is just something they tried, now that they had three guitarists on stage together.

Last edited:
Don't remember this discussion, honestly (if I was part of it, sorry I have forgotten about it!).
And in the current solo game, Saap mentions one solo in his post, not indicating that he realized that Janick could also be part of it, or that he was aware of that discussion either (or else he would have indicated which solo).

It's not that clear what happens on the studio version indeed. But at least, I find it less unlikely it is Janick now that I (again) realize what Janick does live. It is a difference for me with Trooper and Evil, because that originated in a different manner (Janick did the solos when H was away and someone must have said out of the blue "why not keep it and see how they sound together", whereas Futureal is a representation of the studio version).

Last edited:
Don't remember this discussion, honestly (if I was part of it, sorry I have forgotten about it!).
And in the current solo game, Saap mentions one solo in his post, not indicating that he realized that Janick could also be part of it, or that he was aware of that discussion either (or else he would have indicated which solo).
I didn't mention it recently. And I'm suggesting it was probably Dave & Dave in the studio (not that I think it matters), not Dave & Janick. This being the case, it's only one lead (even if it's both of them, it's still one lead! :p); and it would be bizarre to refer to it as two. My guess is, this is what Saap thinks too; or he never noticed, as you say; or he just didn't mention it.
It's not that clear what happens on the studio version indeed. But at least, I find it less unlikely it is Janick now that I (again) realize what Janick does live. It is a difference for me with Trooper and Evil, because that originated in a different manner (Janick did the solos when H was away and someone must have said out of the blue "why not keep it and see how they sound together", whereas Futureal is a representation of the studio version).
Ahh, but you're not paying enough attention here Foro! ;)

Listen to the studio versions of Trooper and Evil again. They're not that different from Futureal; this is my point. Both finish with two-part guitar harmonies. (With Futureal we're talking about harmony sections of greater length, sure.) In both cases I suggest this is not a guitar "effect" (e.g. delay/chorus) --but that Adrian recorded both parts in the studio (not that it matters much if it was Dave). Live, they simply wanted to recreate that harmony finish & took the opportunity with three guitarists to do so. The exception here is The Clairvoyant, where delay is clearly used for most of it, but one part is clearly two guitar parts. Again, I suggest Dave recorded both these parts for the album. Live, they've never tried to recreate this (to my knowledge); Dave simply whacks on the delay for the whole thing.

Last edited:
http://www.podcastonesales.com/Talk-Is-Jericho?pid=535945

Chris Jericho interviewed Bruce, they're talking for roughly an hour, real interesting stuff. Not only about the album, but about songs that are tough to sing live, his health, the whole detailed story of the R101, etc. It's interrupted in a few places by promo plugs that Jericho has to do, that's a bit irritating, but it can be skipped, obviously.

Didn't know where to post this because it's an audio interview, so I posted it here.

Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson on 'The Book of Souls' + 'Empire of the Clouds'

Sorry if this has already been posted before

Apparently there were five songs fully demoed (guitar, bass and drums) for a potential future Bruce Dickinson solo release. Only If Eternity Should fail made it to the Book of Souls. Bruce sounds very enthusiastic about the Drop D tuning that was used for the song and jokes that it took Maiden only two centuries to open to that. He describes how eager (not!!!) Dave and Janick were about Drop D. Man of Sorrows was played to Bruce by Dave one night they were both drunk a couple of years ago and Bruce says he took an instant like to it. A lot of really interesting bits in a rather short interview.

Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson Opens Up on Cancer Battle

Bruce really looks and sounds great considering the grueling chemo and radiation he went through only 6 months ago. It seems that he is doing
good on his long road of recovery..

I finally realized why he sounds a bit strange - it could be his tongue is still swollen or numb a little bit, he sounds like he came from the dentist. I hope he gets back to full form. Anyway, he's a great storyteller! :)

Full Bruce Dickinson interview coming soon, says at the end of this clip, btw.

He has big holes on the places where the swellings were removed. And problems with a dry mouth. He did not talk like this when we saw him a few weeks ago.
Maybe it's the big amount of interviews he's doing. By the way, these interviews are part of a therapy, to get his strength back (I read today in an interview ;-) ).

Not sure if you guys have seen this. Footage from Maiden in Poland, 1984 (from television, not from Behind the Iron Curtain). Too bad there's a voice over. But still, rare stuff (for the diehards ;) ) I guess. More than half of the band is smoking. ;-)

Not sure if you guys have seen this. Footage from Maiden in Poland, 1984 (from television, not from Behind the Iron Curtain). Too bad there's a voice over. But still, rare stuff (for the diehards ;) ) I guess. More than half of the band is smoking. ;-)
Nice. I could translate it, but I have very little time right now...

Without watching the video, it's Adrian, Dave and Nicko.

Correct. Here, H takes a break in the same year.
iron-maiden-2-minutes-to-midnight-picture-disc-vinyl-004-800x780.jpg

I've seen him smoking on 1988 pictures. His must've dropped it on that pic because it's in front of Steve's right foot :)

Well spotted haha!

Dave has another one laying in front of him as well. They might have stood there for a while!

I've seen him smoking on 1988 pictures. His must've dropped it on that pic because it's in front of Steve's right foot :)
In the dressing room even: although that's probably earlier (Somewhere on Tour? Or even World Slavery Tour?)
ironmaiden_colour451.jpg

Here a nice version of Benjamin Breeg preceded by a short interview:
@FTB Here's H with his SG!
Man, I love Nicko's drum sound on this gig here.

Last edited:

This may sound awkward at points but that's what the narrator says. By the way it seems as if the translator was translating simultaneously. If so, respect to him, good work.

(0:58)

- Polish art agency PAGART informs: Soon in our country - A world famous band: Iron Maiden [list of dates and venues].

(1:30)

- My name is Tony, we are a catering called Eat to the Beat and we work for Iron Maiden. We work for 50 people, we make breakfasts for 30 people, lunch for 30 people and dinner for 50. We also run a buffet for 10 people. We're here so the band can be happy and we try to do our best. We keep everything under control. I think we all have good fun, it's nice to be in Poland. Thank you for filming me, but I have to get to work. Goodbye.

- Send this man to Hollywood! He'll make a career.

- That was terrible, I'll never do it again. [you can hear him saying: "It's all pain in the ass", I'm not sure what he was referring to, but the narration makes it sound as if he's referring to him being filmed]

(3:24)

- My name is Dick Bell, I'm the production manager for Iron Maiden and this is Dave Lights, who is in charge of lighting and also is the crew manager. Dave, what our day looks like?

- We usually come here at 8 a.m. and it takes us 7 hours to set up all the equipment on stage. 30 people work in our team, we have 5 trucks and a few buses, which transport all the equipment and people. This is the longest tour we've ever done with Iron Maiden, I think it's going to last for 14 months. Right?

- Yes. We travel through the whole Europe. Next we go to Italy, Spain, Portugal... Thank you, sir. [to the guy passing by in front of a camera ;)] Next is America and Canada. In January we go to South America for two concerts. Let's hope... Thank you, sir. Let's hope the tour will end in July next year.

(4:58)

- Steve Harris uses 3 guitars on stage. He has two custom made Lado guitars and a Fender Precision guitar from the mid-70s. In Lado guitar he uses special flatwound strings by Rotosound. I take care of his bass guitars. I change strings every day, because they have to be ready for the performance.

(5:24)

- That's a Lado guitar used by Adrian Smith. Actually it's his main guitar. It has a Rock Injure [?] vibrator [sic!] system. It's a nice looking guitar. Really nice. Its shape, its colour. Everything. It's so heavy metal.

- This is a quite rare Fender Stratocaster model. The hardware has been changed, it's not original. It has a new string locking system and a new vibrator [sic!] made by Allparts from Texas. Pickups have been changed too. Here are two humbuckers instead of two original ones by Stratocaster. [sic] One of them is called PAF and is placed in the neck position and the other one is Super Distortion, placed in the bridge position. They are both made by DiMarzio.

(6:35)

- I'm the tour manager. It's my duty to make sure everything goes according to plan. I take care of transportation, hotels as well as make sure all the money is transferred to the proper accounts. Everything's on my plate.

(7:02 - Rod's white suit, that Bruce was making fun of in some recent interview :D)

(7:48)

- We are firefighting officers of [name of the division, I don't know how to translate it properly right now]. We would like everything to go well. We all are music supporters. Especially heavy metal... It draws everybody. We really hope to catch a glimpse of the performance.

(8:26)

- Dicky, do you hear me? I'll be busy for 5 minutes, don't bother me. My name is John Hart, I'm responsible for band's security. My job could be very difficult. It all depends on how you approach it. If you want to work only with your muscles, it might cause problems. You can get in conflicts with organisers and make troubles. But if you are able talk your way through it, the job gets easy. I also have to make sure the crowd is safe and close to the band, so everyone could have fun. That's what this is all about. To be honest, thinking is more important than physical strength.

(10:08)

[Hard to hear. The speaker lists some players and says it's a match between the band and the journalists. Wrocław, 13th September - day after the show.]

(10:42- Rod)

- I found them, about 5 years ago. We went professional at the end of 1979 and the first album came out in 1980.

- Was it hard to find them? Had you listened to many bands before?

- No, what happened was very peculiar. I was fed up with the business. It's a terrible business [Rod said it's "two-faced"]. I had enough of it and started playing rugby. You know... A game. A friend of mine in the club introduced me to Steve Harris. He brought me his tape and said: "Wanna hear the songs?" I did, I liked it. I met the guys, I really liked their approach. That's the truth, actually.

(11:26 - Nicko)

- You know, the life on the road is great. The crowd on this show, and many previous ones, was fantastic. It's obvious you have to play good or there will be no reaction like that. And that's the good side, but when you have to be separated from your family, go away from home for a long time, that is the real handicap. There are always positives and negatives, you know what I mean? Sometimes it's very difficult. I have a wife and a little son and to be honest I don't see him much.

(12:09 - Adrian)

- Me and Bruce write together. He writes lyrics, I write music, sometimes we record it on tape. Steve usually writes alone - both lyrics and music. We just sit together, play guitars softly [sic] and try to play out a theme. Later we play it with more equipment. If it sounds good, we play it. If not, we forget it.

(12:44 - Bruce)

- We tend to write songs about the supernatural. Old stories, like the legend of Icarus. These all relate to modern life, because all men's problems have been the same since 2000 years ago. People don't get on with each other.

(13:08 - Dave)

- When I play the solo, I always want to start high. I want it to be my own. I want all the notes to build my own expression.

(13:25 - Steve)

- We started the band at the end of 1975, 1976. [sic, I think he meant end of 1975 or beginning of 1976] We were playing in pubs and small clubs in London. Then we managed to branch out to the whole England but still played clubs and pubs. We waited 4 years to get signed by EMI.

(13:48 - Bruce)

- Everybody has to blow off steam sometimes. Look at the Iron Maiden fans. Majority of them are nice people, but they go nuts at the concert. It's like a football match. Everybody goes crazy.

(16:34)

- This music is for tough people. Not everyone can [inaudible...].

- [First word inaudible] boring work, stupefying school and urban life. It's another, alternative form of life. [I think the kid meant "way" of life, not some kind of entity ;)]

- Heavy metal is a beautiful music for us.

I'm sorry for all the mistakes, but I tried to make it very quick.

Back