GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
The thing with Porcupine Tree is that they went through several fairly distinct incarnations. At first they were just a side project for Steven Wilson making a sort of progressive electronica, then they broke "big" with a more Floydian/Radiohead-ish sound, and after that went in a prog metal direction (and then Wilson started making records under his own name instead). So if you've only heard Fear of a Blank Planet you might be surprised by Up the Downstair.

(This also means that there are fewer stone cold fan favourites like "Hallowed" or "Trooper", as people are drawn to different records. When I saw them live in '09 they played just one song off the first five albums.)

Yay! I can't wait!

I also wouldn't mind getting back into hosting a few survivors. If you guys want to give me something to host that would be fine, I've got a lot of time on my hands.

Suggest a band and see if there's interest. I'm always up for playing more survivors.

It might actually be the day before the album comes out just because I work Fridays, but we will see what happens.

Ok I was thinking one of these three. Machine Head, Alice in Chains, Nirvana.

I don't know if these 3 had been done. But would anyone be interested in those?

I only really like last 4 Machine Head albums, would vote in those rounds. Have no desire to listen to the early stuff though.

I'm hosting Alice In Chains in October (along with Symphony X).

I'd play Nirvana... but don't they only have like 30 songs altogether?

Nirvana can be formatted like my Tool survivor. Throw every song in at once and chip away at it.

I could host Nirvana, NP can continue with AIC. I wasn't aware there was on e going to be played. I do somewhat agree with NP though about Machine Head. The last 4 albums would definitely be in but we could add the first album Burn My Eyes. The More Things Change, The Burning Red, and Supercharger would not be in the game, but we would add Ten Ton Hammer and Bulldozer as those are regarded as MH classics, despite being on a terrible album.

I'd play. Btw I really, really, really will start things off with the video survivor soon. I've got the busy season out of the way at work now

So things have calmed down around here finally and I'm able to update regularly again, which means I might consider doing a second survivor. Haven't thought about bands yet, anybody have any ideas?

I'd be open to doing a n00bvivor as well, since there seems to be interest in the Porcupine Tree one. I was thinking since NP is doing a prog rock band, it'd only be appropriate that I did something in the realm of extreme metal. :D

I was thinking since NP is doing a prog rock band, it'd only be appropriate that I did something in the realm of extreme metal. :D
Cool idea, but can't think of an extreme band that's popular here that can be done...

Actually! Death wasn't finished, so you could do that all over again. That's the only one I could think of at the moment.

For the n00bvivor I'd suggest Paradise Lost. I only heard a few albums (but only immersed myself in the last one), dunno the classics and they went through a number of genre changes so that'd be fun.

Katatonia and Moonspell would also be good choices IMO, dunno how familiar you are with them. As Paradise Lost they also changed genres a lot but started out extreme.

Back