Nicko McBrain

poykG11.jpg

How fitting that I became aware of this thread while listening to one of the songs containing some insane footwork by Nicko (Dream of Mirrors). :D

Edit: Not aware of the thread itself (of course I knew about it) but aware of new posts ...

Last edited:
Not really Nicko news, but he's mentioned in this article:

http://www.dispatchtimes.com/vic-firth-founder-of-drumstick-manufacturing-company-dies-at-85/21443/
Everett “Vic” Firth, the celebrated principal timpanist of the Boston Symphony Orchestra from 1956 to 2002 who also started a successful drumstick making company, died on Sunday in his Boston home at the age of 85. “And he got the idea then that maybe the performance would be enhanced if the sticks sounded the same as well as felt the same”.

The Vic Firth brand now manufacturers over 12 million sticks a year and boasts endorsees including Iron Maiden’s Nicko McBrain, The Rolling Stones” Charlie Watts, Tool’s Danny Carey, Rammstein’s Christoph Schneider, Bullet For My Valentine’s Michael “Moose’ Thomas and many others.

If you’re not a musician, there’s a good chance you don’t know who Vic Firth was.

Visitors were greeted with a photo of Firth, along with a tribute to its founder: “Vic was an inspiration to all of us”. He was a visionary, a mentor, a leader and a friend. He decided to hand-carve his own, which went on to become the first sticks manufactured by his company. His boundless passion for music and musicians drove every decision he made.

In 2002, the Globe described Vic Firth Inc.as “the leading percussion-equipment company in the world”. He will be missed beyond words. Firth grew up in Sanford, Maine, as part of a musical family.

11817127_822468041201158_3927986954297975780_n.jpg

source

Is it me or is this the sloppiest Nicko ever? Let's blame it on the kit (everything hangs very different).

Last edited:
Nicko sets his kit up in such a unique, idiosyncratic way. I definitely sympathize with him sitting down at someone else's drums. It can be very uncomfortable! We drummers have so many little adjustments and settings to make on our kits and are usually quite picky...

Back