Official Football Thread

Thanks, NP.

And it kinda gives an idea of the way these FIFA people lived. John Oliver was right.

A second round in today's voting. Blatter was just a couple of votes short of having a two third majority.
But since there are only two candidates, this 2nd round (in which a simple majority is enough) seems completely unnecessary to me. So, Blatter is president again.
*sigh*

Interesting developments. Not sure in which state these "plans" are, but Europe and North American countries, and Australia and some Asian as well, really have tremendously enough of FIFA's current state and their hypocritical leader, who just had his ticket for another four years. So much, that it's not entirely unrealistic that one or more of these things this could happen:

- a new football association
- doing a European Championship every two years of which the second will be held as an "open" championships in which e.g. Brazil, Mexico and Columbia are welcome.
- boycotting World Cup in Russia

This may sound unreal but today, all this was really uttered by the head of the Dutch Football Association. Don't undersestimate the power of European football nations. The last three world champions are European. Without these, a World Cup organized by FIFA is worth a flying f*ck. No Spain, no Germany, no France, no England, no Italy, no Portugal, no Netherlands. ;)

Last edited:
This may sound unreal but today, all this was really uttered by the head of the Dutch Football Association. Don't undersestimate the power of European football nations. The last three world champions are European. Without these, a World Cup organized by FIFA is worth a flying f*ck. No Spain, no Germany, no France, no England, no Italy, no Portugal, no Netherlands. ;)

Don't think anybody does so.

European Championships idea would be terrible (no need to mess up a UEFA competition because FIFA is corrupt as hell), but I'm all for creating a new association or boycotting the World Cup.

Interesting developments. Not sure in which state these "plans" are, but Europe and North American countries, and Australia and some Asian as well, really have tremendously enough of FIFA's current state and their hypocritical leader, who just had his ticket for another four years.

What I don't understand is: Why only now? The same criticism has existed for years now. Why wasn't there this sort of outrage when Qatar won an obviously rigged bid? Or when people in Brazil rioted? Or when it became known that the stadia in Qatar are being built with slave labour that has cost the lives of hundreds? Aren't those things what should spark the outrage? It would have been a more powerful symbol to boycott last year's World Cup instead of the one in 2018 that would have been boycotted anyway given the new Cold War. Instead, FIFA is being demonised now once people were arrested and it's safe, instead of going up front with it when FIFA still had its firm grip on things.

Tolerance and anger go in levels.

I am not sure how you guys have followed all this but open criticism from within football associations have increased strongly, recently. In 2014 Michael van Praag was the first who stood up and confronted Blatter in person in the same building (a congress or something) when he learned that Blatter would again be available for the next presidency. June 2014:
Earlier Blatter had told he wouldn't go for the next presidency. There was awareness and anger before but when people realized Blatter would not move, more and more criticism in the football world happened. People realize that under Blatter nothing will change. Especally in Western Europe and in North America and Australia, people have enough of the corruption. In other areas, especially Africa, people are happy with Blatter. For decennia Blatter has visited those countries and helped them. He "feels" Africa. People like him. He basically bought their votes. It is double sided, because they are so happy with Blatter that they don't criticize him or any doings in the association.

Today more fireworks can be expected. Today FIFA might decide that Europe will have one place less in the next World Cup. Platini (also one of the outspoken criticasters) has already threatened that this would not be tolerated. And later today the winner of the FIFA presidency election (Blatter) will hold a speech.

This is not over yet, not even today.

EDIT:
from August 2014:
MONACO, Aug 28 (Reuters) - Michel Platini, who will almost certainly be re-elected as UEFA president next year after saying he had no plans to run for the FIFA presidency, said on Thursday he wants Europe to have 15 places at the World Cup again.

Platini, 59, used his traditional early season media conference to announce he intended to urge FIFA to increase Europe's representation from 13 teams back to 15 for the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.

"We had 15 European teams in 1998 and now we have only 13 but Europe has won the last three World Cups with Germany now the champions and the Netherlands finishing third this year.

"Europe is the strongest confederation and I will urge FIFA to recognise this.

"What matters here is not me or my feelings. What matters is the future of UEFA and of football. UEFA and European football have never been as strong and powerful as they are today and I have every intention of guarding this supremacy."

Earlier this year FIFA president Sepp Blatter hinted that he would like to see less European representation at the World Cup and more teams from other confederations, and Platini responded by saying Europe would not tolerate that.

If Blatter wanted that perhaps the World Cup should be increased to 36 or 40 teams from the current 32, Platini said.

On Thursday he said he decided to challenge Blatter because he would not accept a decrease in Europe's teams at the finals.

"Without changing the number of European teams, if he wants more African or Asian teams, then the World Cup could increase - it isn't necessarily pleasant but it is a solution."

Last edited:
If we want to believe Blatter: England and the USA are angry because they missed out in organizing World Cup tournaments.

Before I go deeper into this question I'd like to make a point about it, because I am afraid this is a principle by which we (you and me) look in a different manner at problems, and that's why we often disagree in many different discussions over the past years. The principle is as follows: "Why do something now because nothing was done before?" I'd say: Even if it's late, it's never too late to change something (if only for people in the future).

About the anger:
I am indeed more angry now then when these deaths have come in the news. Let me explain:
As far as I am aware, these circumstances in Qatar still continue. I am angry about that news + angry about (other) FIFA corruption/crime + angry about Blatter staying the boss and doing nothing about it. It's the total sum that makes me more angry. As separate issues, of course these deaths are worst. But add the other two and the anger keeps growing. That's how it works with me at least.

At the moment people talk about the elections and desire for change (and I think this might bother you, because it throws a shadow over what has gone on in (e.g.) Qatar). Well, I certainly hope the Qatar issue will stay into people's scope. But meanwhile I am also interested in how FIFA is going to deal with that and -sorry- other matters. FIFA continues to work under the same leader. The longer it continues, the worse it gets. Nothing changes under Blatter. He has said before he would change things but nothing happened.

Now why not boycotting last year's tournament? Well, there are more factors at work. The sportive factor for instance. Apparently it takes a lot to boycot something. When the Olympics in Sochi were about to happen, there were calls to athletes to boycot the tournament. But it didn't happen. I guess it's a long time ago since that happened. If a few people and nations start, others might follow. To make something clear: if Brasil or Sochi was boycotted you wouldn't have heard me complaining about it. You know how I think of human rights.

If I imagine I was in the situation of someone in FIFA, I'd sure have brought up the issue, but I guess I also hoped to try and do something about it. By getting other leadership, by reorganizing FIFA, I'd hope that things would change for the better. Yesterday it all came down to not voting for Blatter.

But alas (to quote a journalist somewhere in this Press Conference live page):
As for the voting, well we knew what was coming. One by one the delegate associations were called up. From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, via Monserrat and Macau, they trooped into the voting booth, every one of them owing their five-star expense account lifestyle to Blatter’s patronage.

Last edited:
The principle is as follows: "Why do something now because nothing was done before?" I'd say: Even if it's late, it's never too late to change something (if only for people in the future).

Well, my point here is that I simply can't cheer for actions that come too late. If something changes for good now, I say fine, but it's long overdue. People already have died. They won't be brought back to life. The money in Brazil has already been wasted and the people there will pay off their debt now. They can't get out of it anymore.
It's like a kid started doing his homework only after he failed the exam. It's too late.

If something changes now, it's good for the future, I agree. But it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because this change was bought with a price that wasn't necessary. It's only football, after all.

I was fuming at the moment it became clear they awarded the games to Qatar. All the reasons it is wrong now were there back then.

1. The way they treat the workforce

2. The fact they were most likely awarded the 2022 WC through bribes
  3. The fact that the country is unsuited for outdoors sports for many months of the year
  4. The fact that Qatar is a country totally bereft of any football culture

Don't forget that it was obvious, given that they only had 2 stadiums of 10 even extant in any form, that they were going to be exploiting their captive workforce in order to get these stadiums built. I will not watch the 2022 WC. At all.

Arsenal wins the FA Cup for the second year in a row! Let's challenge for the Premier League title next year. Please.

Couldn't watch the game. First FA cup final I haven't watched since cod knows when.

On the FIFA shenanigans - I wonder how long Blatter would've lasted as chairman or CEO in a company registered on the stock exchange? With accusations of corruption on high levels in his organization, the least he could do was to try to make the impression that he cared. Instead he tries to talk it away. Get lost already, Bladder.

This is how Rangers ended their season:

_83336049_bilel.jpg

LOL

Why go through such a hassle only to quit days later though?

I nominate Steven Gerrard for FIFA president, this corruption won't fucking slip now.

There were barely 15 people present for the most important press conference in the world governing body’s recent history.

He said:

"My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody”. “This is why I will call an extraordinary meeting.”

"I will organise extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president. I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election. I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.”

“We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.”

“Fifa’s interest are dear to me. That’s why I have taken this decision. What counts most for me, is the institution of Fifa and football around the world.”

c5dad04b-8cc1-47ae-99f4-f59f793fc39e-300x180.jpeg

Actually I'll answer my own question: he didn't want Prince Ali to win, so now he's out of the picture and Blatterfans can choose their new Blatter :facepalm:

Back