• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come on guys, AC/DC has just a handful of top tracks. Let's not throw this one away versus Black Sabbath's Run to the Hills. Compared to many songs in the Sabbath catalogue, this one is overplayed and relatively dull.

I know it's your favourite Sabbath song (or close to), but really...

War Pigs > Iron Man
Fairies Wear Boots > Iron Man
Black Sabbath > Iron Man
NIB > Iron Man
Sweet Leaf > Iron Man
Children of the Grave > Iron Man
Lord of this World > Iron Man
Solitude > Iron Man
Wheels of Confusion/The Straightener" 8:02
Tomorrow's Dream > Iron Man
Supernaut > Iron Man
Snowblind > Iron Man
Cornucopia > Iron Man
Under the Sun > Iron Man

and some sixty, seventy more...

Last edited:
Well it's about comparing two tracks...Nothing more. For me Back in Black is the song I'd go to when I'm glad to be back and need a pick-me-up tune when time's been bad. So that's it for me...Love Iron Man too though. Iconic.

U2 One Love is like a sleeping pill...One Love, One Life, Too Late, Tonight (Yawwwn)....Paradise City tramples all over it by the time Axl hits the whistle.

Last edited:
Iron Man repeats a pedestrian (by Iommi's standards) riff over and over for most of the song. It really tests your patience to listen to it.
I used to like it when I was younger, now I dislike listening to it from the beginning to the end. Not that it suddenly became a bad song, but now there's a huge "been there, done that" feeling to it. It's like "Smoke On The Water," probably the most-heard example of a band's repertoire that is probably the least creative.
Sabbath has so many more songs that are better and represent what this great band is all about. I assume that on American radio, it's always Iron man or Paranoid. But two of my least favourite Sabbath songs for sure. Would be something if this would beat its opponent.

Last edited:
Iron Man repeats a pedestrian (by Iommi's standards) riff over and over for most of the song. It really tests your patience to listen to it.
I used to like it when I was younger, now I dislike listening to it from the beginning to the end. Not that it suddenly became a bad song, but now there's a huge "been there, done that" feeling to it. It's like "Smoke On The Water," probably the most-heard example of a band's repertoire that is probably the least creative.
Sabbath has so many more songs that are better and represent what this great band is all about. I assume that on American radio, it's always Iron man or Paranoid. But two of my least favourite Sabbath songs for sure. Would be something if this would beat its opponent.

Yo, I get that. But now you're forgetting to just judge the tracks 1 on 1.

I have compared, but I've also tried to tell how Iron Man can be seen as overrated and overplayed, just as Run to the Hills.

There are at least 20 Sabbath songs that I'd consider to be better than Back in Black. Iron Man is one of them.

Actually you're just talking about what Iron Man is not Foro...It's not your favorite song anymore because you grew up? it's not your favorite Sabbath song anymore because you listened to other Sabbath songs?
Just compare the songs....I agree with you, Back in Black is more enjoyable...but why, in your opinion? based on the songs?

So Foro, how do you like Iron Man?
Not much. I dislike Ozzy in particular. He did follow guitar riffs more often but on this song it's so bland. And it feels as if this song is too slow. I like slow Sabbath, I like doom metal band, but I am getting impatient.
Actually you're just talking about what Iron Man is not Foro...It's not your favorite song anymore because you grew up? it's not your favorite Sabbath song anymore because you listened to other Sabbath songs?
Did I say it was my favourite song? No way. I could stand it at first, but now I have to press myself hard to find more than 10 Sabbath songs (full songs, not interludes etc.) I like worse.
Just compare the songs....
Funny how you are trying to restrict me here. It is allowed to criticize a song in a game, isn't it? I am still comparing. But not "just".
I agree with you, Back in Black is more enjoyable...but why, in your opinion? based on the songs?
Why in your opinion? I could use some help here. :D

As crazy as it sounds, this AC/DC song is more adventurous. It's also repetitive but the progress is less tantalizing. Back in Black is simpler (and more constant) in rhythm, but there's a flow. The vocals are more creative, and countering the riffs. I like the timing. Its length is good.

I remember you tried so hard to remind everyone not to be judgmental in the instrumental game...And yet...you're doing a lot more than just comparing the songs at hand. As for myself..I already said why I voted for AC/DC :)

As crazy as it sounds, this AC/DC song is more adventurous. It's also repetitive but the progress is less tantalizing. Back in Black is simpler (and more constant) in rhythm, but there's a flow. The vocals are more creative, and countering the riffs. I like the timing. Its length is good.

There we go, good reason :)

Last edited:
I remember you tried so hard to remind everyone not to be judgmental in the instrumental game...And yet...you're doing a lot more than just comparing the songs at hand.
I used "bias", but it was founded on something that I find important, and well argued (from my perspective at least). Still, you can't say that I have not compared well with the AC/DC song. I might not have written it down at first. But in my mind I did compare. I always do.

I am the master comparer!!

edit:
As for myself..I already said why I voted for AC/DC :)
You did not compare well, yet. You said why you like Back in Black but it said nothing about its opponent. I wouldn't have started about it if you wouldn't have bugged me so much on the comparing aspect dude.

Last edited:

Since when do you bother labeling your edits? :p

Aren't they both overrated/overplayed?

Every song in this game is overplayed. It's mainstream classic rock. True, some more than others, but that's not a good standard for comparing songs here. The answer will always be "both are really, really famous".

Iron Man repeats a pedestrian (by Iommi's standards) riff over and over for most of the song.

I'm guessing you've never played it live, then? Because this isn't true at all. There are several different riffs and sections.

Edit (as long as we're labeling them now :D ): I think you've got "Iron Man" confused with "Paranoid", which is one riff for most of the song. Just to be clear, "Iron Man" is the one with the cool 16th-note bass/drum rumble at the end. I would think a drummer would know that part. :p

Back