NOW WATCHING

Anyone watching Wayward Pines? Two episodes aired so far, pretty awesome, although I'm biased because I read the books :)

So I did. It looks pretty good so far, but what struck me the most was the fact that the opening scene emulated the opening scene in Lost. So now I'm re-watching Lost's first episode. Now that's class!

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road at the weekend, what a completely nuts film. Absolutely solid action throughout, and decent plot. I was concerned that part might have been lacking. It didn't quite have the feel of the first three films, I thought, but did keep many aspects of them. There was a lot more modern Hollywood gloss about the general presentation. The first 1-2 were relatively low budget and made the most of what they had, the third was more Hollywood style, but retained some of the character of the first two films. Fury Road also lost some (but not all) of the dark humour of the first three, which to me had a more distinctly Aussie sense of humour about them.

However, they kept it quirky, freaky and gritty to the point of grimy, with a whole load of twisted imagination, especially where the vehicles and weapons were concerned. It mostly had the general look of the first three, too. I wouldn't recommend this film to absolutely everyone. You either have to really love nonstop chase scenes, or like the whole sick, choatic and insane Outback world of the Mad Max universe.

Also:
The female characters were outstanding, and stole the show. The Wives could have remained accessories, but they got tougher as the plot moved on. Meanwhile, Furiosa was more the hero than Max.

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road at the weekend, what a completely nuts film. Absolutely solid action throughout, and decent plot. I was concerned that part might have been lacking. It didn't quite have the feel of the first three films, I thought, but did keep many aspects of them. There was a lot more modern Hollywood gloss about the general presentation. The first 1-2 were relatively low budget and made the most of what they had, the third was more Hollywood style, but retained some of the character of the first two films. Fury Road also lost some (but not all) of the dark humour of the first three, which to me had a more distinctly Aussie sense of humour about them.

However, they kept it quirky, freaky and gritty to the point of grimy, with a whole load of twisted imagination, especially where the vehicles and weapons were concerned. It mostly had the general look of the first three, too. I wouldn't recommend this film to absolutely everyone. You either have to really love nonstop chase scenes, or like the whole sick, choatic and insane Outback world of the Mad Max universe.

Also:
The female characters were outstanding, and stole the show. The Wives could have remained accessories, but they got tougher as the plot moved on. Meanwhile, Furiosa was more the hero than Max.

Can't remember the last time the internet loved a movie this much.

Can't remember the last time the internet loved a movie this much.
The cynic in me doesn't find this very encouraging, as the internet tends to love a lot of crap. Still, I liked (from what I remember) the originals & people say this sticks pretty close to the feel of those. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

That's why I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I liked it, but I don't think it's anything 100% new, it's a continuation of an old franchise done in a more Hollywood-friendly way. If it's getting massive acclaim from the critics, they're over-egging it, or else they're not familiar with the Mad Max franchise. It's probably hoping to create the wow factor in people who've never seen hordes of maniacal shaven-headed post apocalypse road thugs chasing people in hybrid dune buggy/tank creations with harpoons mounted on the front. I'd bet a bottle of Trooper that Cried won't like it.

That's why I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I liked it, but I don't think it's anything 100% new, it's a continuation of an old franchise done in a more Hollywood-friendly way. If it's getting massive acclaim from the critics, they're over-egging it, or else they're not familiar with the Mad Max franchise. It's probably hoping to create the wow factor in people who've never seen hordes of maniacal shaven-headed post apocalypse road thugs chasing people in hybrid dune buggy/tank creations with harpoons mounted on the front. I'd bet a bottle of Trooper that Cried won't like it.

When I say the internet loves it, I'm more talking about the masses that the critics, although the critics love it too.
It seems to have hit this unusual bullseye of being everything an action film should be as well as being a feminist triumph.

Just got back from an early screening Jurassic World and...

HOLY SHIT IT WAS AWESOME. I absolutely loved it. If you just watched the original film and this one, you'll be happy. Pretend 2 and 3 don't even exist.

Well that's good news. I thought the raptor-whisperer in the trailer looked incredibly silly and had written off the whole film as a cheesy resurrection of 2 and 3. Glad to hear it has more to it.

Back