'women In Uniform'

A

Anonymous

There are some maiden songs that I don't often listen to, but when I come across one I haven't listened to in ages it is good. Women in Uniform for examle. such an upbeat cool song. I like the main riff. And the video is cheesy as well which is amazing.

'WOMEEEEN IN UNIFORM!!!' ::

Women in Uniform is unique among Maiden songs, as you'll all know, in two ways.
1) It's the only Maiden single to be never released on the album. Sanctuary was placed on the remastered version of Iron Maiden released in 1998.
2) It's the only Maiden single A-side to be a cover.

Now, the mix isn't what it's supposed to be, according to Steve in Run to the Hills. Apparently the guy they got to mix it made it entirely too punkish/popish for Steve's liking. Which of course pissed off our favourite bassist. Although it did turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because the search for the perfect producer continued, and he would be found of course for Killers, Martin Birch.

The intro and the video are ok. The chorus is horrible, way to pop.

I'm glad that this is the only song Maiden used for a single.

If you think the Maiden version is cheesy you obviously don't know the original [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I quite like Maiden's cover. It's very poppy but it's quite a funny song.

'women In Uniform'

Now, you can read other visitors' comments on '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=single03_women/commentary03_women〈=eng&link=singles#track1\' target=\'_blank\']Women In Uniform[/a]' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

cheesus christ! What made Maiden do that? I'd say they were having a laugh recording that if I wouldn't know better... oh well, at least it's not their own composition [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] 2,5 - and that's for the funny video mainly!

2 out of 5. It mostly loses points in my book for being a cover version. That's OK for a b-side, but this was an a-side. I find it hard to believe that Maiden couldn't find a better song to cover, if they had to cover anything. The performance is alright, but nothing exceptional.

3.5, I'm being generous. It's pretty catchy, but too pop-ish for my tastes. Still a fun song to listen to, like Gangland.

I've had the German 12" release for years and recently picked up the English release with "Invasion" as the B side. The German Release is a totally different version than the English Release. Does anybody have any information on this? What version was included on the Australian release of Killers? Have both versions been released on CD? If so, what CD releases have what version? Clear as mud? Does anybody give a crap? Any info is much appreciated because I obviously have too much time on my hands. Also, the German release is the version you hear on Maidens first music-video. Think I'm crazy? Play them both back to back. It's not just a different mix, it's a different take.

As far as differences go, here's a list of things I notice to be completely different. I will continue to refer to the two mixes or takes as "2014" and "German" for lack of better names. "2014" being the first (top) link and "German" being the second (bottom) link. Please listen with a decent pair of headphones if available.

1) When the 2014 release starts you will hear the drums and guitars are much dryer and more focused than the German release. You'll also notice the stereo spectrum is tighter in the 2014 release.

2) On the 2014 release, when the song starts listen for the guitars to kick in. In the right channel you'll hear fingers being placed on the strings a split second before the riff starts. On the German release the guitars kick in clean.

3) The guitar tones are different. I cant tell if it's due to being two completely different takes or different EQ curves.

4) Paul's vocals are completely different; two different takes. An easily heard example is during the first chorus when he sings the word "sometimes". On the 2014 release he just simply sings it. On the German release he belts it out with more balls. Listen closely, I think you will hear the difference in delivery. The lead and back vocals on the 2014 release sound more like Skyhooks version to me.

5) The backup vocals are much louder on the 2014 version.

Hard to tell if it's really a different vocal take, or if it's the mix. The top version has much more high end on the mic - listen how much more sibilance comes through on the s sounds. I think that in particular is the difference in that "sometimes", you're getting more of his breath in the mix.

I clearly hear a different vocal take. Whether or not it's a different mix using alternate vocal takes or an entirely different recording/take I can't tell. What about the other differences i listed? Did you try with headphones?
I know Tony Platt and Dennis Stratton made an alternate mix. I wonder if that's what we are hearing (or I'm hearing) on the 2014 release?

It makes me wonder what take or mix was used on the original UK pressing? Does anybody own a copy? Did they use an alternate mix when they transferred from the source tape for the 2014 release?

Listening in some quite good headphones I just think it's the mixing and EQ. but it's kinda hard to tell, the comression alters the sound a bit.

I appreciate the listen. So you do agree at very least it's and alternate mix? I still say its an alternate vocal take but I could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time. :)

Back