Official Football Thread

Didn't watch or read anything about it tbh. 1) Because internet went down; 2) Avoiding Serbian websites fearing they'll spoil Age of Ultron for me.

I know there were fights, fire and shit though, but that's to be expected :p I don't watch Serbian football anymore because it's toxic. Until the clubs are privatized I'm not interested. Too much shit going on behind the scenes to care.

This was fucking shit by Manchester United, but I still think CL isn't in real danger. Liverpool can win 15 more points (and since they are yet to play against Chelsea away, make that 13 max), United 12 and the difference is 7 points. So if United wins two more, CL is a lock, because they have way better goal difference than Liverpool. Don't really count on Spurs that much tbh.

The psychology of football is strange. A performance that was actually good (but ended in defeat mainly due to bad luck) is followed by something that was, attacking-wise, close to the worst of the season.

Catching Arsenal will be difficult now, as they will have to drop points at more places than Old Trafford. But I agree with you that Liverpool are (fortunately) far enough behind that 4th shouldn't be in real danger. But I need three points against WBA on Saturday before I will relax (unless Liverpool drop points at Hull, of course, something they are fully capable of :D)

Manchester United: West Brom and Crystal Palace games will be harder than the Arsenal one. Arsenal play open football that's easier to beat than West Brom and Palace who will most certainly park the bus. Hull game should be the easiest, since they are the weakest of the 4 teams and it's possible they'll be relegated before the United game; they will play against Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs before United.

Liverpool: It's possible that this week's Hull game can fuck them up because it's gonna be 3 games in 7 days for them, so Hull beating them at home isn't out of the question. Then QPR is very unpredictable... horrible defence but at least they have a striker that regularly scores goals :D I can't see them (or anyone really) beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, draw at best. Again, Pardiola's Crystal Palace is very good since he took over and they are kinda becoming Liverpool's bogey team. And they are closing the season against Stoke away, another very unpredictable team. I just can't see them beating all of these teams with their horrible defence and with no in-form strikers.

Manchester United: West Brom and Crystal Palace games will be harder than the Arsenal one. Arsenal play open football that's easier to beat than West Brom and Palace who will most certainly park the bus.

You might want to think twice. Arsenal have been phenomenal the past couple of months. They certainly are not easier to beat. They dominated City, eliminated United from FA Cup, annihilated Liverpool and looked even with Chelsea.

Oh, I'm not denying that, it's just that Manchester United this season plays way better against sides that don't park the bus like Arsenal, than against sides who do, like Chelsea / West Brom etc. And also... United has been very good in big games this season.

Oh, I'm not denying that, it's just that Manchester United this season plays way better against sides that don't park the bus like Arsenal, than against sides who do, like Chelsea / West Brom etc. And also... United has been very good in big games this season.

True - United's best performances after the New Year are Tottenham and City at home and Liverpool away. But Arsenal found their form at about the same time (if not a bit earlier). Still, I think the result of the game on May 17th (where I will be ringside :D) depends mostly on which team is more up for it on the day.

I might have missed something but I have trouble with understanding this constant urge for constant jokes/hate versus Gerrard or Liverpool. Like Feyenoord and Fenerbahçe, also Liverpool (hello Kuyt!) is a real volksclub (as we say in the Netherlands).

I can get the rivalry a bit better if someone is an Everton or Man U fan, and I do admit that they haven't been successful in the Premier League since 1992(!), but as a European I recognize and respect Liverpool's fantastic European record.

Without Gerrard, the English squad would have been (even) less than they are now. Zinedine Zidane said in 2009 that he considered Gerrard to be the best footballer in the world. Alright, that was then, but most famous players get worse when they are getting around 35.

Most newbies running around these days cannot and will not stand in his shadow. These kind of players are rare in England.

Last edited:
It's not just that he slipped... it's that a week before he said "We don't let this fucking slip now", and then he went and literally slipped. I mean, what are the odds of that happening?

They celebrated that win against City like they already won the title, so Gerrard went to a pub and bought everyone drinks to celebrate the title! That's never a good thing to do. Club already arranged an open bus tour for the champions! o_O

I hate Chelsea / Mourinho too, but I do respect Mourinho for never being like that, 'cause it's always a bad sign.

And yeah, it helps that I hate Liverpool too :p And not just as a Man Utd fan, that Istanbul CL final broke my heart and put me off watching football for some time :(

I might have missed something but I have trouble with understanding this constant urge for constant jokes/hate versus Gerrard or Liverpool. Like Feyenoord and Fenerbahçe, also Liverpool (hello Kuyt!) is a real volksclub (as we say in the Netherlands).

I'm not sure what you mean there.

At half time in the match between Hull City and Liverpool, things are looking promising.

For the teams around Liverpool on the table, that is.

This means 6 points in the last 4 games will secure 4th for United, but I still allow myself to hope for something better. Mansour Al-City have a tough away game on Sunday, whereas United play West Brom at Old Trafford. Good chance of overtaking the Smurfs.

Bayern vs Borussia, strangest penalty shootout ever. Lahm and Alonso BOTH slipped and missed, Götze's got saved and then Neuer (!) took the 4th one and hit the post... Dortmund through.

Bayern vs Borussia, strangest penalty shootout ever. Lahm and Alonso BOTH slipped and missed, Götze's got saved and then Neuer (!) took the 4th one and hit the post... Dortmund through.

Neuer isn't that surprising. He took the third penalty in the Champions League Final against Chelsea in 2012 and scored.

Back