Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
welcome to American radio. It's an awful place. :p

Every time I go to the Midwest and listen to the radio, I'm virtually guaranteed to hear Bob Seger or John Mellencamp within 15-20 minutes. Ugh. I view TP as several cuts above those folks.

Agree with everything Cornfed said except the part about Petty being a better songwriter than Dylan ;)
I said tune-writer, and I stand by it. :D But Dylan's lyrics are certainly better.

Looking at SMX's list -- in which Petty has more "classic" hits than AC/DC, the Eagles or Queen, is tied with U2, and has only giants like Zep, Stones, Beatles, Floyd and Van Halen ahead of him -- it really puts Tom Petty's career into nice perspective and illustrates my point that he is an underrated rock icon.

Last edited:
Every time I go to the Midwest and listen to the radio, I'm virtually guaranteed to hear Bob Seger or John Mellencamp within 15-20 minutes. Ugh.

The classic rock station in Denver plays Petty about once per hour, more than any other station I've ever heard. It's ridiculous, and gets old fast. Seger is somewhat common here, Mellencamp a bit less so.

538 did a statistical analysis - I linked to it somewhere in the results thread - which said Denver also has the highest amount of AC/DC on the radio in the US.

The classic rock station in Denver plays Petty about once per hour, more than any other station I've ever heard. It's ridiculous, and gets old fast. Seger is somewhat common here, Mellencamp a bit less so.
Assuming you're talking about 103.5, have you tried 99.5? Way better classic rock station with a bit more variety. One of the better FM rock stations around this region IMO.

103.5 is just awful though.

You appear to have a lot more choice than the UK as far as radio stations go. There are a handful of rock ones now nationally, but still very few.

A lot of big cities in the US are like this. One classic rock station, owned by a national chain like Clear Channel, doing the Petty/Zep stuff. A local independent station doing more eclectic stuff. This game uses the data from both types of stations in New York and Philly, for instance.

I'm used to horrible pop/dance stations with a bit a drum n bass or hip hop late at night. Classic FM is quite good, though.

Welcome to Sweden's classic rock radio where we play One Direction and Five Seconds To Mars...and some classic rock bands too. Here, let me name them:

Metallica
Metallica
Metallica
The Beatles

....yes, seriously.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 45 of 64

This round introduces the #20 seed and its challengers...

A20.png

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana) [20] vs. "Crossfire" (Stevie Ray Vaughan) [493]
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana) - 1991 - #6 US, #7 UK
Ranked by 9 of 13 radio stations, highest in Los Angeles: #1

"Crossfire" (Stevie Ray Vaughan) - 1989 - #1 US (Mainstream Rock chart)
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #239

"Bitter Sweet Symphony" (The Verve) [237] vs. "Reelin' In The Years" (Steely Dan) [276]
"Bitter Sweet Symphony" (The Verve) - 1997 - #2 UK, #12 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Australia: #78

"Reelin' In The Years" (Steely Dan) - 1972 - #11 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #79

"Born To Be Wild" (Steppenwolf) [109] vs. "Locomotive Breath" (Jethro Tull) [404]
"Born To Be Wild" (Steppenwolf) - 1968 - #2 US, #30 UK
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in Ontario: #31

"Locomotive Breath" (Jethro Tull) - 1971 - #62 US (1976)
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #212

"The Boys Of Summer" (Don Henley) [148] vs. "Black Hole Sun" (Soundgarden) [365]
"The Boys Of Summer" (Don Henley) - 1984 - #5 US, #12 UK
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #74

"Black Hole Sun" (Soundgarden) - 1994 - #12 UK, #24 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Australia: #17

One day left for Round 42
Also open: Round 43 , Round 44

My votes:

I love SRV, but not this song. Always thought this was weak, and if it had been "Tightrope" or "Couldn't Stand The Weather" here, SRV would get my vote. But Nirvana is better than this SRV song. Smells Like Teen Spirit

Steely Dan by a dual-guitar mile. Reelin' In The Years

Third choice is a monster. I do love Tull but the Steppenwolf is more "classic". Played both live plenty, and Steppenwolf always gets a bigger reaction. Born To Be Wild

Shut up Don. Black Hole Sun

Probably the only time I'll vote for Tull in this game.

Everyone under 35: All the stuff you read about Nirvana and this song being a cultural game-changer was 100% true. I still remember the first time I heard this song on the radio -- Live 105 in the Bay Area -- and thinking it was completely awesome and way different than the other popular music at that time. Am I now a little sick of it? Sure. But over 20 years later, I still remember where I was when I first heard it. That's sayin' something.

Verve, Tull and Soundgarden.

I despise Steely Dan. At least their music was recorded, produced and engineered very, very well.

Nirvana, Verve, Jethro Tull, Soundgarden.

Relatively easy choices this time around, though I do like "Born to Be Wild".

Back