Studio Album #16 - Rumours and Speculation (New Info 27.02.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely prefer plenty of time to get used to the songs and learn the lyrics before a show. It's also nice to live with the album then go to the show and see if the tracks they play match your favourites.

Given the amount of singing along by the crowd, and the atmosphere that produces, wouldn't most people like a couple of months with an album before a tour?

^ maybe they do that to test out set lists. Try some songs in a small country somewhere before going to the big shows. Yugoslavia seems notorious for that with the World Slavery Tour (it wasn't the first show of course), Somewhere on Tour (it was the first show) in specific where songs were played there and never again like TLOTLDR. They test the waters with new songs and then drop what they don't like or want to play at bigger venues.

Dire Straits deliberately started Brothers In Arms tour (1985) in Yugoslavia to warm themselves up. 82/83 tour they started with big venues in England and playing wasn't tight at all. There were significant amount of criticism for that performances as I've been told. Back then Yu hosted a number of sport events and relatively large / modern venues were built. It was a good chance to play some low pressure shows in real conditions.

Fantastic post @The Mid-Distance Runner
It certainly does. They have only released the albums before the start of the tour 6 times: AMOLAD, BNW, VXI, FOTD, SSOASS and Killers.
Dance of Death was also released (8 Sep 2003) before they started the Dance of Death World Tour (19 Oct 2003). Before that, there was another tour, the Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead Tour, which did not promote the album.

The Final Frontier Tour in relation to the album can also be called into question. Even if there was no real difference in names, the tour certainly had different content in two tour segments. The band had an entirely different setlist in 2011 (after album release) compared to 2010 (before album release). Alright, the band played their last three concerts in 2010 before the album was released (and I went to one of these :) ), but it's clear that the real promotion for the album happened after it came out.

So, I'll make 8 instead of the 6 you mentioned.

Fantastic post @The Mid-Distance Runner

Dance of Death was also released (8 Sep 2003) before they started the Dance of Death World Tour (19 Oct 2003). Before that, there was another tour, the Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead Tour, which did not promote the album.

The Final Frontier Tour in relation to the album can also be called into question. Even if there was no real distinguishment in names, the tour certainly had different content in two tour segments. The band had an entirely different setlist in 2011 (after album release) compared to 2010 (before album release). Alright, the band played their last three concerts in 2010 before the album was released (and I went to one of these gigs :) ), but it's clear that the real promotion for the album happened after it came out.

I'm aware of this, but would argue that GMETID was at least a partial promotion for the new album, seeing as how the band previewed a song from the new album, and therefore a large portion of Bruce's ranting for the evening was centered around "Record it if you like, we're not Metallica. But if you like the song, buy the new album when it comes out." In the same vein, releasing El Dorado for free, playing it, calling the tour "Final Frontier" and having Bruce challenge the audience to make the new album #1 in their home country certainly sounds like new album promotion to me.

The band deliberately did not promote these albums in deeds. They carefully took care of that matter in a different matter. One song is not enough to make that statement hard imo.

Last edited:
wasn't the song they premiered on the Ed Hunter tour a song that was already written for like Virtual XI and they already had it rehearsed?

wasn't the song they premiered on the Ed Hunter tour a song that was already written for like Virtual XI and they already had it rehearsed?
It was Wildest Dreams, I've never heard anything about it being written for VXI.

Dance of Death was completed very early in 2003, and scheduled for release in June. So technically, GMETID was never supposed to happen. I believe the issue with DOD was the mastering, which led to the delay in release (unfortunately, the delay didn't do much good as the mastering is still atrocious :p )

I am guessing no one in Maiden-land was thrilled Nicko made the announcement about the album being done

I'd wager Rod told him exactly what it was okay to reveal to the press. In the interview he even mentions speaking to Rod.

You know, as a bonus gift for buying the new album when it comes out, they should send out their private pilots to get everyone a curry! And I totally didn't post this in chat already like a while ago! One month or so...anyway...

You know, reading that fast made me read "pilots" as "parts" so it became wrong.

Possibly. Then again, technically Rod works for Nicko, and rock stars saying dumb stuff is why they have managers to clean up.

Off-topic, but I've long wondered about this. Are the band and everyone else who works for them, employees of Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd? With various subcontracted parties, such as Phantom Music Management? And is Steve the sole director of Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd? Etc... How does it all work?!

Given that there is now going to be quite a wait before any release and hopefully a tour, I was thinking maybe they could release a live single from the recent tours.
They could donate all profits to a cancer research charity.
This would be a win situation for everyone. It would keep the Maiden machine rolling and in the public eye. While just getting away without looking too cynical by donating 100% of the profits. The fans get what they want and the chosen charity benefits financially.

Off-topic, but I've long wondered about this. Are the band and everyone else who works for them, employees of Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd? With various subcontracted parties, such as Phantom Music Management? And is Steve the sole director of Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd? Etc... How does it all work?!

Here is what can be gathered on the subject. Steve is nowhere to be found on these documents, which is not surprising. Bloomberg too has a page on them, but not well documented.
http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/iron-maiden-holdings-limited-01565159/

Thanks mate.
All this is true...All this stuff is conjecture.

LC, I'm glad you agree Maiden is still devoted to creating great art. And yes, the second half of my post seems like speculative, hypothetical conjecture (great word by the way) but when Maiden releases the album as soon as Bruce is given the thumbs up on his health and Rod immediately announces the tour will kick off in January you can call me The Clairvoyant.

On the "tour must must commence soon after album release" v "album won't be lonely if the tour is delayed" discussion...us Australians experienced 16 tourless years between 92 and 08. It became natural to consider Maiden a band that released albums (5 during that period) but did not tour. Which was totally cool. We had the albums. So if Maiden decides not to tour for this album? Again it will be totally cool. We will have the album.

But if Maiden kicks off a world tour with Sydney as one of the first dates, like it did in 2008 and 2011, I will go absolutely berserk.

Last edited:
but when Maiden releases the album as soon as Bruce is given the thumbs up on his health and Rod immediately announces the tour will kick off in January you can call me The Clairvoyant.
They won't, though. Maiden will announce the album in May when Bruce is well, and probably not until slightly after the word gets out. But it won't be released right away. You can't just snap your fingers and have the merch flow to the stores - it's a process that takes time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back