NOW WATCHING

Got the DVD releases of The Edge of Tomorrow and Cloud Atlas in the mail today. Will probably watch one of them tonight.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow (2014).

Excellent film. The narrative was damn near perfect - the time reset-premise could easily have been a gimmicky thing, but it really isn't. It's handled so well, the pacing is flawless and the film is character driven rather than action-driven, which was a big surprise considering how it was marketed. It's easily one of the best and smartest science fiction-film of the last 10 years, but if there's one thing that I would have changed, it's the video-game aestethics. I feel it does the film a huge disfavour. I don't mind the humour, because watching our protagonist die a hundred times could be really depressing if the tone had been more serious, but the whole visual style of the film clashes with the ambitious narrative and the themes.

You see, this is a science fiction-film that does what science fiction does best. It explores the big themes, among those rebirth, sacrifice and individual choice. But that's not what the tagline says. What the marketing says, or even what the visual style of the movie says. "LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" on the cover speaks of a braindead blockbuster where Tom Cruise plays some military type and Emily Blunt plays his romantic interest. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Tom Cruise plays a public relations officer whose place is a long way from the battlefield - he's a behind-the-desk-type, that against his will is thrown into the action.

If you want to watch SF that has big-ideas, action, humour and heart - you need to check out Edge of Tomorrow now.

Watched Cloud Atlas (2012).

Best film I have ever seen. Now I'm waiting for the book to be delivered, and meanwhile I'm going to watch it again. Tomorrow.

Watched Cloud Atlas (2012).

Best film I have ever seen. Now I'm waiting for the book to be delivered, and meanwhile I'm going to watch it again. Tomorrow.

Wow! I thought it was interesting and it made me want to read the novel, but this?

I thought it was an interesting film-making achievement, but I didn't think it was all that fantastic. Good, unique, well-made, but I could live happily without remembering it existed.

I am currently watching Patton (1970).

Patton is one of the all time great movies IMO.

I started Boardwalk Empire, I'm about 3/4 of the way though season 1. What a great show so far, interesting characters, generally realistic to the period, good story line, and as an added bonus .. lots of boobs.

I started Boardwalk Empire, I'm about 3/4 of the way though season 1. What a great show so far, interesting characters, generally realistic to the period, good story line, and as an added bonus .. lots of boobs.

I've thought of picking it up again. Not sure where I stopped, maybe at season 4. It's a good show and I enjoyed it but one episode went too violent for me.

Just finished watching the 2-part premiere of The Last Man on Earth and it's brilliant. Always been a fan of Will Forte. Phil Lord and Chris Miller (directors of LEGO movie) directed the premiere but it's mostly Will Forte's show. Hopefully it lasts for a long time.

Looking forward to Last Man on Earth, but it seems it would be hard to carry a one man show for the long haul

He's not gonna be alone forever, they cast a few females already (not really a spoiler, since it's been known for months already). Now, they might be in flashbacks, so who knows.

Watching Kenny Starfighter (1997) on Youtube...

Ah, the memories. It doesn't get more cult than this. A spoof sci-fi series made on a non-existing budget that despite that is so extremely well-made and acted that it has become a phenomenon of Swedish popular culture, even spawning a high-budget feature film some 12 years after original airing. It's funny, I saw this as a child and loved it, but unlike many things that's completely changed when you get back to them, this is still brilliant.

It's funny, I saw this as a child and loved it, but unlike many things that's completely changed when you get back to them, this is still brilliant.

You know, that could well be the case, but I'm not going to risk it. ;)

Tried watching it without sound to get an idea of how a non-Swedish speaker would perceive it...

Anyway, watched World War Z (2013).

Haven't read the book, but I felt I wasted my time with this. As generic as it gets, without redeeming aspects to make it interesting. But yeah, I'm not a fan of zombies... unless they're in Shaun of the Dead.

Tried watching it without sound to get an idea of how a non-Swedish speaker would perceive it...

Haven't read the book, but I felt I wasted my time with this. As generic as it gets, without redeeming aspects to make it interesting. But yeah, I'm not a fan of zombies... unless they're in Shaun of the Dead.
The only reason I watched it was I was interested in where they filmed some of it: Glasgow. There were zombie ancedotes a plenty at the time (of filming)...

I remember enjoying the movie, but surely is very medicore at best. Brad Pitt has zero character.

The book is pretty good and differs greatly from the movie.

The book has Iron Maiden in it. But if you want the best "feeling" for the book, get the audiobook. The scene where they describe zombie-slaying to The Trooper has the music in the background. Amazing.

Back