Metallica

Lars was never a good drummer, but up until and including Black Album at least he had good ideas. After they hit super stardom, he seems to have stopped practicing or experimenting altogether. Combine that with getting older and you get Lars in 2014 who drops out on almost every song.

Most of Kirk's solos sound the same... I like a couple of them, but they still sound mostly the same. Wah-wahing all over the place all the time.

James is a great rhythm guitar player and the few solos he played are pretty cool. And of course, Rob is the most talented player in Metallica by far.

Still a DT fan, right? I'd say Rudess is still pushing himself at least.
Wasn't really thinking of the more prog bands, for the most part they tend to be exceptions, although this trend is starting to leak into the prog world too. Players like Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse have hardly pushed themselves in recent years.

But yea I'd agree on Rudess. Very innovative.

Well, I hope every musician is bettering themselves by practicing out of a love for their craft...They don't need to be innovative but at least care for your chosen instrument and what it can do...Lars Ulrich recently is just the opposite of that. I don't know this, but I doubt he ever sits down to practice something because it's challenging and FUN?

No I'm right there with you, the great thing about music is that there is always something you can learn and improve. Unfortunately that just doesn't seem to be a popular mentality in rock music. I'm thinking about the scene in the Rush documentary where they talk about Neil Peart taking lessons from Gene Krupa, and how it's so unheard of for a drummer at his age to still be learning something. That should be the norm, not an anomaly.

Last edited:
I considered going, but ticket for the Ullevi concert next year are 840 SEK + service fee, equal to around 115 USD all in all.

I should mention that seats are about 80 USD farther back, this is for front section standing down on the field, but I would still consider it quite high even for Ullevi and Metallica. They're not Iron Maiden (show haven't sold out and it has been a whole 3 days! Come on, Maiden does it in under the hour.) I paid 80 USD and ended up front row at the Maiden show at Friends Arena in Stockholm 2013, so that's why I'm a bit surprised.

80 sounds fair for front row Maiden by US standards. To be fair, Metallica puts on a great show, and if you paid 115 for good seats and they brought a great opening band with them, it could be worth it.

Metallica's discography represents moving through dimensions.
Kill 'em All - start
RTL to AJFA - height. RTL is a step up musically on KEA, the cover showing an electrified, rising logo. Like Frankenstein! MOP is raising their game further musically again, the cover showing pulling up by strings.
AJFA is too high. Proggy music, no bass. Logo inverted, pulling down.

Metallica(TBA) is a centre point where we see breadth and depth(detuned - Sad, God) introduced in the songs. On the cover the logo turns...

Load to S+M - width. The music gets fat, groovy and laid back, to the point of horizontal on S+M. Dead? The covers get progressively widescreen, the logo/band name disappearing.
Note the load cover matches the bands faces on the back. James top left, Kirk top right, Lars and Jason below.

St Anger - depth. Everything downtuned except the bass. 6ft under. No highs(solos). No logo. Dead.

Death Magnetic - time. All previous styles together, St Anger represnted by the production. Metallica's name proudly displayed. They're alive. The silver band. The moon!

Lulu - space. Lots of room from Mr Reed to thrash(?) around in.

So, in the Icke idea(see unpop Maiden ops) Metallica is the moon, creating the structure and Maiden are the Earth, creating the life(RT/blood).
I have ideas on the sun and black hole which will keep.

Gotta run, the white coats are coming.

537.gif

Last edited:
Metallica's discography represents moving through dimensions.
Kill 'em All - start
RTL to AJFA - height. RTL is a step up musically on KEA, the cover showing an electrified, rising logo. Like Frankenstein! MOP is raising their game further musically again, the cover showing pulling up by strings.
AJFA is too high. Proggy music, no bass. Logo inverted, pulling down.

Metallica(TBA) is a centre point where we see breadth and depth(detuned - Sad, God) introduced in the songs. On the cover the logo turns...

Load to S+M - width. The music gets fat, groovy and laid back, to the point of horizontal on S+M. Dead? The covers get progressively widescreen, the logo/band name disappearing.
Note the load cover matches the bands faces on the back. James top left, Kirk top right, Lars and Jason below.

St Anger - depth. Everything downtuned except the bass. 6ft under. No highs(solos). No logo. Dead.

Death Magnetic - time. All previous styles together, St Anger represnted by the production. Metallica's name proudly displayed. They're alive. The silver band. The moon!

Lulu - space. Lots of room from Mr Reed to thrash(?) around in.

So, in the Icke idea(see unpop Maiden ops) Metallica is the moon, creating the structure and Maiden are the Earth, creating the life(RT/blood).
I have ideas on the sun and black hole which will keep.

Gotta run, the white coats are coming.

"Start" is not a dimension. "Space" is three dimensions at once. Height, breadth, width and depth are all terms that only make sense in the presence of multiple dimensions. There's no "height" dimension; it's just your own label and perspective on whatever space you're observing.

Further, general relativity indicates that it's all wrapped together in 4-D spacetime, and we move through all four together. However, we can choose how much movement in each spatial direction, and that determines our movement in time. The correct formulation is thus:

On the first four albums, Metallica put most of their movement into the spatial dimensions. This can be seen from all the crazy riffs and complicated structures, requiring more movement. This resulted in less movement in the time dimension: what is an 8-minute epic for us only felt like a normal 3-minute song to Metallica because they were moving differently. Time passed faster for them.

Afterward, the spatial movement decreased. We know that this is due to entropy. Metallica was running out of potential energy, leading to the cry "gimme fuel gimme fire". As their spatial movement slowed, their time movement increased. Time now passes slower for Metallica, leading to ages between albums.

It's all there in the math.

This is kinda cool, I guess:

Whenever I see these "unique instruments playing metal" videos I hope they'll do something with the style of the song, but it's usually just the exact same arrangement played on a weird instrument. Those guys who turn everything into bluegrass/folk (Holy Diver, AC/DC) are fantastic at changing the style of the song to fit the new instrumentation. I would love to hear a roots-folk album of heavy metal classics.

Back