New posters! Who are you?

hello, Daniel from Romania currently living in the US. got on the IM bandwagon way back in 1992. can't believe how fast time is passing by. point of the post isn't to get nostalgic though, I guess... fav album must be Somewhere in Time. one of those whiny guys who believes that Janick shouldn't butcher Adrian's solos.

Hello I'm 22 The Avenue. I had always meant to get into IM and online everyone said NOTB is the best album, the classic album. I get it on itunes and it was good, but I forgot to pursue IM further from there. Then about a month ago, 22 Acacia Avenue came on my iphone while driving to work and I was taken away by the guitar solo. I've now watched several videos of live performances and also purchased the self-titled debut. I'm loving both albums.
I think it's the epic guitar solos and Bruce's bellowing voice that drag me in. Paul's vocals are rougher but I like the more punk-rock feel to the first album. It's good to see how they evolved. Bruce did such a good job on NOTB, i didn't realize the first album had a different vocalist at first.
I could go on for awhile haha.

I live in Virginia in the US and I have never seen IM live, but I went to ozzfest 2005 and left early after the other bands I came to see had played. What a mistake I made.

Awesome, welcome 22!

You've got a lot of stuff to discover (not jealous at all :innocent:)

From here IMO you should either go back a year and get Killers, the album before NOTB or move on chronologically and pick up Piece of Mind :)

I plan on getting each album chronologically. Yes, even the Di'Anno, Bayley and 1990s albums that everyone seems to dislike. :p I think it's amazing that they have spanned 40 years, released 15 albums that seem to be predominately solid, and are touring in their late 50s/early 60s.

thank you for the kind warm welcomes. haven't checked this thread since I joined. yes I'm a hockey fan, thanks for the tip...

I was saving them for the week after. Actually @22 The Avenue, check out the Flight 666 movie, it'll give you a good idea of what the guys in the band are like (and the soundtrack is half-decent too...).

I was actually wondering if there is anything unique about the live albums to really bother with. I'm never a person who buys a live album unless it seems to contain a significant amount of songs that are only found on that live album (no version contained on a studio album).
I have been watching this past week of palladia and they've shown a lot of old school metal, including iron maiden. I've watched an hour and a half of the somewhere back in time 2008 tour and another mtv world stage 30 minute show. I've got the Flight 666 movie set to record on March 9th at 9pm EST.

I think a lot of people here will agree that Live After Death and Rock In Rio are indispensable markers of where the band was in the '80s and after the 1999 reunion. And that Maiden are, first and foremost, a live band. There's an energy on those two live albums that you just don't get on the studio albums. I also think they were at the top of their game on the '08 tour you've already watched. Anyway, it's your journey now! Enjoy it anyway you like.

2Mins said it well, we all had our way of going about discovering Maiden and the journey should be your own :)

But yes, there's a lot to be said for also exploring the singles and the deep live cuts/b-sides on some of the singles. They really help in painting a bigger picture of the band :)

Back