Favorite Bootlegs

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
We all know there are a lot of great songs out there that never made it onto a live album or have disappeared since the supporting tours. Here are my favorite bootlegs

Purgatory (with Bruce Dickinson)

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Belgrade 1986)

The Pilgrim (2006)

I don't take much interest in bootlegs anymore, but these two were my favorites by far:

Not sure if these count since they're proshot, but these are the ones I watched/listened to more than any other. Ullevi especially, that was a mindblowing setlist. Maybe my favorite 2000's Maiden setlist.

Ullevi's was great. I wish they had resurrected Purgatory for the Early Days tour. Janick murdered (in a bad way) the Where Eagles Dare solo :(

Yea I wasn't big on that solo but it was worth getting to see Where Eagles Dare live. :shred:

Purgatory would've been great, but I really can't complain. They dug deep with that set.

Bruce in Italy '81 is great, even if the quality isn't.
Globen 2006 is probably the closest we'll get to a pro-recording of a full AMOLAD setlist show.
The Eternal Flame (Gothenburg '95) is a great show with Blaze early on in the tour so his voice is still decent--just wish it was a complete show. Bonus points for the awkward addition of "Fortunes of War" where Blaze forgets the lyrics to a good chunk of the verses, and hums it.
Ullevi '05 for the quality and the awesome setlist, of course.

I once went to a gig where they sold USB sticks with recordings of the full gig. You collected it at the end. It didn't work brilliantly and I had to get the files sent to me electronically later, but I thought it was a great idea. The quality of the recording was brilliant.

I once went to a gig where they sold USB sticks with recordings of the full gig. You collected it at the end. It didn't work brilliantly and I had to get the files sent to me electronically later, but I thought it was a great idea. The quality of the recording was brilliant.
Was it by any chance Alice Cooper?

A fair number of bands have tried things like that. I've heard of bands that give a download code to concertgoers to download soundboard audio after the show. Pearl Jam once released 100+ live albums at once covering every gig of one tour.

My favorite boot is the 2nd Hammersmith show from World Piece tour. Best live "Drifter".

My favourite bootlegs are:

• Ullevi show mentioned above (great setlist, awesome crowd)
  • Globen Stockholm (AMoLaD setlist, plus Bruce is on fire with his crowd banter)
  • War Machine (Wembley during the No Prayer on the Road Tour, good setlist, great to hear Public Enema Number One played live)

Hmm, always liked Ipswich 1983...Bruce giving that speech about Dune and Frank Herbert..

War Machine, Wembley ain't bad either....We already have like 5 or 6 songs from that show officially released :)

And of course bootlegs of shows I was at :)

• Fokkers at 6 'O Clock - Knebworth 2014 - Probably my favourite because it was my first Maiden show!
  • A Bright Way To Eternity 2007- Best sound quality boot I've got from that tour.
  • Ullevi show, for the reasons above.
  • Rock Am Ring 2005, because of the setlist, and a cracking version of Where Eagles Dare.
:)

Last edited:

Probably the earliest bootleg on Youtube - Ruskin Arms, October 5 1979. Also one of Tony Parsons' last shows, since according to the Wiki Dennis Stratton joined later that month.

I have a Ruskin Arms boot with Parsons marked Oct 10 '79 with an 8:13 Phantom. Do I have the wrong date, or the youtube guy, or are there two shows?

Back