Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Well, not exactly Love advice...just..how to convince a girl who (thinks she) doesn't like metal at all that Iron Maiden ain't that bad!? Play Revelations ;)

R9ygzmm.jpg

Wasted Years. Trust me.
I agree with this suggestion far more than the others. ("Blood Brothers," seriously??) "Revelations" is not a good choice, in my view, as it is so obviously metal. It starts with snarling guitars, then has a somewhat plodding (for Maiden) riff, and the lyrics (if you think she'll care about them) are inscrutable and, perhaps to virgin ears, a little pretentious. If she is predisposed against metal, I'm betting she will react negatively to "Revelations."

Sometimes the right answer is the obvious one: "Run to the Hills." It is the hit song that broke Iron Maiden as a major international act. Less a metal song than a solid hard rock song, it is more accessible than you'd think. "Wasted Years" or "Flight of Icarus" would be my next choices, for much the same reason. Also consider "Transylvania," believe it or not.

If she doesn't throw up on those, or if you want a more "representative" Maiden song that won't immediately scare her away, I wouldn't rule out the original "Hallowed" -- not any of the bastardized-tempo live versions. It starts slow and builds, but never fails to be melodic, and it's also about as representative an Iron Maiden song as you can find. Put it this way: if she doesn't like "Hallowed," she'll never like Maiden. And, if you do have a romantic interest in this girl and her liking or at least tolerating Maiden is important to you, that'll accelerate the point of decisionmaking, which is (or was, a decade ago) my mantra for dating.

EDIT: And if you're wondering why you should take my advice, check my sig. I'm really indebted to mckindog for that, it gives all of my rambling posts a sense of gravitas they wouldn't otherwise have. :smartarse:

Aces High is a pretty good one also. That may be my bias though.

2 Minutes To Midnight got me into Maiden also, so that's a good choice.

Wasted Years, IMO is the most accessible Maiden song.
Did I mention I taught the riff to my daughter :D

I just did a thorough cleaning of my place and ended up throwing out tons of useless stuff. It feels oddly liberating.

Back