The X-Factor Lead Guitar Tone + Introduction

Lempface

The Guide
I'm new here, so I'll give a quick introduction.

29 years old been playing guitar since I was 12 because of Powerslave. My dad brought the disc home for me from a used record shop, and I still to this day have no idea why because he never listened to anything metal, and neither had I before this record. I'm pretty certain he had never heard an Iron Maiden song, so this happenstance truly became an epiphany for me.

I immediately had to check out their whole catalogue and was just stunned.... just completely shocked at what I was hearing. The dueling guitar harmonies and beautiful guitar solos truly inspired me like nothing in music had before. I begged my dad for an electric guitar and he provided a Fender Strat and a nice vox amp for Christmas. For the next four years I basically lived in my bedroom trying to learn to play these songs on guitar without any instruction, but I had more fun doing this than anything else I had ever dabbled in.

I ended up picking up every album and had purchased Brave New World on its release. Shortly after that I finished High School and I moved outta state away from my band mates and friends and music really disappeared for me. I rarely played guitar after this with any serious ambition, and when I did play it was usually acoustic folky/bluegrassy type music that I had been enjoying listening to.

Well about a month ago I had an old friend who I had lost contact with, a drummer, who asked me to come over and jam with him. His favorite bands being AC/DC and KISS; we were able to knock out a few songs pretty quickly. The rush of playing with another person again brought back all the reasons I loved guitar in the first place.

I knew it was time to break out the Maiden. This was an interesting time for me as I had to catch up on DoD/AMoLAD/TFF, which was a really fun chore, I was stunned to see that they were still putting out great music.

I remember the one record I didn't really care for in my initial Maiden explorations was The X-Factor. The whole tone of the album just didn't ignite me the way some of the others did. I definitely enjoyed Virtual XI more at the time so I only had given X-Factor a handful of spins.

Well I've been listening to all the albums all day every day and getting my guitar playing back up to snuff and wanted to check out the X-Factor again. I really really enjoyed it this time though and especially the lead guitar tone on many of the songs, but particularly about 4 minutes into The Unbeliever.

So after that big rant, finally the question:

What makes this tone so smooth sounding? Does anyone know some tips to achieve this tone? Not looking for an exact replicate but I have Amplitube and would like to try and dial in a tone that is similar.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated, and I also just wanted to say I've read through some of the board discussions this past week and really had a good time with all the insight from you guys, lots of great reads.

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

The lead that starts on the right channel at just over 4 minutes in The Unbeliever has a lot of reverb and some delay. The bridge pickup is probably used.
It is followed by another lead on the left channel which doesn't have as much reverb/delay but occasionally uses the neck pickup, ending up in a smoother, more fluid tone.
Hard to say anything about the EQ. Probably best to keep mid/treble at about halfway and bass a little bit over half.

Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

The lead that starts on the right channel at just over 4 minutes in The Unbeliever has a lot of reverb and some delay. The bridge pickup is probably used.
It is followed by another lead on the left channel which doesn't have as much reverb/delay but occasionally uses the neck pickup, ending up in a smoother, more fluid tone.
Hard to say anything about the EQ. Probably best to keep mid/treble at about halfway and bass a little bit over half.
Thanks so much Saapanael, I'm gonna plug in and play around with those settings as a starting point. I've managed some pretty good tones for the earlier albums, but they've done many more nuanced tones in the more recent stuff.

Well I've been listening to all the albums all day every day and getting my guitar playing back up to snuff and wanted to check out the X-Factor again.
It's really good to hear of some people who go back and give the "dark ages" (so-called) a fair chance. Welcome aboard, and cheers!

I second that! Excellent. I guess this is also one of the rare occasions where someone enjoys the sound (in this case solo sound) of the album.

Back