Studio Album #16 - Rumours and Speculation (New Info 27.02.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only one I can find, is the post for the end of the Maiden England tour, saying something about the next chapter.

Nothing that interesting.

:)

At risk of appearing completely ignorant/uneducated, I wondered if this one was a reference to being in France. Posted August and has Concorde flying over, but I don't recognise the building.
http://instagram.com/p/r2EoRPlrJv/?modal=true

Btw @THESEVENTHMARINER - did you wave and say 'hi' to me at Sonisphere? Someone I don't recognise did, and I remember posting a pic of my Maiden FC t-shirt on this forum before I went.

At risk of appearing completely ignorant/uneducated, I wondered if this one was a reference to being in France. Posted August and has Concorde flying over, but I don't recognise the building.
http://instagram.com/p/r2EoRPlrJv/?modal=true

Btw @THESEVENTHMARINER - did you wave and say 'hi' to me at Sonisphere? Someone I don't recognise did, and I remember posting a pic of my Maiden FC t-shirt on this forum before I went.

No, that wasn't me, haha.

I heard somewhere that the photo refers to Maiden changing record label a few years ago, not sure to who though
:)

It isn't my idea...it's a record company rep I heard a couple of yrs ago...and I really think Maiden are in a great position in today's music industry, since they have made their mark...let me try to put it another way... if Maiden were a new band starting today, I doubt they could receive the same level of support from the record company that it took to put them in the studio and on the road as much as they were from 80-85...record companies just aren't willing to provide the rocket fuel anymore...there are great benefits from the Maiden touring method, but it takes a giant wad of cash to make it happen the way they did...touring to the extent of 80's Maiden proportions is very expensive

This RIAA propaganda bullshit needs to be addressed.

You are speaking only about negative consequences for upcoming artists, while failing to see vast number of great stuff that PC/internet "revolution" threw at them. Thankfully, real new bands aren't that blind, and have been using that advantages for over a decade now. Show me one band that said, "we were good, going to make it big, and then piracy screwed us up.". Please.

Because of piracy through powerful home computers and global broadband communication, record companies are hesitant to invest and aren't developing bands like they used to. True. But using same technology, bands nowadays produce high-quality home demos. On base of that work they enter studio, re-record, do studio stuff and create a final product in a matter of few days. Therefore, recording company invested in few days of studio (and possibly staff) time. Recording companies used to provide support in terms of producers, engineers, and other personnel that assisted band in terms of recording, arrangements, issues on sound, and even down to techniques for instruments (Kevin Shirley for Silverchair). Maybe they do that less now. So what? With myriad of free information available on Internet one can teach himself a lot, and not only that home DAW hardware/software created millions of people who record and produce their own stuff, it also resulted in creation of every level of school for audio, from free classes on your local public university to 100k $ class private training. Pick your choice.

I guess record companies are not that needed any more. They should stop publishing anything rock-related, really. It's well known that rock bands profit off the road.

Where RIAA is hurt is pop music, which is not music, it's a consumer package in audio form. All components (the singer, session musicians, songwriters, studio time) have been invested in $ and they have produced a song (product) that will be pushed through appropriate media channels to reach specific audience and return profit. Of course they're hurt by piracy. Kids today on Youtube are consuming HUGE amounts of music they're never going to hear live. So there's no other way to profit, then to monetize every aspect of music listening.

I get that, but please leave rock bands out of this piracy bullshit / recording companies. Yes Birch helped Maiden a lot, but we're in 2014. I've heard better home productions than Dance of Death.
In any case, RIAA is mad because of pop music (and blockbusters). Business model of pop music is completely different than rock, effect that media piracy had on real rock world, be it copying cassette tapes from your school buddy or torrenting MP3s, was only positive.

And, we sure as hell know what opinion Steve, Rod or Bruce have. I have never heard of official cease and desist request for Maiden material.

Btw, sorry for being a little harsh, recording industry was really important (in a positive, helpful and influential way) once. But now it's just a too-big-to-fail giant there only to make profits. We should be embracing fact that DIY can replace what was once only possible in industry.

They are two very different things, and it is a sad thing that the large productions are getting fewer each year in favour of self-produced albums. Iron Maiden has recorded live without a click track for the last 4 albums at least, and that you can not do with a laptop, Logic and a soundcard. It does sound different, but a lot of people prefer music that is played in an organic and natural human way as opposed to one that is almost machine-made to a click track in a computer. If you want an example of record someone and their cousin couldn't do in their basement, listen to One Way Ticket to Hell... And Back by The Darkness.

You can achieve a fairly good representation of that by borrowing or buying a multitrack mixer with firewire output, and MIDI drum triggers, setup everything in your garage where your band plays. It's not that expensive, especially if we're talking about real life scenario where the average of a band in question would be couple of guys with a day job in North America or EU.

Of course that a trained ear would hear a difference, but for a band without a contract it wouldn't matter. That kind of live acoustic recording won't be needed on that level.

For Christ's sake, listen to Iron Maiden debut. That shit sounds horrible. Even worse, they were signed because of Soundhouse Tapes. Now that's a bad recording. They paid 200 pounds to record what, 20 minutes of material overall?

In 2013, the relative value of £200.00 from 1978 ranges from £903.70 to £1,871.00.
By that rate, Maiden would paid almost five thousand of today's pounds to record a full-time (today's standards) album. Invest £5000 in amateur studio, and be able to produce your own demos. And better sounding, too.

The "record industry" is a misnomer. It's a music industry whose history traces back several hundred years to the rise of opera. Before recorded sound, the function of record companies was filled by sheet music publishers: they manufactured and distributed the music. They also had all the power you're used to seeing from record companies: they supported their artists, and getting signed to a big publisher was as big for a composer as a major-label deal was for a 20th-century artist.

Just like recorded sound reduced the power of sheet music publishers and put record companies in that place instead, the internet and digital tech will have the same impact this century. The decline of "record companies" is inevitable. Digital distribution is the future; eventually we'll either see record companies go fully digital, and/or giants like Amazon might become the "record companies" of this century.

But no century-old industry ever gives up the ghost easily. Thousands of jobs and careers hang in the balance. It's entirely reasonable for the transition to take a generation or longer. We've been in that transition for about 15 years now; I date the start to the late 90s when Prince became the first major artist to ignore record companies entirely and release his albums online. I'm guessing that in another 15-20 years, we'll finally be almost entirely digital, but we'll keep seeing record companies fighting evolution until then.

Interesting talk about the digital age and record companies. Digital distribution is definitely the way forward but it also saddens me a bit that along with the death of the big record labels it will also be the death of the big rock bands. We will probably never see a Led Zeppelin or a Guns N' Roses or a Queen etc etc ever again. Those big record label rock bands is a dying thing.

Digital distribution is definitely the way forward but it also saddens me a bit that along with the death of the big record labels it will also be the death of the big rock bands. We will probably never see a Led Zeppelin or a Guns N' Roses or a Queen etc etc ever again.

Yes we will. There will still be musicians, music fans and a music industry that will manufacture stars. One thing I've learned about this world: if there is money to be made somewhere, someone will find a way to do it.

There were huge world-famous musicians before sound recording too. We remember the composers now because their names got printed on the sheet music, but there were even more touring performers who were the rock stars of their time. Opera singers in particular filled this role for a couple of centuries.

There will always be rock stars as long as people are playing rock music. Only the tech changes.

Yes we will. There will still be musicians, music fans and a music industry that will manufacture stars. One thing I've learned about this world: if there is money to be made somewhere, someone will find a way to do it.

There were huge world-famous musicians before sound recording too. We remember the composers now because their names got printed on the sheet music, but there were even more touring performers who were the rock stars of their time. Opera singers in particular filled this role for a couple of centuries.

There will always be rock stars as long as people are playing rock music. Only the tech changes.

I hope so,but on that level as we saw in the 80s and 90s? Of course there will always be rock bands but those HUGE powerhouse bands? Like Guns in the 90s for example...I don't see that happening too much anymore

People need to be exposed to the music in some way. Television channels, live events and websites need something to fill their content with. The big rock and pop stars aren't going anywhere, I completely agree with SMX.

There will always be some radio bands that make it big like Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, and Slipknot. Too bad none of them are nearly as good as Maiden though.

There will always be some radio bands that make it big like Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, and Slipknot. Too bad none of them are nearly as good as Maiden though.

Avenged Sevenfold could have been, and it's a shame. Waking the Fallen is an absolutely phenomenal album. Unfortunately, they went vastly downhill after that, mostly in the vocal department.

They were doing just fine until they decided to "strip it down". That phrase might as well be a nail in the coffin for almost any band.

With the ballads and stuff? I don't know. The lead singer had vocal surgery due to improper vocal technique while screaming and his voice only recovered in the last year or two. Unfortunately, his voice recovered just in time for the music to turn to shit.

I mean stripping down their sound on the latest album. The music was dull and unoriginal, they might as well have done a Metallica covers album. They were getting a little more progressive on Nightmare with songs like Victim and Save Me, I wish they would've pursued that further.
Oddly enough, the only song I liked on the last album was Acid Rain, a ballad.

Didn't know about the surgery, I did notice his vocals improved quite a bit on the new album though. I didn't mind him on those three other post-Waking the Fallen albums though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back