Tournament of INSTRUMENTALS: Quarter Final D

Vote for your FAVOURITE instrumental track

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Welcome to Quarter Final D!

If you are new to this game, please READ this (click) before you vote!

I can't stress it enough:

No matter how long you know these songs, or how iconic they might be:
Try to erase any context, and just focus on both songs. Best thing to do is to
play these tracks back to back.

What I sometimes even do when I find it difficult to decide, is doing this twice, 2nd time in the other order.

Game progress: these older matches are still open:
Quarter Final C
Quarter Final B
Quarter Final A
#9 and #10

New:

1 vs 2
1:

2:

Love them both, but as good as Transylvania is, Ktulu is just on another level.

Compared to the lightning boltesque Transylvania, Ktulu is a washed out and irritatingly dragging drizzle.

I don't know about that, I just think of a comedy Nosferatu sneaking around when I hear Transylvania. It's a lovely, pantomime moment.

My kids sing silly made-up lyrics to Transylvania whenever it comes on in my car, which is often: "I am Dracula, I live in Transylvania." (Try it along with the riff starting at about 0:50 of the video above - the words actually fit - but beware, you'll never hear the song the same way again.) I'm voting for it.

Compared to the lightning boltesque Transylvania, Ktulu is a washed out and irritatingly dragging drizzle.

No.

Ktulu is inspired very much by the Lovecraft novel, which conveys themes of both mystery and surmounting terror, both represented extremely strongly in the song. The beginning is the unsettling moments knowing that the unknown beast draws nearer, before the song kicks off, almost as if the creature is attacking. As the song builds on and on, there's more dread built up in the song, representing the increasing death toll that the creature brings. The final moments signify the creature retreating back to the ocean, before the calm settles in once again, only to leave doubt in the listener as the final drumbeats and riffs show that danger is still nearby.

It's a different kind of song from Transylvania built on suspense and build-up, not just ending with random riffs (though they are good riffs).

No fanboism here: Transylvania is a special song.
I like Brig's take — it very much captures the campy horror fun of early Maiden.
Like Foro says, it's got a lightning intensity, but it straddles the line of fear and fun so well.
Up the hammers!

Nice write-up RTC, but Ktulu is a little ponderous.
Still very good, but overrated.

Nice write-up indeed RTC, but what you call the attack, listens as a man stabbing his victim endlessly in the same manner. Perhaps some stabs harder than others but still, all the other victims escape because the moves of the predator are predictable as hell. Excitement ends after two minutes already.

No.

Ktulu is inspired very much by the Lovecraft novel, which conveys themes of both mystery and surmounting terror, both represented extremely strongly in the song. The beginning is the unsettling moments knowing that the unknown beast draws nearer, before the song kicks off, almost as if the creature is attacking. As the song builds on and on, there's more dread built up in the song, representing the increasing death toll that the creature brings. The final moments signify the creature retreating back to the ocean, before the calm settles in once again, only to leave doubt in the listener as the final drumbeats and riffs show that danger is still nearby.

It's a different kind of song from Transylvania built on suspense and build-up, not just ending with random riffs (though they are good riffs).

Some dude did a fan video to this song with some Cthulhu images and stuff, the basically gave the song the life you're speaking off. I'll see if I can find it...

I like Transylvania too, but I think Ktulu is just better songwriting.

Comparing Transylvania to Ktulu is like comparing The Trooper to One. As in, short headbanger vs. longwinded epic. So it's hard. Still haven't decided btw.

Ktulu is inspired very much by the Lovecraft novel

In the short story (not novel) "The Call of Cthulhu", the monster is never directly seen. It is only described (by the protagonist) from statues. The only person in the story who saw Cthulhu and lived later recounts it as a flashback.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted RTCs statement, so I'm taking out the second half of mine here. I leave the above as information for any interested. :D

Last edited:
Ktulu, easily. Transylvania is an awesome instrumental but Ktulu not only is one of my favorite instrumentals, it's actually my favorite Metallica song.

Nice write-up indeed RTC, but what you call the attack, listens as a man stabbing his victim endlessly in the same manner. Perhaps some stabs harder than others but still, all the other victims escape because the moves of the predator are predictable as hell. Excitement ends after two minutes already.

I can see where you're coming from, but not only is it musically a great riff throughout, but it also helps make the moment where the riff is modified even more special. It's almost as if the sailors in the story are almost used to the creature attacking...then the atmosphere is slightly modified and terror sets in once again. Cthulhu works so well because it is based off fear of the unknown, and the song plays into that well.

Comparing Transylvania to Ktulu is like comparing The Trooper to One. As in, short headbanger vs. longwinded epic. So it's hard. Still haven't decided btw.

The Trooper is a great song. One is the greatest metal song of all time in my eyes.

Transylvania is a great song. Ktulu is the greatest instrumental of all time in my eyes.

Ktulu, for the following reasons:

1. Lovecraft
2. Lovecraft
3. It's a better song.
4. Lovecraft
MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see Ktulu coming out on top. That, YYZ, Stream of Consciousness, and LVS are my top 4 as far as remaining songs go.

Reactions: RTC
Back