Janick Gers Survivor: Death dances to victory

Are satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
58, Amigos, Fool, Flies, Man, Hill. I'd be sorry to see Wasting Love go. It's not a favourite of mine as such, but that's a such a nice solo by Janick, and so different to what he normally does.

Hmm, perhaps in 1992 it was different to what he normally does but I think he recycled (parts of) that solo several times in later solos (2 A M and Como Estais Amigos come to mind).

I for one am very, very sorry to see Fool of the Gods go. Painful to see this early end. This song has everything I adore in music, really. Great soloing is one thing, but there's much more. All I can hope is that people will give this jewel more listenings in the future. With me it struck immediately, but perhaps it needs more time to sink in with others.

Permit me to post this:
I found this review, by someone who was not over the moon by the album (anymore), but who surely portrays my thoughts on the epic grand finale:
- - - - - - -

This lp’s finest ten minutes has gotta be the only song worthy to put it to bed, the hero-ambitious “Fool for the Gods”. Airy celestial keys rise from silence, flowing through soundless space until they tighten to an ominously winding spiral. Over this a man angrily questions God, his frustration echoed by a threatening and somber halting double beat of bass drum. His tirade ends, and suddenly the atmosphere soars as if in revelation, trumpeting a triumphant gale that extinguishes the man’s uneasiness while hardening his bewildered heart. Newly-spawned cosmic energies form an eddy now vigorous to the touch, intertwining sun-bright keys with ropes of valorous solos. They surround the man, empower him, and his ultimate decision solidifies in their true clarity. Tired of waiting for answers he knows will never come, the man turns, now insolent and accusatory, “…I begged you to help us, now I defy you…”, and fearlessly declares his faithlessness. Ends with acoustics. Lyrically victorious. Wish ten minutes would fly by this easily while stuck in traffic. Easily filed under ‘a cut above’ finales (sub-file: experiment-gone-well, outside the box, above and beyond duty’s call, ‘Holy wagon wheels, Batman. I’m playin’ that shit again!’) next to Ozzy’s “Diary of a Madman”, Hammer’s “Across the Line”, Lucifer’s Friend’s “Summerdream” (Passport Recs. edition), etc..

- - - - - -

Answer my questions, give me your reasons
You talk from the heavens, you only deceived us
Why was I chosen, there must have been others
I gave all I had, the fruits of my seasons

You gave me a kingdom, I built you a temple
You were exalted, and yet you were feeble
I knelt at your altar, I knelt there before you
I begged you to help us, now I defy you

This kingdom's deserted the blood of my brothers flows into the river
I asked, I begged you, beseached you, I pleaded to help us
The people believed you, all faith that was in you was worthless
This solitary world was my pain, my anguish, my sadness

Where were you, are we fools, are you true?

Your statues neglected, no longer respected as sacred
Your prophets defy you, the people deny you you're hated
You lie in your heavens forgotten and yet you're bewildered
No longer betrothen through questions that you never answered

I looked to the mountains, the mists of your heavens surrounded
you called me , I followed, your presence around me was shrouded
your chariots stood proudly, the gates of your heavens were open
I have been used, but I never asked to be chosen

Answer my questions, give me your reasons
You talk from the heavens, you only deceived us
Why was I chosen, there must have been others
I gave all I had, the fruits of my seasons

You gave me a kingdom, I built you a temple
You were exalted, and yet you were feeble
I knelt at your altar, I knelt there before you
I begged you to help us, now I defy you

Last edited:
Gave Fool For the Gods quite a few listens over the course of this survivor. I really wanted to like it, being the epic album closer and seeing the praise it has gotten on here. Found it to be pretty dull, repetitive, and not all that ambitious. Which is a bummer.

I am amazed by that analysis, but yeah, tastes/interpretations differ.
Bummer indeed and especially unexpectedly (to me). I honestly thought this song had a chance to end up high.

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed Fool, but although it aspires to be Stargazer, it doesn't nearly reach those heights.

It is a very different song from Stargazer. Also it is original. At least, I don't know anything that sounds like it. Perhaps you can say that it mixes elements of different bands but I don't remember Purple
(quoting singer Bruce Ruff when asked if they had any trouble with press or fans because of this prominent role of the keyboards? That was an era of heavy metal and it seems that metalheads didn’t like keyboards: "I’m afraid all I can remember is a lot of mention of the inclusion of keyboards and we were criticized by those that did not know us, of copying Deep Purple. With a guitarist that is a huge fan of Ritchie Blackmore and keyboards that included a real Hammond Organ, some songs are bound to sound like Purple, but we never created any song with the intention to copy anybody. We did not care how it came out, we just wanted to make music regardless of what people may think of it, and this is why the music is a bit different to the NWOBHM that was going round at the time. We did not actually feel part of that scene at the time, it’s just that we were around at the same time - we just made music freely. If you worry about if it is going to sound good for an audience to hear, you are never going to create something new and original.")
or Rainbow having made such an epic cocktail containing such variation and use of melody (and certainly, these elements were not mixed by these bands with elements that were used in the NWOBHM scene). At least, rhythmically, take these uptempo "pre-Maidenish" parts, take the moments with that 3/4th rhythm (and double beat). And there's the spoken words, that outro with the calm acoustic guitars (something which Metallica liked to do later), the keyboards are used neatly for both atmosphere as for lead melody, and the melodic bass patterns are well put. I am not saying that this song should be seen as a better one than the classics. I am just pointing out the elements that make it strong in my opinion. And especially I argue that this song stands on its own.

@mckindog Thinking about the Coheed and Cambria stuff you're into, I wondered if you'd appreciate the dramatic nature/theme of this track (people in despair, questioning stuff etc.). :) This topic is less to the point perhaps, but the drama also shines through in the music, don't you think?

Last edited:
It is a very different song from Stargazer. Also it is original. At least, I don't know anything that sounds like it.

@mckindog Thinking about the Coheed and Cambria stuff you're into, I wondered if you'd appreciate the dramatic nature/theme of this track (people in despair, questioning stuff etc.). :) This topic is less to the point perhaps, but the drama also shines through in the music, don't you think?
I agree with pretty much all you wrote — it's original and dramatic (the Coheed comparison is a good one).
I didn't mean it sounded like Stargazer, only that it aims for the same epic scope. Another one that comes to mind is Paschendale, or maybe Xanadu.

I'm not sure why it doesn't affect me the same way; maybe it's because the rhythm guitars and keys don't have quite as much production heft, maybe it's that the rhythm section playing lacks the special touches of Peart or Lee or Harris or McBrain or Powell. Certainly, the singer lacks the balls of Dickinson or Dio.

But it's a good song. There's no shame in falling short of those heights and the band deserves points for trying.

Maybe we should send a special request to the Maiden boys to lay down a cover while they are in Paris.
Now that would be a B-side to get excited about.

I also see some comparisons with Hallowed Be Thy Name (both lyrically and musically) but perhaps I could better keep that for another time.

Eliminated: Como Estais Amigos, A View From the Hill, Fool For the Gods, Wasting Love

Red Skies (5:23), Fool For the Gods (30:39)

Be Quick, '58, Man on the Edge, Red Skies, Millionaire.

Will be well chuffed if Dance of Death wins this. :)

I think the title track of DoD is actually pretty overrated. But now it's really a matter of voting the relatively average songs out.

I think my favorite would be The Legacy. DoD is top 3 for sure though.

Honestly, apart from Dream of Mirrors and Legacy, all of those Maiden songs are at least solid songs.

Back