USA Politics

I really do not have a problem with that, if they lived here and paid into it, they should get money out of it. I'd rather the accounts be private versus public ... but that is a different story

A brief primer on Social Security. If you work as an America a percentage of your payment is taken out (approx 6%) into a mandatory retirement program. Your employer also must pay 4-something %. When you retire, you get a certain amount per month based on how much you paid in and what age you retire at (or if married you can get your spouses payment). Leaving aside how well this system works or does not work ... this was essentially their money that they put it

I would certainly go along with they should not have been let in, they should have been tried years ago, etc. But they were not and all kinds of criminals collect social security

I have to agree. Things went completely wrong from the start, and it's scandalous that they could go to America and work - but taking social security they paid into isn't the scandal here.

The principle difference of opinion might be that I find it scandalous that many of these people are still protected. Their American pensions give them a luxuary life in Europe. It feels as a reward, only because of a loophole.

But it looks like it's going to stop. The White House says it opposes Nazi benefit payments:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former Nazis should not be getting the Social Security benefits they are receiving as they age overseas, the White House said Monday, responding to an Associated Press investigation that revealed millions of dollars have been paid to war-crimes suspects and former SS guards who left the U.S. for Europe.

"Our position is we don't believe these individuals should be getting these benefits," said spokesman Eric Shultz when asked about the situation.

He said the Justice Department has said it has "aggressively pursued Nazi war criminals and brought over 100 of them to justice." He added that the department and the Social Security Administration "work together within the confines of current law to cut off benefits for criminals that shouldn't be receiving them."

continued here

Last edited:
The average social security check is $1200 a month ... not really all that rich. But yeah, they should have been tried and I suppose they still could be. It sounds like there are only 4 of these guys still alive and by they time their cases worth their way through the system, they will be dead as well.

non-issue in an election year. Not as non-issue as an American ebola pandemic, but still a non-issue.

I don't know who made government worse, I guess it's a collaborative process. The one thing Republicans and Democrats have done together.

It's a rare case when one person can singlehandedly make a monolithic institution worse. That kind of monumental fuckup takes teamwork.

I can't wait until the election is over. I want Cory Gardner off my TV and Udall's people off my doorstep. They're here three times a day now. Yes, I'm a Democrat, I'm voting for your guy already, jeebus...

Interesting
-----------------------------------
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/222196-shock-poll-millennials-want-gop-congress

Young voters prefer a Republican-led Congress, according to a new poll released on Wednesday that finds the pivotal voting bloc is "up for grabs" in next week’s election.

The survey — conducted by the Institute of Politics at Harvard University — found a significant shift from the period before the last midterm elections four years ago. Back then, 55 percent of so-called millennials, who range in age from 18 to 29, preferred a Democratic-led Congress by a margin of 55 percent to 43 percent.

This year those numbers are nearly reversed, with 51 percent of millennial voters saying they prefer a Republican Congress and 47 percent favoring Democrats.

The survey — released six days before Election Day — could spell trouble for Democrats, given that they have won the voting bloc in strong numbers during President Obama’s time in office.

Younger voters are souring on Obama as he enters the last two years of his tenure, with his approval rating falling from 47 percent in April to 43 percent now — the second-lowest rating among millennials since he took office. (The lowest came in November 2013, when Obama had a 41 percent approval rating.)

Perhaps the most surprising number in the poll: About 49 percent of young Hispanics approve of Obama's job performance, down from 81 percent in the fall of 2009 and the lowest number since the institute began conducting the survey.

John Della Volpe, the institute's polling director, summarized that it's not so much that young voters are becoming more Republican but that they are "less Democratic than we've seen."

Della Volpe pointed out that Republicans in Congress have an approval rating of 23 percent, but said that young voters are returning to their "pre-Obama roots" of becoming a swing constituency.

Maggie Williams, the Institute's director and a former top adviser to Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2008, said the poll sent a strong message to both Democrats and Republicans.

"Ignore millennial voters at your peril," Williams said.

The institute polled more than 2,000 young voters between September 26 and October 9.

Be curious to see what the results are on election day with the exit polls. If this holds it is fairly big news. Then again, does this only poll likely voters? If so, and millenials are less likely to vote in midterms, is this indicative of the enthusiasm gap? Lots of questions this asks.

Yeah ... I read the key takeaway being that this group is not solid support for anyone (and obviously the 18-29 YO group changes regularly as people age. I think a lot of people bought into "Hope and Change
" and all the hype and feel let down. Various groups have shifted from party to party (except for blacks) over the past 20 years ... they could shift again and it is a mistake for Dems/Hillary to think they are 100% locked into them.

Lot's of polling this years shows a disappearing gender gap this year as well, especially in places like Colorado.

Anyway

Actual survey with methodology is here

http://www.iop.harvard.edu/october-...e&utm_medium=hero&utm_campaign=Fall2014Survey

they could shift again and it is a mistake for Dems/Hillary to think they are 100% locked into them.
Completely agree here. No matter what the percentages are, every political party needs to work hard to win every demographic. Ignoring one is damn near asking for that demographic to abandon you.

Election tomorrow, I took advantage of early voting on Friday. There are no real contested races on my ballot, but I went anyway

Back