NOW WATCHING

I do not think it is a master piece (or as some have called it a "new Star Wars" or anything like that.
I saw someone call it a closer offspring of Flash Gordon than Star Wars and the movie George Lucas was probably trying to make with the prequels. I could agree with that.

It's definitely the best Marvel movie, but like every other Marvel movie it's nothing more than a really cool summer blockbuster. Wouldn't even put it in the same conversation as (the original) Star Wars I could see potential in the franchise to create something bigger and more epic in scope (while still being fun), though.

I would say GOTG comes in second or third as far as Marvel movies go. I still love Avengers the most and the first Iron Man was pretty great.

I loved the Avengers (despite thinking it was a little overrated) and the first Iron Man is probably a close second, but something about GOTG really thrilled me and reignited my interest in the Marvel franchise in general. It seemed to take all the things I loved about the other movies and turn it up a notch, while removing certain aspects I didn't like.

I loved the Avengers (despite thinking it was a little overrated) and the first Iron Man is probably a close second, but something about GOTG really thrilled me and reignited my interest in the Marvel franchise in general. It seemed to take all the things I loved about the other movies and turn it up a notch, while removing certain aspects I didn't like.

I very much agree. But I've also only seen GOTG once, whereas the others I've watched at least 4-5 times (especially Avengers). I definitely think this film has reignited my hopes for the longevity of the Marvel films.

Yea it's a little more balanced for me, the only one I've seen multiple times is Iron Man (3 times). Although I'm planning on watching The Avengers again when I get enough time. I've liked all the Marvel movies but never really had the urge to go back to them. This isn't so much a testament to the quality as it's a personal thing with movies in general. For example, I absolutely loved Dark Knight Rises when I saw it in the cinema but didn't watch it again until earlier this year.

That said, it was less than a day after seeing GOTG that I really wanted to watch it again. I've been wanting to go see it in the theater again but haven't had a chance. I've never had the urge to see a movie in theaters more than once before. Not even with the Batman movies (which are still far superior though).

GotG (saw it Sunday) was a lot of fun and I think the Star Wars comparisons are apt.
Unlike other Marvel flicks, I had no knowledge of characters going in.
I thought it was about as good as a popcorn flick gets.

that's pretty much his thing now. He makes movies about killing people.

About killing people JUSTIFIABLY, though. In Taken, because he's rescuing his daughter, in the sequel both wife and daughter, in Walk Among the Tombstones, someone else's wife/daughter. In that air marshal movie, because he has to save the plane, mostly from the mayhem he himself created lol. But yeah, it isn't like Jason Stathem, who has less justifiable reasons for kicking ass and mindless action, Liam has usually very personal reasons for shooting people. He's our generation Charles Bronson in Death Wish 1-5.

Started watching Manhattan ... on WGN America of all places. Pretty good show, starts off a bit slow, but picks up the pace pretty quickly. It is about the Manhattan Project

I'm trying to watch horror movies during October to stay in the Halloween spirit. Ideally, I'd like to watch movies I've never seen before, and especially those that are considered classics. So far, I've watched:

Hellraiser - a terrible, horrible piece of garbage with a few really cool set pieces and creature effects. But, wow, what a piece of trash.

Fright Night - a very enjoyable film. Not scary at all, but the last twenty minutes are really fantastic. Super dated look and soundtrack, though.

Started watching Manhattan ... on WGN America of all places. Pretty good show, starts off a bit slow, but picks up the pace pretty quickly. It is about the Manhattan Project
I've heard that's really good. I've had this on-and-off idea about writing a historical fiction book about the Manhattan Project, and I'd definitely want to watch that first.

I'm trying to watch horror movies during October to stay in the Halloween spirit. Ideally, I'd like to watch movies I've never seen before, and especially those that are considered classics. So far, I've watched:

Hellraiser - a terrible, horrible piece of garbage with a few really cool set pieces and creature effects. But, wow, what a piece of trash.

Fright Night - a very enjoyable film. Not scary at all, but the last twenty minutes are really fantastic. Super dated look and soundtrack, though.

I watched Hellraiser too not that long ago for the first time, horrible piece of garbage is a bit harsh but the story was all over the place.

I never figured out what was the point with that homeless man following Kirsty into the pet store, and then at the end of the movie he suddenly reappears, goes into the flames after the box and turns into a dragon, WTF?! What did that have to do with anything? Unless this has some meaning in Hellraiser II (which I've not seen either) or something, that made no sense. The creepiest thing about the movie was not the cenobites or any of the creatures as such, but I thought the thing about Frank living in the house top floor unbeknownst to the rest of the family, just hiding in that room, and then Julia bringing him blood to regenerate, was the scariest "storyline" of the movie, in my opinion.

If you want similar movies to Fright Night, you should watch Monster Squad, The Burbs, The Gate :)

Think they can make it worthwhile? The first season of Twin Peaks is incredible. Then it got fucked.

I agree that the first season is vastly superior but I love almost everything about Twin Peaks so the different interwoven story lines and interactions between the characters are enough to keep me interested :) But yeah, there were a few really uneventful episodes in the second season, especially the few episodes following the solution to Laura's murder and everything. None of the other story arcs really reached that same suspense.

I think they can make it worthwhile, as long as Lynch and Frost are in control of the production and everything, I think it can turn out really well.

The problem with Twin Peaks was they had no overall idea for what they wanted to do. They did stuff just to add twists and turns to it, not with a prize in mind.

Kinda like LOST.

Hopefully Season Three resolves that.

Its a soap opera built around a murder case, really. You get to know all of the inhabitants and their problems. I personally don't mind that it's not always coherent or that it follows a strict idea. I just like to get soaked up in the atmosphere of the city of Twin Peaks for an hour.

But you're probably right that they'll have more of a plan going into it this time. If the second season of Twin Peaks and LOST has taught television writers anything, it's that :p But then knowing Lynch - maybe they won't :D

More Twin Peaks?! That was unexpected. I loved that series, especially the first series couple of seasons, but like Loosey said, it got a bit messy and over-complicated, as if they didn't have any conclusions in mind and were just stringing it out for effect. I'm not even convinced I've seen all of it. The US ending was supposedly different to the UK/World version.

Fright Night is one of the few kitsch 80s films I can rewatch

Maybe this doesn’t work for guys as much, but I find my sympathies drift towards the vampire. The suave, seductive and misunderstood (even if rather evil) Jerry Dandridge is a much more appealing character than whining teen hero Charlie. Then there’s Evil Ed and Peter Vincent, Vampire Killer. All great characters.

I kinda liked the soundtrack too. The whole thing is a bit 80s nostalgic for me, rather than being dated in a bad way. It’s not scary at all, just very camp and theatrical. Good fun.

Back