Official American Football Thread

packers___week_2_vs_new_york_jets_v2_by_nickrhea-d7tti89.jpg

Edit: I just noticed ... if all the Avengers are on the ground there ... who's flying the quinjet that's about to crash in the background?
That's so freaking awesome! And congrats to the Pack on their win!

I swear that piece of garbage Adrian Peterson shouldn't be allowed to play a game ever again in his entire life! He should be locked up for life for what he did to his poor, innocent son!

I find it amusing that Ray Rice is suspended forever but Ben Roethlisberger is still allowed to QB the Steelers.

Awesome comeback by the Bears. When I looked at the schedule, I assumed we would be 1-1 at this point, but certainly not like this.

I find it amusing that Ray Rice is suspended forever but Ben Roethlisberger is still allowed to QB the Steelers.

Rice is appealing ... what I really do not get is why there is not the same amount of crap being thrown at the criminal justice system ... they let Rice off with essentially nothing and the DA recently said the sentence was correct and people get that type of sentence for doing far worse than what Rice did. My thought is time and publicity would be better spent on that. We will end up with the NFL (and pro sports in general) having very tough penalties for this sort of thing, which at most covers .000001% of these cases and the criminal justice system in the exact place it is now

they let Rice off with essentially nothing and the DA recently said the sentence was correct and people get that type of sentence for doing far worse than what Rice did.

They put first-time domestic violence offenders in counseling rather than jail because that has been more effective at keeping such people from become second-time offenders. The goal is not punishment, it's prevention.

Which might be fine, but then it is baffling as to why the NFL is being held to a higher punishment standard than the criminal justice system

The NFL is a private organization with its own pressures. The justice system has the responsibility to rehabilitate offenders. The NFL has a product to sell to the public, and the public has spoken.

The public is speaking incorrectly IMO ... but "the public" is generally idiotic and will divert their attention to the next #cause by next week

Maybe so, but that doesn't stop the NFL from having to protect its product. They should probably develop a very smart policy on such things.

I am sure they will, they will do some one size fits all deal ... and the #people will think they did some great thing against domestic violence

They did. NFL changed their domestic abuse policy to six week suspension for first offense, banned from the league for a second, directly in response to the outrage over Rice's original 2-week suspension. They mailed it to all the teams, and the Ray Rice video surfaced a week later.

In general I am not in favor of one size fits all and (not the case with Rice, but for others), when do you enforce the penalty? before or after the legal system runs its course. Earlier this month, there was a baseball player accused of this sort of thing, the Tigers kept him in the minors instead of calling him up ... turns out the claims were shown to be BS and this guy lost out of 30 days or so of MLB service time and salary

The timing of enforcement right now is a big issue in the NFL. Beyond the domestic abuse, look at the Josh Gordon case. Caught on a dirty drug test for pot, and on a second offense for such, the league announced that Gordon would be suspended. This was early in the off-season, way before the draft. But the NFL didn't hand down the actual penalty of a one-year suspension until just last month - far too late for the Browns to draft a replacement for the top receiver they'll now be missing. The NFL's handling of timing penalties is hurting teams in the league in a way that spoils competition.

The Browns new he was going to be suspended, the question was for how long ... I agree they should have announce the penalty sooner. But, even if he was not suspended, they still needed to draft a WR

It was known that was a possibility given this was not his first offense. IIRC, 8 weeks was a best case scenario

It sounds like the NFL needs to alter how they do their discipline. To me, I agree with bearfan that a "one size fits all" policy is incorrect - but guaranteed minimums should be considered.

A lot of that is complicated by the Union .... these penalties (especially for PEDs/drugs) and the process in which other penalties are handled are part of the collective bargaining greement

That Denver - Seattle game was pretty close. I never would've thought that would have been the outcome.

Back