European Politics

This is arguably the most interesting day in the history of Europe since 1989.

2.25 A new poll puts NO six points ahead. The Ipsos Mori poll for the Evening Standard puts No on 53 and Yes on 47.

A YouGov poll for the Times last night put No four ahead - 52-48. Panelbase got the same result. A separate Ipsos Mori poll for STV released last night gave a closer race - 51-49.

The poll found that six in 10 of those voting for Scotland to stay in the union were motivated more by "fear" about the risks of independence than "hope" for the future. By contrast eight in 10 Yes voters said they were motivated more by hope than fear.

Nice

10.20 Andy Murray has been subject to vile online abuse after declaring for the Yes campaign. One Twitter user says he wishes he had been "killed at Dunblane". Murray was a pupil at the school and present when a gunman killed 17 children and teachers in 1996.

Amusing

11.30 And the winner is... Mel Gibson.

Sales of Braveheart have risen from 1074th in the Amazon DVD charts to 454th, and still rising.

The film, shot largely in Ireland for tax reasons, had its Scottish premiere at Stirling Castle in September 1995.

Probably unwise

Many pubs plan to open all night. In Glasgow last night, police lines separated heated Yes and No supporters. One side sang Flower of Scotland; the other the national anthem.

Regardless of the result, it is going to divide the country pretty well, people being unhappy with the result. It affects the entirety of Britain as well, but only people living in Scotland are allowed to vote ^^.

I still don't think the country's future should be decided by a 51-49 percent split, which seems likely.

Hmm, Scotland has lots of oil you say? and might possibly be suddenly removed from every international pact/group? Where did I put that stock "Sounds like someone needs some freedom" meme...

I still don't think the country's future should be decided by a 51-49 percent split, which seems likely.
This very almost happened in Canada. Rumour has flown that anything under 60% would not have been allowed here, nobody knows what the government would do.

97% of people in Scotland eligible are registered. At that percentage, I'd say that even if it is one single vote, it should be considered legit.

How long does it take to get typical election results in Scotland? Will we know shortly after polls close, or have to wait?

Does Scotland have automatic recounts for close votes?

By the way, as a Scotch-Irish whose family was kicked off the island hundreds of years ago by an English king: go vote yes.

This very almost happened in Canada. Rumour has flown that anything under 60% would not have been allowed here, nobody knows what the government would do.

97% of people in Scotland eligible are registered. At that percentage, I'd say that even if it is one single vote, it should be considered legit.

60% is a good threshold if it's such a dynamic change to the country. It would be best to have a larger majority support the shift of the country as opposed to splitting the country in the middle.

How long does it take to get typical election results in Scotland? Will we know shortly after polls close, or have to wait?

6.30AM BST is the expected time of announcement. But there's a good possibility it could be later.

Back