Official Football Thread

Looking forward to Giroud coming back from injury then, and Walcott who will put Welbeck on the bench.

Sanogo, Walcott, Alexis, Podolski = SWAP :innocent:

It's interesting that you bring that up Wingman, because if I were at Manchester United fan I'd be worried about the future of the club's youth system which, under Alex Ferguson, has always brought through good players who have gone on to be part of the first team. Now that LVG has taken over the club has joined Manchester City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona in spending millions and millions of pounds on a small number of players with the aim of sorting out their problems quickly. Since Abramovich bought Chelsea there have been next to no young players breaking into the first team and nobody has broken through at Manchester City in the last five or six years either. I don't think that Manchester United can be sorted out in a matter of months with a handful of A-list signings thought considering how squads have been built over the last 25 years. With United's tradition of bringing through young players it made a degree of sense to make David Moyes the manager as he always brought through young players at Everton, but he was never going to have the time to build anything. It's not that LVG doesn't have a track record of bringing through young players (he gave Xavi and Iniesta their debuts, and they're ok) but it all has to be spend, spend, spend for United now. Fergie never bothered doing that. He bought specifically and intelligently.

Ideally, Man Utd need this starting XI:

De Gea
Evans
Shaw
Rojo
Jones
Blind
Di Maria
Herrera
Falcao
Rooney
Van Persie

Unfortunately, due to injuries, it'll be a while before this becomes fully available.

England won't do anything with Hodgson as a coach. Wait for Ancelotti or Mourinho and give them all the money they want.

Both of them were very successful in (almost) all of the clubs they coached, both experienced in English football.

True. However, my point is that they have to go for top, successful coaches. And these two would be my picks. Hodgson isn't good enough.

England used a high pressure team defense combined with a counter attacking system where long balls were targeted towards fast paced attackers for decades. They decided to abolish it as soon as it started producing results in world football.

A good decision. :p

England have a lot of pace and should probably make use of that if they want to do anything in tournaments. However, Roy Hodgson is too negative to get the team to play the way they need to and get the results that are expected of him. I hope it stays that way.

Classic Phil Jones last night:
Bwoq96cIUAEWlEP.jpg

Brazil coach Dunga has removed PSG's Thiago Silva from the Brazil captaincy & has handed it to Barcelona's Neymar.

If Scolari didn't manage it, this guy will run them into the ground. Ridiculous decision.

Ronnie's Portugal lost to Albania :) I'll consider everything other than winning our group a failure. Can't wait for next break and our first competitive match against Armenia. We were OK against France, considering how strong they are. Probably gonna go see Serbia-Denmark in November in person, haven't been to a football match in a long, long time. Can't miss Lord Bendtner.

Back