Fans Start Petition To Bring Back Derek Riggs

I can imagine that Riggs isn't a option anymore if the parties don't get together and talk things over. Still it is possible, and a comeback is not entirely unrealistic before Maiden calls it quits.

What is more realistic? Get rid of the incompetent fools who did the artworks of the albums since Dance of Death.

Fear of the Dark, The X-Factor, even Virtual XI. Much better. Get rid of the amateurs, bring (back) the real artists.

I really don't care at all.

Fear of the Dark, Brave New World, and A Matter of Life and Death have great covers. The only time a Maiden cover is bad, IMO, is when they try to do something new, like TXF or Dance of Death. As long as whatever artist they choose doesn't do something stupid like clay figurines or Sega Genesis digital dancing characters, I'll be happy.

I can imagine that Riggs isn't a option anymore if the parties don't get together and talk things over. Still it is possible, and a comeback is not entirely unrealistic before Maiden calls it quits.

What is more realistic? Get rid of the incompetent fools who did the artworks of the albums since Dance of Death.

Fear of the Dark, The X-Factor, even Virtual XI. Much better. Get rid of the amateurs, bring (back) the real artists.

Melvyn Grant not only did FOTD and VXI, but TFF as well. Hardly an amateur/incompetent fool.

If Maiden would get their act together and go back to making art like this gem:

power-slave-II.jpg

Then I'd really be happy.

Still don't know what to feel about the TFF Eddie..I think I liked him more when he was done in that cartoon style as on the Final Frontier artwork and El Dorado. On the original album he was neither cool nor menacing, but kudos to Grant for trying to re-imagine Eddie again (best Eddie that Melvyn has done is Fear of The Dark IMO)

I still don't dig the Final Frontier album art. Eddie just looks gawky goofy, sorta like the hairy monster (except without the hair) from Big Trouble in Little China. I thought the single, pulpy comic cover art they used for TFF single would've been a fantastic album cover instead. Very unique in the Maiden catalogue, and would've stood out brilliantly as an album cover.

I still don't dig the Final Frontier album art. Eddie just looks gawky goofy, sorta like the hairy monster (except without the hair) from Big Trouble in Little China. I thought the single, pulpy comic cover art they used for TFF single would've been a fantastic album cover instead. Very unique in the Maiden catalogue, and would've stood out brilliantly as an album cover.

I agree completely.
Especially the artwork for the El Dorado promo cd looks great and would have made for a very different, but also very cool looking Eddie the head.
In recent years (read the new album tours, not so much the nostalgia related things) Eddie has become much less menacing and intriguing, and instead he has looked increasingly silly (i.e. Gen. Custer- and TFF Eddie in particular).

I think the real life Edie on TXF cover was not only an awful idea, but poorly executed too. Somehow, though, it works for that album. But I hope they never do it again.

Are you speaking of the mutilated Eddie, or of Eddie sitting on the Electric chair? The last one is awfull, but I find the former stunning.

Last edited:
I was thinking mutilated Eddie, but I dislike both anyway.

Back