Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

Didn't know that. I do know that nowadays Judas Priest gets far more radio airplay, at least where I live.

Adding on to Judas Priest's more commercial attitude, they were the ones who made TV ads to advertise their albums :p

Priest DID get more radio airplay. It has many more recognizable hit singles than Maiden. And, when metal "broke" on MTV in the early 1980s (MTV actually played music videos all day long back then), Priest's videos got much heavier rotation.

And yet... Maiden has sold far more albums. It is notoriously difficult to pin down accurate record sales data. According to the New York Times, Maiden has sold roughly 85 million albums worldwide; Priest has sold about 50 million albums (according to everyone's most reliable source, Wikipedia, which does not provide a source for this factoid). That's a pretty big difference, even though the members of Priest are still multimillionaires.

Judging by my recent anecdotal experience at Southern California concerts, it's not even a close call in terms of current popularity. On Judas Priest's Epitaph tour, they probably sold about 10,000 tickets to their single Southern California show, at the San Bernadino amphitheater. Iron Maiden, on the other hand, sold over 27,000 tickets in the same venue, and also another 25,000+ tickets in the Irvine amphitheater, during the recent Maiden England tour. I was at those shows, and while the Priest crowd was respectable, the Maiden crowds were enormous.

For what it's worth, U.S. first-week sales of The Final Frontier also dwarfed sales of Redeemer of Souls (63,000 vs. 32,000), which still debuted at a respectable #6 on the Billboard 200 chart.

Last edited:
And yet... Maiden has sold far more albums.
In the States around 1990? I think Priest could have sold at least as many albums as Maiden. Also in the decade after that. You can check that by checking out their platina history. Maiden did a bit better since 1999, and way better since let's say 2006, but before 2006, I remember that these bands were pretty equal when it comes to sales in the States (again, purely based on platinum and golden record status).

Last edited:
I actually prefer Priest very slightly to Maiden, but Rob's quote above seems to imply that Maiden is a "ten minute" wonder. That is just nonsense.
But then again people say a lot of stuff. Priest has obviously had some issues with Maiden and as a result Priest ?is? (used to be) jealous of Maiden.
Likewise, I think that Maiden has been a bit pissed off with Metallica, as they grew even bigger than Maiden. ("...I think I see Metallica in the rear view mirror... faster... faster...")
So, no matter how good music you make or how album-oriented you are, the band is always a business and if some newer band manages to grab a bigger piece of the cake in your genre, you automatically figure you made a mistake/should have done better, which makes you jealous. It is only human, I guess.

Can somebody verify my entirely subjective impression from a cursory glance that Priest toured the States much heavier in the 80's than Maiden did?

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall Priest skipping european tours after certain albums in the 80s in favour of the US.
I also remember Maiden coming to Finland surprisingly often in the 80s, even on their biggest tours. (Piece of Mind, Powerslave, etc.)
So, I guess you might be right.

(added later)
According to "setlist.fm" only one show in Germany during World Vengeance Tour in 82-83.
And no shows in France during that time. At this time they recorded the Memphis Live VHS (maybe partly to console the fans is Europe and also to push the band bigger in US.)

No shows in England between jan 6 1984 and june 12 1988!! If this can be correct, more than four years gap in their home turf.

Last edited:
Yeah, that confirms that 80's Priest do feel a bit like an American band to me.

Can somebody verify my entirely subjective impression from a cursory glance that Priest toured the States much heavier in the 80's than Maiden did?

I think that is correct. Priest had more major hits in the US than Maiden did so they wanted to establish themselves commercially in the states.

I'm not 100% this list is correct, but according to the setlists saved in setlist.fm (many might be missing) it shows the following:

Iron Maiden gigged in US: (year+number of gigs)
'81 41/'82 95/'83 73/'84 9/'85 86/'87 69/'88 47

and Priest in US;
'80 30/'81 49/'82 54/'83 17/'84 63/'85 1/'86 61/'88 59

I highly doubt these being the exact figures, though.

Priest DID get more radio airplay. It has many more recognizable hit singles than Maiden. And, when metal "broke" on MTV in the early 1980s (MTV actually played music videos all day long back then), Priest's videos got much heavier rotation.

And yet... Maiden has sold far more albums. It is notoriously difficult to pin down accurate record sales data. According to the New York Times, Maiden has sold roughly 85 million albums worldwide; Priest has sold about 50 million albums (according to everyone's most reliable source, Wikipedia, which does not provide a source for this factoid). That's a pretty big difference, even though the members of Priest are still multimillionaires.

Overall I think Maiden has done a much better job at selling off the whole package, ie merchandise, image, music etc to a new audience than Priest has. You don't see many screaming teenagers in the audience at Priest shows today like you do at Maiden.

Priest kinda still only appeal to the "old" metal heads if you ask me and doesn't nearly draw in as many new ones, that's my experience at least...Priest got stuck in time and in an outdated image somewhere along the line...Maiden found a way to be relevant still.

You're probably right as I am a retro-geezer myself:p In my thirties.

As a teacher, generally I feel the 13-15-year-olds recognize Maiden and Metallica, some even listen to 'em, but Priest... not so much.

And Maiden has cooler merchandise. It's really difficult to find cool stuff on 70s Priest Albums. All you get is the nonsense from the "American" period:nana:

Priest were off the radar for a long time, much longer than Maiden were, if that's what you consider the Blaze years to be. Maybe that harmed their longevity a bit, but I still think they have a strong and dedicated fanbase - just maybe not as big as Maiden. As for the retro thing, the more I think of it, the more I think that may hold true. By my experience, people who are into Priest have a tendency to be people identifying themselves with 80's metal, while people into Maiden have a greater bandwidth. I don't want to generalise this, but it is sort of what my observation teaches me.

True, however, I must be the exception to the rule. I specifically like 70s Priest and Painkiller. (Screaming and Defenders are okay, but nowhere near my faves). On the other hand, with Maiden it IS strictly the 80s stuff (especially Number of the Beast-Somewhere in Time) that captivates me. But, yeah, in general, I think you are right. Maiden has been more consistent, hasn't followed the trends as much.

However, I would expand the 90s in total being a soul-searching period for Maiden, I think No Prayer and Fear show a band very unsure of what they should do. With the Blaze albums, I feel there is more of a logical sense of what they want to do, even if I don't personally care for that style.

Priest however... well... Turbo. Nostradamus. Point of Entry. They never seem to think about anything... just go with the flow...:grumble:

Info looked up in 2007:
Overview of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest:

Albums (live included):
Iron Maiden:
5 platinum (NOTB, POM, Powerslave, LAD, SIT)
3 gold (Killers, SSOASS, NPFTD)

Judas Priest:
5 platinum, of which one double platinum (DOTF, Turbo, BS, Unleashed in the East, SFV)
7 gold (Ram it Down, Stained Class, Sin After Sin, Point of Entry, HBFL, Painkiller, Priest..Live!)

Videos:
Iron Maiden:
4 platinum, of which one double platinum (LAD, RIO, The Early Days, Visions of the Beast)
3 gold (12 Wasted Years, Behind the Iron Curtain, Maiden England)

Judas Priest:
1 platinum (Electric Eye)
3 gold (Fuel for Life, Judas Priest Live, Rising in the East)

source: http://www.riaa.com

The following Maiden studio-albums went platinum on the following dates:

The Number of the Beast --> 2 October 1986
Piece of Mind --> 5 November 1986
Powerslave --> 17 June 1991
Somewhere in Time --> 20 July 1992

The following Priest studio-albums went platinum on the following dates:
Screaming for Vengeance --> 18 April 1983 (and double platinum 16 October 2001)
Defenders of the Faith --> 26 September 1988
Turbo --> 24 July 1989
British Steel --> 9 August 1989
Up til (at least) 2007 Priest ruled over Maiden with their albums in the US. Maiden did better with the videos.

Last edited:
In the States around 1990?
No, the sales figures I cited were worldwide. Priest was indeed a bit more popular in the U.S., and Screaming for Vengeance was bigger in the States than anything Iron Maiden ever released. While it is true that Maiden has been much more popular since 2006, I don't think that accounts for a 35 million unit difference in sales (if that number is accurate).

Okay, gloves off. We are comparing Priest to Maiden anyways, so let's go all the way. Note: Simply my opinions, not facts.

Rocka Rolla vs Iron Maiden=Maiden wins. Sad Wings vs Killers=Sad Wings. Sin vs Beast= this is a tough one... My brain says Beast, but my heart says Sin.
Stained vs Mind=I can't decide. Both brilliant. Killing vs Powerslave=Slave, obviously. Unleashed vs LAD=Unleashed 100%, LAD 99,999999999999999%.
Steel vs Time=Time. Entry vs Seventh=Seventh... But I like Scream and Defender better than Seventh, though.
Blasphemy: Jugulator vs X Factor=Jugu, but it's not that good. Demolition vs Virtual=Tough one, as I like neither. Maybe Virtual, it has at least Futureal.
Comeback: Angel vs Brave=another tough one. Hellrider is killer, so I'll go with Priest. Nostra vs Dance=Dance, definitely. Redeemer vs Matter=Redeemer. Metalizer, yeaah, baby!

Or, if you prefer, year by year: 76-79 Priest (no competition), 80-86 Maiden (83 and 85 only Maiden), 88-90 Priest (Ram vs Seventh a tight one, though), after 91 I think they always released on different years, so no competition.

Post Scriptum: Forgive me this inexcusable self-indulgence.

Back on the topic of Painkiller: This is my favorite Metal album of all time. Of all time! If anyone was to ask me what Metal is, I'd give them this album, because it really says it all. It's loud, fast, in your face, with the perfect balance of heavy and melodic. It's everything I could ask for in a Metal album. Not only that, but every song is perfect in its own right. There is not one second of weakness on this album and I really couldn't pick a least favorite track if I tried. It's the best amount of heavy too. A lot of more modern metal albums, while very good, don't really have the resonance that this album has. I'm not sure what it is, there are plenty of albums released both before and after Painkiller that are much "heavier", yet I've never heard an album that packs as much of a punch as this one does.

The title track has received plenty of praise and sits at the #1 spot in my Judas Priest rankings (though I've never considered what would come after #1). Not much needs to be said about this one.

Hell Patrol is the perfect second track. Priest are really good at placing the second song on an album. The Ripper, Metal Gods, Riding On the Wind, Locked In, even Heavy Metal. Especially when your opening tracks are so strong, it's hard to find a second song to keep the momentum going without overpowering the opener, but Priest does a good job with this. Especially on Hell Patrol. At this point in the album it's very clear that this album isn't going to calm down for anything. Halford's shrieks in the final chorus still give me chills to this day.

I've never been big on the a cappella part in All Guns Blazing. It seems unnecessary and doesn't do a whole lot for me, but this is the only negative thing I can say about the track. After taking down the tempo a bit for Hell Patrol, the energy is brought back up to the full throttle that was established with Painkiller. This is an angry song and I love it. I absolutely love the breakdown too. So much building tension before going back into the high speed verse. The screaming guitars sprinkled throughout the track are a nice touch at all. And this has to be one of my all time favorite Priest choruses. ALL! GUNS! ALL GUNS BLAZING! :shred:

Leather Rebel is epic. The drums on this track are relentless. From the double bass in the verse and chorus to the snare hits on the pre chorus. This song never lets up,
the way the tension builds and releases is brilliant. It's short, sweet, and to the point.

Like the a cappella start of All Guns Blazing, the guitar solos in the intro of Metal Meltdown don't really do anything for me. And they seem very obviously tacked on. But once again, that's the only bad thing I have to say about the track. This is another great example of tension and release, the way the verse and prechorus build suspense and grow in heaviness going into the Sabbathy chorus.
And that outro. The way the tension builds with Rob screaming METAL! MELTDOWN! It doesn't get better than that.

Night Crawler fights with One Shot At Glory for my second favorite song on this album. It has a classic Priest vibe to it. The creepy guitar intro is enough to send shivers down your spine, and the prechorus/chorus ooze with classic Priest goodness with a modern twist. The twin guitar leads and bridge (before the intro returns) are something straight out of Sin After Sin.

Between the Hammer and the Anvil has always seemed somewhat out of place on this album. I'm not sure what it is but it has a different vibe to me. But that's nothing against the track, which kicks ass. I love Halford's vocals on this. It has a 70's vibe in the verses too. It's another classic sounding track in general that wouldn't be totally out of place on Defenders of the Faith. It's great to hear Priest back in touch with what made them great.

Love A Touch Of Evil. I've never been big on Priest's ballads, but this one really does it for me. It's a bit slower but it doesn't tone down the darkness/heaviness found on the rest of the album. It's exactly what I want a ballad from Priest to sound like. The riff is pounding and the guitars and drums are still heavy. I also really love the bridge, the way it builds into Halford's "YOU'RE POsSESSING ME!". Epic.

Battle Hymn/One Shot At Glory is the perfect way to end the album. It's the musical equivalent of coming out of a pit. Out of all the darkness and heaviness preceding it, here's a song that screams victory and ends the album on a positive note. In an album filled with doom and metal monsters, this song is a very perfect and cinematic closer. I could also easily imagine this song being on Ram It Down. Gives a good glimpse at what that album could've been.

Priest may have written Metal Gods ten years earlier, but in my mind they only became worthy of that title with this album.

Oh yea Living Bad Dreams. Good song but I think they might the right choice cutting it. I can't think of a spot on the album where it fits and it does seem like a step down in quality. But I grew up with the original version of the album so maybe that has a lot to do with it, compared to someone who heard the remastered version first (this is definitely the case with me and the version of the first Iron Maiden album that includes sanctuary).

But yea, it's a great bonus track but it's still a bonus track. It would be a highlight on any other album, but I don't think it's up to the standard of the other songs on Painkiller. And apparently the band knew that.

@Mosh
Your genuine love for the album is heart-warming. What a killer album! A true metal classic at a surprisingly late stage in their career. Your analysis seems very accurate and makes me want to listen to the album right away... once again:shred:

Back