BRUCE DICKINSON SURVIVOR 2014: Results -> Darkside Of Aquarius wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
The really good songs from BTP? Perhaps one or two are as good. Even if you find more of them better, still I'd say it's too early to get rid of these great songs.

The two No Way Out songs are very different. What don't you get of the To Be Continued? You don't like strong metal riffs and instrumental section of this nature?

Fire Child is one of the dullest songs. :yawn: It's beyond me how that beats the infectious guitar melodies and chord schemes of The Breeding House (among the best of his whole discography) or the power and atmosphere of that other phenomenal track.

Welcome to world young man...

Last edited:
As evidenced by my voting, there are six songs on BTP I prefer to the rest. This is my preference.

I find the vocals on To Be Continued (especially the intro, talky pre-chorus, and post-solo FX section) incredibly annoying. The chorus and the solo are the only enjoyable parts of the song for me. The acoustic break feels forced and out of place.

Continued, I cannot get into at all. It's just not the type of song I want to hear from Bruce Dickinson. The silly keyboard, Peter Gabriel vibe, and weird baritone vocals are just off-putting. "To register surprise" is delivered in a cringeworthy manner, ditto on "I've been working hard for this...all my life...and I like it this way." It's just an incredibly cheesy song, even for Bruce.

Fire Child is one of the dullest songs.

IRYO

Thanks for explaining it a bit more from your point of view.

I find Bruce's bluesy work entertaining at most, but I can't take it seriously enough to like it better than great melodies and vocal deliveries, in which I can hear the fire in his eyes when he recorded them.

I still recall the feeling of unbelief when I heard these songs for the first time on the Tears of the Dragon single.

Such strong material but not on the album. Now I can see that stylewise they were different from the triby feeling of the rest.

Last edited:
Breeding house is such a kickass metal track.
To be continued took a while to grow on me, and those are fair criticisms Knick, but it is a good song.
I quite enjoy the David Bowie affectations on Continued, but, again, fair comment.
I think all three are as good or better than virtually all of BTP.

Hell on Wheels
Dive! Dive! Dive!
Winds of Change
Darkness be my Friend
Gods of War
1000 Points of Light
Laughing in the Hiding Bush
Fire
Sacred Cowboys
No Way Out...To Be Continued
No Way Out...Continued

I think all three are as good or better than virtually all of BTP.

Though I really, really like BTP as is, I have to agree. I especially find the No Way Out... songs spectacular.

I am quite worried what will happen when Skunkworks joins the mix, as I fear many of that record's songs will be quickly dispatched with.

'Shoot All The Clowns' is easily my favourite song from 'Balls To Picasso'. The 12" extended remix is particularly interesting.

SURVIVOR_RULES_010.jpg

Eliminated:
Dive! Dive! Dive! - 17 votes
Fire - 14 votes
Hell On Wheels - 13 votes

Winds of Change
Darkness be my Friend
Gods of War
1000 Points of Light
Laughing in the Hiding Bush
Sacred Cowboys
No Way Out...To Be Continued
No Way Out...Continued

Sacred Cowboys has such an awesome chorus, but the quasi-rapping in the couplets is hideous.
That's where I've been for years on that song, although I must admit my hatred for the verses has diminished over the years.

Tattooed Millionaire (minus title track, Winds, and Darkness)
Gods of War
Change of Heart
Shoot all the Clowns
Sacred Cowboys
B-sides

Born in 58, Gypsy Road, All the Young Dudes, Winds, Hell No, Change of Heart, Clowns, Fire Child, No Way Out...Continued.

I actually like the fast pace of the verses in Sacred Cowboys (more than the chorus, actually). That riff is really cool.

And I really love Cyclops. I never realized how much of a dreary, heavy song it was until I re-listened to the album last night.

Back