3) Where the Wild Wind Blows
4) The Longest Day
5) Sea of Madness
6) The Evil That Men Do
7) The Number of the Beast
8) Starblind
9) These Colours Don't Run
10) Innocent Exile

Unfortunate to miss out: Wasted Years, Dance of Death, Infinite Dreams, Childhood's End, The Talisman

The Angel and the Gambler and From Here to Eternity descended deep into the pits of mediocrity, missing the top ten by a noticeable margin.

Bonus question for those still in the running...who played the third solo in Starblind (during the main instrumental break after H's noodling and Dave's rockin' blert?

Action Plan - Tim to wake up middayish, cook up some eggs and a coffee before walking down to the beach for a dive.

Bonus question for those still in the running...who played the third solo in Starblind (during the main instrumental break after H's noodling and Dave's rockin' blert?

A solo site tells me that the one you refer to as Dave's is in fact Janick's BUT I highly doubt it. The middle solo sounds very Davish. I think the third one is Adrian again but not sure.

Janick doesn't play a solo on Starblind. There's one Dave solo (with the sudden mood change) and the rest of it is all Adrian.

Hmmm revisions

1. Hallowed be thy Name
2. Sign of the Cross
3. Powerslave
4. Revelations
5. Aces High
6. Blood on the World's Hands
7. The Clairvoyant
8. Infinite Dreams
9. Brave New World
10. 2 A.M

SO tough....Not in order:

Infinite Dreams
Moonchild
For the Greater Good of God
Revelations
Drifter
Where Eagles Dare
Rime
Sea of Madness
Starblind
Remember Tomorrow

This is my list. It's in order, except the first two songs sometimes switch places.

1. Powerslave
I love that main riff, I love that chorus with those 80's backing vocals and I love the SOLOS! Oh god, how I love the solos and the harmony part at 4:19! It is so beautiful it nearly brings tears to my eyes. And of course I love the way they return to the main riff near the end.

2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Again, this one made me love both H and Davey - their trading-off solos and the harmony leads in the last three minutes are unique not only to Maiden, but to mankind. :edmetal:

3. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
The masterpiece of the BNW album, Davey's stellar closing contribution, a majestic epic so emotional it could move a rock. The atypical first part with the very interesting and unusual group chorus and overall feeling closer to hard rock than heavy metal, the progression of the song into that slow sombre ending, all spiced with some of Mr Murray's best solos ever... Such a shame they never played this one live!

4. Sea of Madness
H's moment of glory. This song reminds me the most of the whole SIT album, which is my favourite, and which is also very H-influenced - and yeah, I love that, even though H isn't my favourite Maiden guitarist (three guesses who is, har har :D ). This song simply rules, from the chaotic intro riff, to the slow middle part, to the emotional chorus and the solo is again one of Adrian's best moments.

5. Judas Be My Guide (surprise, surprise, surprise :innocent: )
Extremely catchy song which packs in 3 minutes pretty much everything I love in Maiden (except the epicness, of course). I especially love the transition between the verse and the chorus ("Is that all there is? Can I go now?"), Davey's guitar heroics in the beginning is great and the cynical lyrics are interesting as well.

6. Out of the Silent Planet
This is the second masterpiece off the BNW album. The intro features some amazing guitar and the opening "Out of the Silent Planet we are" melody is magnificent, even more when it's guitar-repeated in the middle around 3:14.

7. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
One of the reasons I love SIT so much. My favourite moments are the "lonely" intro guitar, the progression from the complex verse to the majestic chorus and the whole middle part.

8. Stranger in a Strange Land
Another off SIT. One of H's best songwriting contributions, topped probably only by SOM. The somewhat cold and detached music matches the lyrics perfectly and from the verse one really gets the feeling of being in a vast Arctic plane. "No brave new world" as a foreshadowing of their future album. :-D

9. Aces High
Along with the Wicker Man it's one of their best openers - a breakneck tempo, catchy melody and Bruce really goes sky-high here. :shred:

10. No More Lies
Again, it's about the guitar - the riff that starts at 0:24 is the stuff dreams are made of.

But it's really hard to pick. I suppose nos. 7-10 could be on some days replaced by some of the following:

Caught Somewhere in Time (amazing guitarwork and the synth intro is simply wonderful)

Lord of Light / BTATS (love both, can't pick)

Ancient Mariner (of course! - no pun intended :D )

Starblind (H rules supreme here!)

FotD (the STUDIO version - yes, I have personal reasons to like that one)

To Tame a Land (again, the intro/outro riff is magnificent and I love it's about Dune)

Phantom of the Opera (a great song, complex, with somewhat atypical verse melody and a great transition between the instrumental passage and the final "and you know and I know" melody)

The Nomad (a wonderful Davey track - love the Arabic overtones and the proggy flow it has)

Sign of the Cross (although slightly too slow in the beginning, the instrumental part from 7:57 to 10:10 is again completely stunning)

and many more...

No Hallowed, no Number, no Hills - hope I don't get crucified :halo: :bigsmile:

For me :-

1. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
2. Die With Your Boots On
3. Wasted Years
4. Aces High
5. Fear Of the Dark
6. Paschendale
7. Infinite Dreams
8. Talisman
9. Ghost Of the Navigator
10. Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Absolutely impossible to whittle my favourites down to just 10, but here goes! These are the ones I enjoy more than others.

• Where The Wild Wind Blows
  • Blood Brothers
  • Brave New World
  • Afraid To Shoot Strangers
  • The Talisman
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  • The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
  • Moonchild

They're not in order in anyway.

Other memorable mentions:

• For The Greater Good of God
  • Fear of The Dark
  • Paschendale
  • The Clairvoyant
  • Dance of Death
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Wrathchild (Rock in Rio version, of course)
  • Mother Russia
  • The Man Who Would Be King
  • Children of the Damned
  • The Prisoner
:)

My top 10:

(not in any order)

Prowler
Where Eagles Dare
Benjamin Breeg
Remember Tomorrow
Infinite Dreams
Powerslave
No Prayer For The Dying
Can I Play With Madness
To Tame A Land
Hallowed Be Thy Name

1. Aces High
2. Where Eagles Dare
3. Iron Maiden
4. The Trooper
5. Phantom Of The Opera
6. Hallowed Be Thy Name
7. The Number of the Beast
8. Caught Somewhere In Time
9. Moonchild
10. 2 Minutes To Midnight
Pretty generic choices, I guess. But I like fast songs.

Honorable mentions:
Invaders
Transylvania
Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra)
The Prisoner
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Children of the Damned
Powerslave
Running Free
Caught Somewhere In Time

1. Aces High
2. Where Eagles Dare
3. Iron Maiden
4. The Trooper
5. Phantom Of The Opera
6. Hallowed Be Thy Name
7. The Number of the Beast
8. Caught Somewhere In Time
9. Moonchild
10. 2 Minutes To Midnight
Pretty generic choices, I guess. But I like fast songs.

You're so metal Luke.

1 Wicker Man
2 Killers
3 The Fugitive
4 The Clairvoyant
5 Revelations
6 Remember Tomorrow
7 The Clansman
8 The Duellists
9 Out of the silent planet
10 Children of the Dammned

Back