Official Football Thread

Chelsea remind me of 2004's Greece at the moment. A team with a purely defensive lineup with tall defenders (Cahill-Terry/Kapsis-Dellas), two pure defensive midfielders (D. Luiz-Mikel/Basinas-Zagorakis), one actual (Willian/Giannakopoulos) and one made up from defensive midfielder (Ramires/Katsouranis) winger playing on the wings with only one guy in front to try to grab long balls (Torres/Charisteas). And they only rely on dead balls to score just like Greece did. Greeks were heavily bashed for their style of play, can't say Chelsea is any more fun.

It's actually a bigger shame because Greece did what they had to do, they were one of the weakest teams in the competition. Chelsea have very good attacking options like Oscar and Schürrle waiting on the bench.

Flash, Greece was the strongest team of 2004: they won the trophy.

I don't get what is the problem with defensive football. Surely, we can say it's bad for our eyes, but defensive football style was invented 60 years ago.

Some stuff I read on Manchester United forums:
- When they lost 2-0 to Olympiacos, Moyes was shouting at the 4th official and one of the United players on the bench shouted out to the official "send him off, we'll be better for it". Steve Round (assistant manager) and Phil Neville heard it.
- Moyes was also mocked for being seen reading books on how to be a great manager (business related books). How to go from good to great or something was one of them.
- Some players had bets on how long it would be before Moyes got the sack.
- Steve Round had the name of "Fuck Off Round" amongst the players.
- Moyes completely shit on Rio Ferdinand + RVP in a post-match drink with another manager and it got back to Rio.
- Paul Scholes jumped at the chance to coach under SAF + now Giggs, but he rejected working under Moyes after disliking the few training sessions he was involved with.
- Players were given videos of Everton matches to study (!).

Sorry and shame on me to the diehards (I haven't followed Barca that well in the last years so I don't know an assistant coach or someone who coached Barca for 13 months) but I had to look up who he is.

Rest in peace nonetheless.

Louis van Gaal to Manchester United! After the World Cup he'll start.

Looking forward to this. Not only has he a name of making clubs better, but he's also a "joy" in the media. :)

I am mighty curious how he'll fare in the Premier League!

According to newspaper De Telegraaf Man U and Van Gaal had their first talk two weeks ago. Van Gaal only wanted to talk about a contract after Moyes was fired. He gets 100 million Euro to attract players.

Here a taste of his English (recorded a few months ago):

By the way: this is nice:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27155713

Last edited:
Also, he takes no shit from anyone, lol:
I think this one could be staged, but there can be plenty of annoyance when people ask him questions. :)

Too bad there are no subs for this vid:

Legendary is the one that starts at 4.33. At some point he says:
"Then why do you ask this question? Am I the one who is so smart or are you so stupid?"

@Perun and others check his hilarious "contribution" to German in this little compilation. :)

Last edited:
Holy shit.
MellowKindGermanpinscher.gif

Sunderland are on their way for an epic relegation-avoid campaign. Draw against City, win against Chelsea, 4-0 crushing of Cardiff and suddenly they're not in the relegation zone anymore.

I was just about to say: the real hero of that match was Schwarzer. Great goalkeeper, always was, still is.
Congrats to Chelsea (and supporters ;-)

Call him a genius or tactician, but I fucking hate Jose Mourinho. Disgrace to football. Score a lucky goal, park the bus, waste time from the moment the second half starts. Meh. I don't even like Liverpool but that was sad.

Back