Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I personally get annoyed by how Janick constantly butchers solos live, especially when they're not even his. For example, they'll hand off an iconic H or Davey lead to give Janick something to do, and he just royally screws it up.

Revelations on Flight 666 is a prime example of this.

Not Maiden directly, but the Live at Donnington '92 video. For me, it's almost unwatchable, the editing is atrocious!

Last edited:
No tours to Australia between the Fear of the Dark tour and Somewhere Back in Time - missing the A Matter of Life and Death tour really hurt. Europeans and Americans...count yourselves spoilt!

I personally get annoyed by how Janick constantly butchers solos live, especially when they're not even his. For example, they'll hand off an iconic H or Davey lead to give Janick something to do, and he just royally screws it up.

This is quite annoying but does raise a smile with me sometimes, just to see how badly Janick can do with it. What DOES really annoy me is when he solos AT THE SAME TIME as Adrian, like on The Trooper and Evil That Men Do, what is that all about? Janick actually screwing up over the top of H, highly irritating!!

The setlist grumbles reside with me too

I'm annoyed that, after TFF released, they mentioned in interviews that it would not be as long to 'til the next album. At this rate it will be even longer. I know Rod has their schedule mapped out several years in advance, and I can assume that reception to their Maiden England tour was better than expected, so more shows were added, etc. Still...I want another album.

This is quite annoying but does raise a smile with me sometimes, just to see how badly Janick can do with it. What DOES really annoy me is when he solos AT THE SAME TIME as Adrian, like on The Trooper and Evil That Men Do, what is that all about? Janick actually screwing up over the top of H, highly irritating!!

It's supposed to create a delay effect or something.

Things that annoy me when it comes to Iron Maiden?

1. Janick Gers isn't even a hundreth as bad a guitarist as some fans make him. (A top 5 guitarist for me personally - excellent tone, brilliant vibrato and fast runs that are unique in that they sound sloppy but make it through anyway. The Alchemist solo is perhaps the finest example. Unintentional or unmusical notes are very seldom heard from Gers. Listening to Mr Smith however, and they're abundant - just disguised well in the mix.)

Things that annoy me when it comes to Iron Maiden?

1. Janick Gers isn't even a hundreth as bad a guitarist as some fans make him. (A top 5 guitarist for me personally - excellent tone, brilliant vibrato and fast runs that are unique in that they sound sloppy but make it through anyway. The Alchemist solo is perhaps the finest example. Unintentional or unmusical notes are very seldom heard from Gers. Listening to Mr Smith however, and they're abundant - just disguised well in the mix.)

You are still describing him as "bad", though...

Also, I think that's a problem with the fans, not the band.

I'm interested to know what people mean when they say Janick screws up. His style isn't to everyone's liking, it comes across at chaotic to some, he certainly isn't going to play solos the same way as Adrian. But is there actually a widely-acknowledged example of him really messing up and playing badly? Any links? (And no, falling off the stage doesn't count).

I'm interested to know what people mean when they say Janick screws up. His style isn't to everyone's liking, it comes across at chaotic to some, he certainly isn't going to play solos the same way as Adrian. But is there actually a widely-acknowledged example of him really messing up and playing badly? Any links? (And no, falling off the stage doesn't count).

I'm in no way a Janick hater and this is in no way a widely-acknowledged example but I think it's pretty bad:

Gawd. ::)
*trudges off to YouTube*

EDIT: I can't find it. And I have more important stuff to do. :p

Last edited:
I agree with the thrust of what you're trying to say; namely that Gers is a decent player. However his live tone (at least how it's mixed & comes across in live releases) is sometimes pretty muffled sounding. His solo on The Alchemist is indeed a good example of his playing; an excellent piece, I think. "Excellent tone" I can readily agree with in respect to studio releases; I cannot agree in regard to live, for the reasons cited above. I want to hear those notes. Not sure if this is Gers or the mix though. "Brilliant vibrato"? Hmm. I think he's said himself (can't find the interview offhand) that he plays with little or no vibrato. When he does use it, it's pretty quick & very narrow. His staccato runs are certainly his trademark with his lead playing, as you mention. He's pretty good at this; & certainly original. I don't hear many other guitar players sounding like this.

In regard to H: are you referring to his live playing?

There are mess ups in just about any seperate live track.

You are right. A few months ago an H track of Number of the Beast (Rock in Rio) was published here, and it was really awfull. As far as clean playing is concerned, only Davey reaches it live.
But is Janick's mess really intentional ?

You are right. A few months ago an H track of Number of the Beast (Rock in Rio) was published here, and it was really awfull. As far as clean playing is concerned, only Davey reaches it live.
Again, I'm not sure if this reflects playing or the mix. Adrian, in older releases, was always very quiet sounding in the mix compared with Dave. Is this what it actually sounded like live? I'm not so sure. Janick on the other hand really does, on occasion, sound awful in the mix. There's no getting away from this. This doesn't have anything much to do with his actual playing & technique though. Agree with what you say in regard to Dave; his live tone & playing, on almost all the lead work you care to name, is lovely.

I have listened to the majority of the Rock in Rio H track and it's definitely not very clean but not as sloppy as that Janick track.
You're probably right about Dave, this track is very good:

I think Davey deliberately wants a "sweet" sound. I don't know how to put it, but his playing never sounds forced. H on the other hand probably likes a more raw sound. When I listen to their two solos on Quest for Fire, I cannot help to notice the difference, but at the same time, H part is fantastic. Same thing with his great solo on Losfer Words : precise, perfectly fitting the song, but not as flowing as Davey would have been. Anyway, I'm not objective : I'm in love with his playing adn he is by far my favorite guitarist.

Back