The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Nice AOS episode...

My god, this show is getting good. I'm now quite glad how quickly they rushed the Ward/Skye storyline (as long as he does not get redeemed). Next week's episode will be quite interesting.

The Monster of the Week was rather humdrum, especially since they just Ghostbustered him into nonexistence. However, Amy Acker Amy Acker Amy Acker. That's all I have to say.

Excited for the reappearance of Hill next week. This season seems like it will come to a really cool close.

The string of strong episodes continues. That one rolled like clockwork.
Is it just me, or have the actors playing Sky and Ward gone from weak links to strengths?
Both were superb this week.
The lie detector scene was great piece of character building.
Little surprised they gassed Koenig so quickly. He was a cool character.
(or maybe they didn't)
Also, Tripp as a Howling Commando grandson was a nice touch.

Live review of the episode by me :D
You lying bastard Ward.
Yeah, as suspected Ward will stay behind, while anyone capable of fighting him leaves... Very smart Coulson, good job. May, the voice of reason.
May was married? I bet she killed the guy :D
Trip is Gabe Jones' grandson? Nice! That finally puts to rest theories that he's with Hydra. Also could result in some cool stuff: Gabe does something in Agent Carter and then Trip tells the story of his grandfather doing that :D
Nice references to CA: TWS during the interrogation.
LOL @ Fitz: "What's in the box?" - "Simmons", and his face @ Trip's grin.
I expected Ward to jump and kick Koenig in the head when he said "Yes" to "Are you associated with Hydra?". Ugh, motherfucker got away with it after all. I don't quite understand what he put in his finger and why.
Fitz is so jealous :D
Good that Coulson didn't tell them that Fury's alive.
Aaaaand the love triangle stays behind :D
Where did they plan to put Blackout after taking him in? Fridge's gone, guys.
Poor Coulson, I hope he reveals himself to Audrey by the end of the episode :|
Yeah May, great idea to leave Ward with Skye. Good job, great decision :mad:
Also, LOL @ Banner joke :D
I don't believe a word Ward's saying about his family... even if it's true, then he's the bully brother he's talking about.
Blackout's line delivery is weird...like faking a Russian accent or something. Or that's just guy's normal voice :D
Fuuuuu, I didn't expect Koenig will die so fast. Br00tal scene.
Smart Skye! Good thinking. I'll say it once again: I truly believe Ward is either Hydra or a third unrevealed, but still bad side. Bad, bad, bad.
I was expecting Maria Hill in the car. So May's mom is either CIA, FBI or Stark. Or some other American spy agency :p
Overall, great episode, lot of stuff to talk about. Team's separated into 3 now. Skye's in a very tough position.

Last edited:
Definitely a good run they've got going, shame it's only 3 eps to go.

Lie detector was definitely good character building over a very short time, without feeling rushed. Amongst other things we learnt that May is married and Tripp's howling commando grandfather pretty much eliminates any remaining HYDRA possibility.

Early in the series it felt like Fitz & Simmons had a connection, but neither of them 'realised' it to an extent, Fitz being more interested in Skye. But these past few episodes Fitz has really been coming around to Simmons in a much bigger way, probably realising that Tripp's presence had quite an effect on him that he wasn't expecting. Simmons seemed to have no interest in Tripp at all to begin with, but that last episode seemed to change that. I'd still rather none of those 3 get involved with anyone, I just don't see Fitz or Simmons as being interesting enough in a relationship to bring anything extra to the show.

I assume May would be why Hill shows up next episode, unless she disappears for longer and then reappears at a saving the day moment later on. It's interesting to see the "The price was too high" moment from her, understandable though if she cares for him as much as indicated. I guess she went to try and find out the truth about TAHITI to regain his trust.

Shame Eric is gone already :( I loved how calmly he raised the gun and pointed at Ward during the lie detector. Although given the hint it gives to the person in the chair I would've more expected him to just hover over an electric shock button or something - especially for incapacitating rather than killing.

Ward began to be just a little TOO unsubtle at the end lol, every conversation with Skye mentioned the hard drive. She's clearly hidden a warning for the others on those 'windows' in the base. Coulson removing Furys secret bases one by one - first TAHITI and now this :p

I liked that the Cellist had a previous history with Daniels rather than it being an "attack the girlfriend to hurt the person who put me away" trope.

For some unknown reason I think Skye irritated me a bit this week, I haven't previously had any feelings for or against her. The only reason I can think of that she might have annoyed me is the way she looks while in 'lovesick puppy' mode, no particular reason, just don't think it suits her. So glad that this Ward/Skye thing is coming to an end quite quickly. The connection shall linger and affect them both but there won't be luvvyduvvy scenes going on.

That's something I love about Coulson at this stage, even though SHIELD is technically gone, he still see's it as his duty to protect people - because he has the ability to.

And here we go! Blackout is showcasing his powers as we begin, pretty cool and neat. I'm a fan of this, and I hope he is more than a one-off. Oh man did he just Rogue that guy? Coooooool.

Lovely recap of how Ward is a douchebag. I like Trip though. Simmons flirts with anything with a chiselled chest, eh?

Man, Coulson is a fucking hero. He doesn't stop, ever. He's really the ideal SHIELD agent. Patton Oswalt is great, btw. "Moving speech. Truly."

Trip's granddad is a Howling Commando. Is it Gabe or is it the French guy? who knows. So badass.

Simmons is in Fitz's box. Awwwwww. I thought he wanted it the other way around.

Yay lanyards! Koenig LOVES lanyards. He's all about that. Got fooled by Ward though. Interesting indeed.

Ward is giving love advice to Fitz, and then being a huge douchebag about it.

Is the chick in Portland Coulson's ex cellist? Should be interesting to see. OH IT IS. Awesome. She's in the PDX Philharmonic. Kinda creepy setup here, I like it though. This is a really fantastic episode so far...I couldn't imagine seeing someone like that show back up. Also, They sure aren't in the CIA.

Blackout is badass. Now Koenig is being kind of a jackoff to Skye. Oh man, the lanyard!

"You want to hack the NSA?" Skye: *nods all like, well fuck yeah*

Time to reminisce about her relationship with Coulson. This should be sad. Yep...there they are. The feels.

Ward now talking to May. Well, this is interesting. Looks like she was going to go, and I wonder how that will make Ward feel. If he is capable of feeling a damn thing. I wonder if Ward is worried about this NSA footage. Oh he just closed the door!

"Who did you say created this technology again?" "Bruce Banner." "Then I'm sure it'll go off without a hitch." LOL

Now he is totes hitting on Skye. In the line of HYDRA duty. Good ol' HYDRA.

Well it really does seem like Ward is done with. Damn, this show is fucking good. How violently dead is Koenig? ALL the violently dead! Skye vs. Ward!

Blackout is getting nuked by...is that the Care Bear stare, or is that the Ghostbusters proton packs? Hard to say. Sure as hell didn't work! Coulson to the rescue, and Trip! I like Trip more and more every episode he is in.

Random thought: even Skye's name is a clue she is a 0-8-4. Skye - she's from the sky. And right now she is freaking the fuck out, because she knows that Ward is a murderizing HYDRA. Then she kissed him again anyway! Ward taught her well.

Fitz, fucking TELL her.

And wow, now Ward is taking Skye down to...wherever.

And Melinda May's mother picked her up. That's fucking hilarious.

Oh, the finger thing? probably used a bit of metal to fuck with the lie detector. It's a well-known trick.

Is it just me, or have the actors playing Sky and Ward gone from weak links to strengths?
Both were superb this week.

I very much agree, especially Skye.

For some unknown reason I think Skye irritated me a bit this week, I haven't previously had any feelings for or against her. The only reason I can think of that she might have annoyed me is the way she looks while in 'lovesick puppy' mode, no particular reason, just don't think it suits her.

I'm fine with any way Skye looks...

I'd still rather none of those 3 get involved with anyone, I just don't see Fitz or Simmons as being interesting enough in a relationship to bring anything extra to the show.

Indeed. Especially if they try a Fitz/Simmons relationship. There's just no reason to do something so silly. They're perfect as is. I really don't think they're trying to push that, anyway.

When Fitz said, "I don't like change" (or whatever he said) I took that to mean: he's feeling uncomfortable because Simmons is clearly interested in Tripp. He doesn't want to see her with anyone because it will change their relationship, not necessarily because he wants to date her.

At least, that's my impression. I hope I'm right.

When Fitz said, "I don't like change" (or whatever he said) I took that to mean: he's feeling uncomfortable because Simmons is clearly interested in Tripp. He doesn't want to see her with anyone because it will change their relationship, not necessarily because he wants to date her.

At least, that's my impression. I hope I'm right.

That was my impression initially, but not after this week.

My main reason for not wanting to see either of FitzSimmons in a relationship is because I think they would both appear awkward more than anything. They are great when it comes to dialogue, especially between them, and I think can pull off a couple feeling in that way, but not in the physical way. Awkward is literally the best word I can think for it. As for the two of them pairing off together, as much as Simmons clearly cares for him, I think "The Hub" was the most she's looked like having interest and it's faded since then, if there is anything there for her, in the way the character is being played right now I would reckon she doesn't even realise it herself and wouldn't unless Fitz was to disappear entirely - causing her to worry and have an "Oh.. " moment.

The show is really getting stronger, the writing is better but ultimately the increased strength comes from them having reached the stage that the background for the characters and the trust within the group has been established enough that it can move away from 'villain of the week' situations designed for team bonding. I would expect the season to not quite wrap up all the loose ends (mostly the loss of SHIELD one) but tie up the immediate ones (Garrett/Ward/Centipede), then the second season (assuming/hoping it happens) to begin with a few 'of the week' to make sure the team stays together while the next big bad emerges. I'd certainly hope they didn't just show one in the first show right away, just a few episodes to help establish where things have gone over the break.

A well-written episodic show trying to do an overall storyline needs villains of the week, but in the long run, almost none of the events of the previous episodes have turned out to be in a vacuum. They've all built towards this season's conclusion.

Graviton has been released, the Berserker Stick reclaimed. We learned what a 0-8-4 is and why it's important. TAHITI. The agent with the eye. Centipede. It's all part of the structure of the show, and that's what gives it the strength it has.

Skye: "The hard drive is safer in your hands...you haven't taught me how to stand up to torture yet."
Ward: "We'll get to that."

GROWL HATE HATE HATE HATE

Back